Sabbath 8/16/14 Daytona Sdb Pastor Wray Sermon “dirty Kisses”

Sabbath 8/16/14 Daytona SDB Pastor Wray sermon “Dirty Kisses” Romans 6:1-2

I have read this scripture from different Bible translations: New KJV, Amplified, American Standard, NIV etc. They all make the same point in that those who call themselves Christians should not continue living in sin because they have died to sin.
There is a story about a problem in a middle school in Oregon. The girls were putting on lipstick and then kissing the restroom mirrors. This left dozens of messy lipstick prints all over the mirrors, which the bathroom custodian had to clean up. The female Principal made a plan to stop this. She summoned the girls and the custodian into the female restroom. After the Principal told the girls the messy problem they were causing, the girls did not care. The girls were just irritated about being called into the restroom and they let the Principal know this. The Principal continued on with her scheme. She asked the custodian to show the girls how he had been cleaning their lipstick off the mirrors each day. The custodian took out his long handled toilet brush, dipped it into a toilet and scrubbed the mirrors with the toilet brush! The girl’s mouths dropped open in shock! The room was filled with “yucks!” and “that’s nasty!” and loud gagging noises that showed their disgust. Since that demonstration, the lip prints never appeared on the girl’s restroom mirrors anymore.

There is a valuable lesson to be learned from this story. Even when sin seems to be innocent and harmless, as kissing a mirror, we are often unaware of the vile and evil things lurking on the sidelines. These evil things are waiting to wreck havoc and cause trouble in our lives. Have you ever told your children to not let the dog lick their face because you don’t know where the dog has been? You try to warn them but they don’t understand. As a child, I understood this because I had a dog named Jitterbug who lived on the farm. Jitterbug loved nasty, yucky stuff. Whenever she got loose in the cow pasture, she would roll around in the grass, the filth and all, just for fun. I watched her do this in utter disgust but she paid no attention to my opinion of her personal hygiene! Jitterbug had a serious problem with the way she thought. Maybe this was okay for her because she was a dog. But, for Christians to roll around in the filth of sin and to thoroughly enjoy it, is a completely different matter. Can you say Amen to that?

There is something clearly wrong with the heart of a Christian who rolls around in those things that he or she knows they should not be doing. There is something wrong with Christians who enjoy kissing dirty mirrors. In the text, Paul warns the believers to not call themselves Christians if they are going to continue their lifestyle of sin. He says, “Have you forgotten who you are? You are the child of the most High King”. Paul tells us to start acting like it. He is not saying that we will never sin or make mistakes at times. In this passage, he is referring to people who love sin more than they love God. They overlook God’s standards and do their own thing. Paul is saying that Christians have been saved from sin. They should walk in the Newness of Life granted to them by Jesus Christ. Their lives and behavior should reflect their change from the ways of the world. We should refrain from kissing the world and from kissing the whole world. This includes mirrors and dogs.

AMEN

The strength of sin, is the law...the reason so many "Christians" are under the power of sin, is because the law is being taught and not the true gospel of grace.

Ro 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Until a believer is set free from the law, they cannot ever be set free from sin and sins power.

2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

Back