Ruth 1:19-21

Ruth 1:19-21 King James Version (KJV)
19 So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and they said, Is this Naomi?

20 And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.

21 I went out full and the Lord hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing theLord hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?

Ruth 1:19-21 The Voice (VOICE)

19 The two women went on together to Bethlehem.

News of their arrival spread throughout Bethlehem. In fact, the whole community was humming with the report, with the women exclaiming, “Could it really be the same Naomi who left us so long ago?”

20 Naomi: Do not call me Naomi ever again, for I am no longer pleasant.
Call me Mara instead, for I am filled with bitterness
because the Highest One has treated me bitterly.

There is a Hebrew wordplay here from Naomi, “pleasant,” to Mara, “bitterness.” Even Orpah (“neck”) turns her back on Naomi.

21 I left this place full, in spite of the famine,
but the Eternal has brought me back empty from a plentiful land.
Why would you call me “Pleasant”
when the Eternal has testified against me,
and the Highest One has brought disaster upon me?

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

19 It had been along time since Naomi had been home so her family was so excited to see her, to see family after a long time or to meet back up with old friends and catch up; this is what was happening here. They did not know Ruth but may have figured out who she was instantly because of her having no sons with her or her husband that she was left of the family.

20 Naomi is blaming the Lord; death is apart of life and God can heal our heart to get thru it. God allowed her to feel this pain, thru Him she would be strong enough to get thru this and He had provided her a friend in Ruth to get thru it. When God allows trouble in our life He provides what we need to get thru it and gives us friends most of the time to help us.

21 She had not returned empty she had her friend Ruth. Sometimes when we are distressed we may say things that hurt those who are close to us and trying to be there for us this can be just a start to push them away. The Lord was not against Naomi, the Lord can be against what we are doing but we being His children then He is never against us but sometimes He has to show though love to get us where we need to be.

Back