Running in circles...a couple questions!

U

Unregistered

Running in circles...a couple questions!

Okay. These are terrible questions, but the thing is, I dont really know where to start. I am thinking maybe if I just ask whats truly on my mind, then it can start a dialog that will help me.

Heres a little background, I started my life out as Catholic, then bounced around all the denominations with my family growing up, everything from Pentecostal to Lutheran.

I ended up getting really frustrated with Christianity, and have recently been really interested in Judaism. But still, there are a lot of things that just dont sit right with me and Judaism.

So then, all of the sudden, I am thinking about Christianity again. I dont know why. I dont know if its because I miss the familiarity and the old "This is right" feeling I used to have before I started really learning about religions, or if its because of something more.

My biggest problems are the hypocrisy in Christianity. Some of the meanest, most immoral people I have ever known were "Christians". I also have a problem with how much Christians judge people and a whole slew of things....how does a religion carry so so so many bigoted, ignorant people and not be terribly flawed?

Also, I have a hard time with Jesus. Okay. So thats a problem being that this is Christianity. But I have actually started thinking about it, I actually took a moment to really think and not just follow because everyone else.

Is Jesus really the messiah? All the things promised, mainly the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth, didnt happen. In fact, people have honestly just gotten meaner and meaner. There was a huge disconnect with the massive change and revolution that Jesus urged, and what actually happened.

How I see it now is, the whole reason why the idea of the Kingdom of Heaven got shifted to an afterlife idea is because people just gave up trying to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to life...and decided it was only possible in death. Then Jesus went from being a revolutionary to a spiritual being.

Jesus was urging to bring change now, and instead Christianity today seems like it all got pushed into "Wait, wait wait....wait to die then you'll have your Kingdom". This isnt messianic to me, this is a religion that based itself around a wonderful revolutionary who was trying to bring into fruition the ideals of Judiasm, then turned him into a magical, all powerful being because those ideals never panned out.

Obviously, youre all going to say I am wrong, but I want that, I want to know how you answer this. I am not trying to bash, I am really saying this is how I think, but I want answers. I want to start a dialoge. I am so so so far out of the loop with Christianity, but something makes me want to understand it. I dont know. Help?

This is what I shared with the believers here. Perhaps it will shed some light for you on this subject, perhaps not.
We are not a perfect people but we serve a merciful God. Jesus (in His earth walk) hung out with all of us problem children. He did not come to use because there was something good about us but because He loved us and wanted to have mercy upon us,

A church is a hospital for souls

Don't expect to go and not find anyone without at least as many problems as you have yourself.

If someone is hypocritical then church is the perfect place to get set free

Love more, look for faults less

If you want to be touched by God reach out and touch someone with His love

Love the unlovely

Be an encourager people don't need to be told what their problems are but instead they are looking for answers so point them to Jesus for He is their answer

Be quick to forgive, give as much mercy as you yourself need (it's usually more than we think)

Don't take offense, see the people who hurt you thru Jesus eyes and your heart will quickly change

Or as the Lord put it so very well- Love ye one another even as I have loved you.

The Deity of Jesus Christ

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

The Witness John

There came a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.
There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Word Made Flesh

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’” For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

John 1:1-18 [NASB]

Dear Lord Jesus, for your glory and honor, please take away the veil from the hearts, please show forth your glory deep within us. Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your beloved Son to save us, bearing our sins on the cross, suffering and dying for us, something we could never do. Thank you for raising Him from the grave and for giving us eternal life in Him. Lord please open the eyes of this soul so that they may receive forgiveness for their sins, and know you, in Jesus' Holy Name.'

'rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.' Acts 26:17-18

Okay. These are terrible questions, but the thing is, I dont really know where to start. I am thinking maybe if I just ask whats truly on my mind, then it can start a dialog that will help me.

These are not terrible questions. Thanks for being honest! :)

Heres a little background, I started my life out as Catholic, then bounced around all the denominations with my family growing up, everything from Pentecostal to Lutheran.
I ended up getting really frustrated with Christianity, and have recently been really interested in Judaism. But still, there are a lot of things that just dont sit right with me and Judaism.
So then, all of the sudden, I am thinking about Christianity again. I dont know why. I dont know if its because I miss the familiarity and the old "This is right" feeling I used to have before I started really learning about religions, or if its because of something more.

My biggest problems are the hypocrisy in Christianity. Some of the meanest, most immoral people I have ever known were "Christians". I also have a problem with how much Christians judge people and a whole slew of things....how does a religion carry so so so many bigoted, ignorant people and not be terribly flawed?

Christians are human beings just like you. We are not perfect. Christianity is full of many different types of people all in every stage of life. You have the slow and peaceful turtles, the happy and excited crickets, and then the mean old hawks.

Sometimes, if we stopped and looked at what causes these people to act like this, we would then understand. A lot of times people are mean or judgmental because they are nervous and/or self-conscious about themselves. Some people are just plain mean and we can't change them.

People will put on a lot of stuff to make you think they're good. God knows these people's hearts and how to change them. A leopard cannot change his spots and we can't change them either.

Also, I have a hard time with Jesus. Okay. So thats a problem being that this is Christianity. But I have actually started thinking about it, I actually took a moment to really think and not just follow because everyone else.

Is Jesus really the messiah? All the things promised, mainly the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth, didnt happen. In fact, people have honestly just gotten meaner and meaner. There was a huge disconnect with the massive change and revolution that Jesus urged, and what actually happened.

How I see it now is, the whole reason why the idea of the Kingdom of Heaven got shifted to an afterlife idea is because people just gave up trying to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to life...and decided it was only possible in death. Then Jesus went from being a revolutionary to a spiritual being.

Jesus was urging to bring change now, and instead Christianity today seems like it all got pushed into "Wait, wait wait....wait to die then you'll have your Kingdom". This isnt messianic to me, this is a religion that based itself around a wonderful revolutionary who was trying to bring into fruition the ideals of Judiasm, then turned him into a magical, all powerful being because those ideals never panned out.

But you see, my dear, we have to be patient with the LORD. This is what happened to the people in the old times. They wanted it NOW, they wanted the Messiah to come and get rid of all their pain and sorrows. When that didn't happen they didn't believe in Him anymore.

God is waiting because He wants those who will be saved to be saved. We all have something we are going to be doing for the LORD and if He came now would we be able to fulfill all of those future plans He had? All things MUST come to pass before Jesus returns.

Just because the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth didn't come right away does not mean it never will. It will come. It will. Just be patient and wait on the LORD!

Obviously, youre all going to say I am wrong, but I want that, I want to know how you answer this. I am not trying to bash, I am really saying this is how I think, but I want answers. I want to start a dialoge. I am so so so far out of the loop with Christianity, but something makes me want to understand it. I dont know. Help?

Why would we say you are wrong? Obviously you want answers! We will give them to you, because we all had to start somewhere. I had questions, too. I needed someone to answer them. Every Christian on this planet had to start at the beginning and go on the road towards the end. I had a beginning, you did, too. Asking questions is how you get answers. Wisdom begins in wonder. Keep it up; you might be on your way to a great future in God. :)

- NTG

Back