Ruth 1:6-10

Ruth 1:6-10
KJV(i)6 Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the LORD had visited his people in giving them bread. 7 Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah. 8 And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me. 9 The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept. 10 And they said unto her, Surely we will return with thee unto thy people.
NSB(i)6 Some time later Naomi heard that Jehovah blessed his people by giving them good crops. So she got ready to leave Moab with her daughters-in-law. 7 They started out together to go back to Judah. 8 On the way she said to them: »Go back home and stay with your mothers. Jehovah should be as good to you as you have been to me and to those who have died. 9 »May Jehovah make it possible for each of you to marry again and have a home.« Then Naomi kissed them good-bye and they cried. 10 They said to her: »No! We will go with you to your people.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

6 She would have returned to her own family to find a male family member to care for her since she had no sons and her husband had passed. The famine was also over by now. The people often can trust on our at home whether friends or family but there is no place like home. We can bring home with us where ever we go but it is always great to return home, a safe place.

7 It would have not been common for these women to want to go to a land they may have never been to and were not from. What was common was for them to remarry from their own people. This shows their dedication to their mother in law. They went out if their comfort zone to be with her. Sometimes we should do the same for others. Christ went out of a comfort zone for us and we are blessed because of Him doing so.

8 This was common for them to go back home and find another husband to marry since theirs had died. It was common to start over when famines often occur or droughts which often would bring death during such times. Israel had laws if the husband died leaving his wife without a male heir to care for her. The Moabites may have not had such laws though. These women may have not known what to do. Naomi knew she return home to her people and family.

9 They planned never to see each other again and one of the women would never be seen by them again. A woman did not often live unmarried. A woman was meant to marry and have kids and these women did not have any kids and the two Naomi had died along with her husband.

10 They both at first wanted to go with her this shows they cared for her and saw her as their family now.

Back