1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Sage Burning For Cleansing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Apologia, Jun 4, 2014.

1. I've heard of many Christians doing this but have yet to find a scriptural basis for it. In fact I was reading through the rest of Isaiah this morning and came across this:

Isaiah 65:2-5

All day long I have held out my hands
    to an obstinate people,
    who walk in ways not good,
    pursuing their own imaginations—
    3 a people who continually provoke me
    to my very face,
    offering sacrifices in gardens
    and burning incense on altars of brick;
    4 who sit among the graves
    and spend their nights keeping secret vigil;
    who eat the flesh of pigs,
    and whose pots hold broth of impure meat;
    5 who say, ‘Keep away; don’t come near me,
    for I am too sacred for you!’
    Such people are smoke in my nostrils,
    a fire that keeps burning all day.

I have read other books concerning spiritual warfare and most authors say that sage burning for house cleansing can actually attract demonic spirits. This would make sense because you are using something in the place of God instead of using the authority given to us to cast out anything evil in Jesus' name.

IMO, house cleansing is weird to begin with. Why give something attention that may or may not be there? Has anyone had their house blessed or cleansed? Thoughts?
  2. I have never heard of this before! sounds like some pagan cultural thing.. in India people always burn something in their houses.. No one knows why they have to do it! Makes the whole house so smelly..

I think the passage in Isaiah is limited to Israel not performing sacrifices as per the prescribed law.. Interesting why Christians would adopt sage burning..

My house is always cleansed by Blood of the Lamb :D My wife does this.. She would take prayer oil, mix it with water, pray over it and spray it at different parts of the house.. I don't have a problem with that.. Also, i don't think that is needed..But she does that with all her heart and faith.. So I never question or complain about it..
  3. That makes a lot more sense.
  4. Burning incense or sage is a symbol of your prayers going upward to whatever God they worship. It symbolizes air/spirit. As a Druid I used incense to help me meditate. Now I just like the smell lol.
  5. Burning sage the way people do it is pagan and is used in the practice of the occult.
  6. Having a Christmas tree is pagan, and yet most Christians have one in there house. This therefore is an occult practice
  7. #7 Euphemia, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Not really.

As for the sage burning, we see Wiccans and other occultists and New Agers, not to mention spiritually ignorant (and seeking) people doing this.
  8. Would celebrating and decorating for birthday parties be considered pagan as well?
  9. Never really seen anything for birthday parties when I was involved.
  10. So if I use incense when I pray, would you consider this to be pagan?
  11. No, just religious.
  12. Or theatrical
  13. Burning incense vs. burning sage are often done in different practices.
    Sage is often used to rid evil spirits as a sort of pagan practice, I believe it was especially a practice within different Indian nations.

Burning incense is different as it doesn't literally do anything but represent our prayers being lifted up to God. The practice is pretty ancient, but is also referenced in Revelation 8:3 and 5:8.

I enjoy burning incense. I tend to associate the smell of burning frankincense to deep prayer and it helps me focus when I pray, especially since I can have trouble focusing sometimes. But it's not a necessary practice, and whether incense is burning or not, it will reach God.
    Huntingteckel likes this.