Sabbath 11/12/16 Seventh Day Baptist Daytona Pastor Wray sermon “A Call to Patience”

Sabbath 11/12/16 Seventh Day Baptist Daytona Pastor Wray sermon “A Call to Patience” James 5:7-10

“Be patient unto the Lord’s coming”

Patience is a virtue. When we pray for patience we get more affliction. In James’ epistle, he says we should count it all joy when we fall into trials. I have difficulty with that. When troubles arise, we want to get out of it quickly. James says the trying of our faith gives birth to patience. To possess patience leaves us lacking nothing. James says to be patient because the Lord is coming. Patience is not passive but patience is active.

While waiting for the return of Jesus, we must be patient. We need to have practicality in our patience and not be always looking up into the sky. If we do this constant looking up, we will bump into things. We must wait on God’s timing to send Jesus back. We ask God “How long Lord?” like we are children in the car asking “Are we there yet?” If the Lord seems to be delaying, it is because He is merciful and not slack. God is the Judge at the door. We need to guard our tongues with bits and bridles.

In our text, we should be like the farmer and be patient like he is for the harvest to come. Be patient like the man who plants seed and then he patiently waits for the grain to grow. We need to be patient like the prophets were in the Old Testament. They spoke in the name of the Lord and some were hunted down by their neighbors. The people didn’t want to hear the Word of the Lord spoken by the prophets like Jeremiah or Ezekiel. These prophets had patience while waiting on the Lord and doing God’s business as commanded. The prophet Daniel was deported to Babylon where he had to be patient also.

There are many heroes of Faith in the scriptures who waited for the promises of God. We need to wait for Jesus in Faith. We need to patiently wait for the Lord. King David said in Psalms 40 “I waited patiently for the Lord and He turned to me and heard my cry”. We need to wait patiently for the Lord to perform His promises to us.

AMEN

Back