Ruth 4:8-10

Ruth 4:8-10
King James Version (KJV)
8 Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, Buy it for thee. So he drew off his shoe.
9 And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi.
10 Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day.

American English Bible
8 So, the relative said to Boaz: 'Buy it yourself, for the right of inheritance is now yours.' Then he untied his sandal and gave it to Boaz. 9 And Boaz said to the elders and everyone else that was there: 'You people are all witnesses today that I've acquired the right to buy everything that belonged to EliMelech, ChiLion, and MahLon, from NaOmi. 10 And this includes Ruth, the Moabite woman. So, I have also acquired MahLon's woman as mine. Therefore, I will raise a [son] in the name of the one who died, so his inheritance won't be lost. For, I'm his brother, and you and all the people at this gate are my witnesses.'

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 This is what Ruth was hoping would happen; she wanted to marry Boaz because she knew what that he was a man that followed after God and His ways. Boaz makes the commitment to buy it; this allows him the right to marry Ruth.

9 The law required to witnesses. Boaz having the elders there meant that this was legal binding and the other man could not change his mind. There were enough witnesses to call upon if the other man wanted to back out of the deal.

10 He now could marry Ruth. Boaz would be the kinsmen redeemer which was a role to be the provider for a widow after her husband passed without giving her an heir that would care for her. If Ruth would have had a son of age he could have cared for her and by law would have been required to do so until she became remarried.

Back