Ruth 2:17-19

Ruth 2:17-19
KJV(i) 17 So she gleaned in the field until even, and beat out that she had gleaned: and it was about an ephah of barley. 18 And she took it up, and went into the city: and her mother in law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed. 19 And her mother in law said unto her, Where hast thou gleaned to day? and where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that did take knowledge of thee. And she showed her mother in law with whom she had wrought, and said, The man's name with whom I wrought to day is Boaz.
NSB(i) 17 She gathered the heads of grain till evening. After crushing out the seed, it came to about an ephah of grain. 18 She carried it back to town to show her mother-in-law what she gathered. She kept enough for herself and gave Naomi the rest. 19 Her mother-in-law said to her: »Where did you gather grain today? Where did you work? Blessed is the man who gave you this attention.« So she gave her mother-in-law an account of where she had been working, and said: »The name of the man with whom I was working today is Boaz.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

17 Ruth worked the field as Boaz gave her permission to do so. She worked hard to gather the grain. We should be like Ruth and to work and work hard and give it our all.

18 Ruth did not know that she gathered so much because of Boaz talking to his men. This was enough to feed them and also provide for them as well. There was much left over due to the large amount. Boaz did not have to leave this large amount, he just had to let her pick food to eat according to the law, and this shows his generosity.

19 Her mother in law knew that the person who owned the land allowed her to gather so much, Ruth may have known the customs being a foreigner. Naomi would have known Boaz because they were family. Boaz was not the nearest kin but was distant kin.

Back