Ruth 2:17-19

Ruth 2:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
17 So she gleaned in the field until even, and beat out that she had gleaned: and it was about an ephah of barley.

18 And she took it up, and went into the city: and her mother in law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed.

19 And her mother in law said unto her, Where hast thou gleaned to day? and where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that did take knowledge of thee. And she shewed her mother in law with whom she had wrought, and said, The man's name with whom I wrought to day is Boaz.

Ruth 2:17-19 The Voice (VOICE)

17 So Ruth worked in the field all day until the sun had nearly set. When she finished picking up the leftover ears, she beat her gathered barley grains from the stalks with a stick. All that work resulted in over 20 quarts of grain.18 Then she carried it back to the city where her mother-in-law saw how much she had gleaned. Ruth took out the leftover food from what she could not eat of her midday meal and gave it to Naomi.

Naomi (to Ruth):19 Where did you go to work today? Where did you glean all this from? May God bless the person who gave you this kind of attention.

So Ruth told Naomi the story of all that had happened to her that day and on whose land she had worked.

Ruth: The man I worked with today is named Boaz.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

17 This shows Ruth as a hard worker; she did all she could do. She worked all day and just gathered a basket full this was just what was left behind. This also showed that they left extra behind because what was left behind was not to pick up so the hunger could eat no hungry person would eat an entire basket.

18 This was what was after she already ate so this is to feed her mother in law and still have some left over. When we come into God’s field like Ruth did with Boaz we get our fill and have plenty left over.

19 Naomi knew that this was to much to be picked up from just what was left behind, she knew that the man who owned the field showed her favor. We are to gain God’s favor.

Back