Sabbath 3/12/16 Seventh Day Baptist of Daytona Pastor Wray sermon “Love Yourself”

Sabbath 3/12/16 Seventh Day Baptist of Daytona Pastor Wray sermon “Love Yourself” Matt 22:36-40, John 21:15, John 15:4, Eccl 3:1, Gal 6:3,Psalm 139:14, Romans 5: 8, I John, 4:18, Isaiah 43:25,

Some people are abusive to themselves. The concept of Love is that you use it in relationship with other folk but you should love yourself first. We are commanded to love God and to love your neighbor. In between this is the idea of loving ourselves. In our text, Jesus is teaching us about relationships. We need to love ourselves. Many people do things to themselves, unhealthy and dangerous things. We should love ourselves and do only good things to ourselves. We should eat healthy things and not food that is bad for your system. Love yourself!

If you love God, you can love others and love yourself. John 21:5 Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him and Peter said yes. Then Jesus said feed my lambs and sheep. Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved Him. Peter said yes three times. Jesus told him to feed His sheep. John 15:4. We love God because He first loved us. We should love God with all our heart, mind and strength. We should love our neighbor as ourselves. Love Ourselves! Love Yourself!

The Lord expects us to be honest in our dealings with people. Eccl 3:1. Balance in our lives is important. There is a season for everything in our lives. A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to get and a time to lose. A time to keep silence and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. We are called to love God and our neighbor. Sometimes we don’t focus on the fact that we are to love ourselves. We are not supposed to be boastful or stuck up. We need to love ourselves without being proud and wicked. Gal 6:3. Don’t think you are something with you are nothing. Praise about yourself should come from another person and not from yourself.

We need to understand why we should love ourselves. We are made in the image and likeness of God. Psalm 139:14. Praise God because we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Love yourself then move onto loving others. Romans 5:8. God loved us when we were sinners and Christ died for us. When you love yourself, you are mirroring what God has for you. When you love yourself, there are some things you should not walk in. Love casteth out all fear. God is love. He that dwelleth in God, dwelleth in love. I John 4:18. Perfect love casts out fear. He that fears is not perfect in love. If we don’t have fear, then we can go straight to God with boldness.

Things that Hinder Our Loving Ourselves:

** Low Self Esteem: This can torment us. Moses said he couldn’t do what God wanted him to do. God said “I made you and you can do it!”

** Self Rejection: This is always putting down yourself, saying I can’t do this. Being hard on yourself.

** Self Hatred: Hating the person God made you. Saying I can’t do this and holding your past against you. Holding onto past things and not letting go. In Isaiah 43:25 God said “I even I am He that blotteth out transgressions and will not remember your sins”. God knows what we can be after we accept His forgiveness.

The devil wants us to do self-harm to ourselves. Don’t say negative things about ourselves. God sees us like we are and will make us what He wants us to be. God loves us and we need to love ourselves and accept ourselves. Be all that you can be in the Lord God Almighty! Love yourself. God takes us through training like the army does its basic training. God loves us as He molds us to become what He wants us to be. We need to yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit and Love Ourselves!!

AMEN

Back