Ruth 4:5-6

Ruth 4:5-6 King James Version (KJV)
5 Then said Boaz, What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance.

6 And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.

Ruth 4:5-6 The Voice (VOICE)

Boaz: 5 Now, just so you know, on the day you buy this plot of land [from Naomi, you will also acquire Ruth the Moabitess; she is]a]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[a] the dead man’s widow. It will be your responsibility to make sure she has children so that they can carry on her dead husband’s name with the inheritance.

Kinsman-Redeemer:6 Then I will not be able to redeem it. I will not put my own property at risk. I relinquish my right to redeem the land. You do it.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

5 So this meant that he had to marry Ruth he had no problem buying the land but didn’t want a new wife. This could be because of her being a Moabite but is not stated here.

6 He didn’t buy it because he wanted to be able to pass it down to his own children. He knew the law that him buying it would not make it his why he goes into buying it is kind of greedy because he may have been trying to buy it so he could give to his children rather then keep it to whose it was by being the kinsmen redeemer. Sometimes we want only to do half the work wanting the whole reward.

Back