Ruth 3:6-8

Ruth 3:6-8
KJV(i) 6 And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all that her mother in law bade her. 7 And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of corn: and she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down. 8 And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself: and, behold, a woman lay at his feet.
NSB(i) 6 She went down to the floor, and did according to all that her mother-in-law told her. 7 After Boaz ate and drank, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of barley. Ruth approached quietly, uncovered his feet, and lay down. 8 Something startled him about midnight. He saw the woman at his feet.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

6 Ruth is one who follows advice of those she trusts, we need to watch doing this cause even those we trust are not always right. We need first follow God but for many God has put people in our lives to go to for advice, Naomi was this for Ruth.

7 Ruth did not want to wake him; this was to show this was not sexually because she did not want him to know she was there as he slept. Boaz would have been tired after a full day’s work and this maybe why he would not notice her; some people are also heavy sleepers.

8 Boaz finally notices Ruth; this would have after a time of sleep because he may have went to sleep soon after sunset could have been sleeping around 3 or 4 hours before knowing she was there.

Ruth became widowed after marrying an Israelite. She had an Israelite's way of life and couldn't see herself returning to her family, her past, or her gods. Naomi her mother-in-law lost her husband and two sons. She had no option but to return to Bethlehem as a widow and find a way to survive. Naomi's faith grew cold.

"It grieves me very much for your sakes that the hand of the Lorf has gone out against me!" (Ruth 1:13).

Ruth replied (v.16-17):
Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following you; for wherever you go, i will go; and wherever you lodge, i will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, i will die, and there i will be buried. The Lord do so to me, and more also, if anything but death parts you and me.

Both Naomi and Ruth shared tragedy. Ruth though, didn't lose her faith. She insisted on following Naomi to Bethlehem and an unknown future. Naomi was widowed, old, poor and became faithless.
Ruth said to Naomi,

"Please let me go to the field, and glean heads of grain after him in whose sight i may find favour". And she said to her, "Go, my daughter". Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. (Ruth 2:2,3).

Ruth wasn't waiting around for a man to show up and marry her, she worked hard. She took the initiative to make things happen. Naomi complained but Ruth was finding a way to get them out of their situation. Ruth was determined to provide stability for her and her mother-in-law.

Ruth's hard work was noticed by others including Boaz, who owned one of the fields where Ruth was working. Boaz was related to Naomi and he found a way to meet Ruth. He ordered his workers to leave behind some stalks of grain while reaping for Ruth to reap. Ruth had caught Boaz attention and soon became his husband.

It's quite beautiful the story of Ruth. A woman to look up to, a woman who got up and made things happen.
Both Naomi and Ruth had no money, no possessions, no children or farm, and widows.
Naomi told Ruth to "wash and perfume yourself, and put on your best clothes. Then go down to the threshing floor, but don't let him know you are there until he has finished eating and drinking. When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do". (Ruth 3:3-4).
Naomi knew it was time gor Ruth to move on with her life, although still grieving over husband. When Naomi told her to put on her "best clothes", because after a time of mourning she was dressed in black. Boaz would have kept his distance for that reason.
"So she went down to the threshing floor and did everything her mother-in-law told her to do. When Boaz had finished eating and drinking and was in good spirits, he went over to lie down at the far end of the grain pile" (Ruth v6-7).
"She uncovered his feet and lay down..."
"I am your servant Ruth. Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a kinsman-redeemer" (v. 9).

Back