Scandal surrounds Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll?

Discussion in 'News and Articles' started by 福井舞, Sep 19, 2014.

1. surprised no one brought this up already

but I personally think people are making too big deal out of it.

bullying and viciousness within body of Christ is nothing uncommon.

the only reason Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll is receiving such attention is because one, it is a big church, and two, Mark Driscoll is well known.

there are tons of preachers doing this in smaller ordinary churches , but you wont hear what they did.

2. Just as an aside.....

A "Skandalon" is a leg trap... It's translated as a "Stumbling block" in the bible... but the word literally indicates a booby trap intended to maim or incapacitate a person or animal by injuring the legs..... To make it impossible to "Walk"....

Now... Think about how often "Traps are set" to intentionally injure someone's walk with Christ or to destroy their ministry....

Realize that frequently - this is done INTENTIONALLY to Incapacitate someone's ministry... To make it impossible for their ministry to continue..... That person must now focus Inward on their own personal injuries rather than outward on their ministry....

I have been looking recently at the Church of Pergamos in Revelation Ch. 2... The first charge levied against them is that they have those "Setting stumbling blocks".....

INTENTIONALLY setting traps designed to incapacitate a ministry or ruin someone's personal walk with Christ.....

Now... Look at Jesus' answer to this... Repent quickly or I will come fight against them with the Sword of my Mouth.....

This "Sword" is not the "Sword of the Spirit" listed in Paul's epistles and Hebrews (Which was a one handed slashing sword used to Divide)..... The Sword here is properly a Thracian long bladed Javelin... It's a "sword" used to Pierce - not Divide.... Jesus is NOT going to divide the truth from the error... He is going to Pierce and destroy.

And.. That should give us pause..... That Causing and Perpetuating Scandal is one of the FEW places where Jesus declares He will personally DESTROY those practicing such... And.. even more concerning... This pertains to "Believers" who are involved with setting up these "Scandals"...

3. Another thing.... I have several good friends who are ministers and/or are involved directly with administration of churches.....

One of the BIGGEST issues they run into is people/leaders within the church wanting to usurp power where it's not their place to do so.... A perfect and unfortunately typical example is the Rebellion of Korah listed in Jude - but occurs back in Numbers 16....

Unfortunately, many times - these people have to be given 2 choices - Humble yourself or go..... And.. They typically don't like either one..... which results in the Pastor being forced to forcibly remove them from office.....

And... When that happens - you see situations like this blowing up..... look at what's going on... The "Mad" members who got sacked for their Mutiny are blowing it up to destroy the leader who is in the RIGHT!

4. I think you are generalizing a bit here.....

could the situation you are describing happening?

sure

is this what happening in Mars Hill, well, I am not part of that church, I cant really say.

but it is not just one complaint being laid against him, and apparently him himself has admitted he done "some" wrong.

also there are more ways to destroy one's walk with God, and I am certain a nasty pastor could do it just as efficiently.

lastly, the different between a pastor and an ordinary member of congregation is that a pastor is in a "role", hence she and he need to remember the obligation that comes with that role.

for example, if a person is working in a health profession, such as nursing, then they "have" the "obligation" to act professionally towards patients while they are in that role. If a patient is behaving in appropriate manner, they still have to make sure they behave professionally, and they cant stuff up that patients' medication or deny them access to healthcare unreasonably.

that doesn't mean health profession cant stand up for themselves in a professional manner, but they cant abuse their role, regardless of what the other person do.

the principle is illustrated by God's dealing with King David.

Lastly, a pastor does not have absolute power, they are and should be accountable to the church.