Romans 4

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by Big Moose, Oct 23, 2017.

1. NKJV Commentary in blue>>
    Paul left off in Romans 3 presenting faith as the alternative to the requirement to follow the law.
    I was watching a show on PBS about Martin Luther and the Reformation the other night. It made the observation that Luther realized thru studying Romans that works meant nothing in terms of being right with God and that faith was what allowed us to be reconciled to God and grace was given to us thru faith. This and the coruption of the Roman church lead Luther to post the 95 theses and inadvertantly begin the Reformation. If this is true, then you could say Romans 4 inspired the Reformation.
    Romans 4:
    1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? >>I.e. What shall we learn from Abraham and what he realized about his actions? What did God teach him?
    2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. >>Can you imagine if we were justified by our works? Oh, the boasting and the put on fakeness which would run rampant. This verse contained a revolutionary concept. Most religious people of the day and, really, throughout history understood and followed the doctrine of works in exchange for justification, i.e. follow the edicts of the church law and tradition and papal decrees to be acceptable to the elders and priests, and therefore, to God. Even today, many people will tell you “As long as I am a good person, I can get to heaven.”
    3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” >>Paul sets the example for us to follow, asking “what does the Scripture say?”. That is why doctrine must line up and agree with Scripture. Not only did Abraham believe in God, but he believed what God promised. Justified by his belief in God, lining up with John 3:16.
    4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. >>Everyone in free society understands that if you work for someone, they owe you payment for the work. Even in primitive, totalitarian and communist societies many understand the concept. But grace has nothing to do with owing a debt or paying for services.
    5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, >>Just as Abraham was justified, so are we. In Matthew Jesus says we should be just like little children in believing. <“Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” >What does this mean? Atheists who just cannot fathom believing without obvious proof, proof THEY deem as legitimate. They cannot get out of their own reasoning to accept evidence presented. They cannot accept that a good God could allow us to experience the good and the bad and the horrific. The limits they place on what God is… blocks their ability to see outside of the physical universe.
    6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works: >>Again, Paul quotes from Scripture to prove this doctrine, which was and still is revolutionary to those who think they must please God to receive salvation.
    7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
    8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.” >>How blessed we are that God does not hold our sins and failings against us.

AtomicSnowflake likes this.
  2. Adding Some Things to Remember

1. Abraham was not a born again person

2. Out side of being Born Again
    Works are vital and Required for any growth in your salvation or life in Christ.

3. Your Rewards in Heaven depend on your works in the here and now.

4. Your works will be judged and may be burned up with all the un-authorized works done.

5. Faith without corresponding actions is dead, useless and void of any fulfillment.
    Corresponding Actions are Works.

6. Fighting the good fight of faith is works.

7. Standing in total trust without wavering is works.

8. What has been given to us Through or By Grace Must Be Accessed Through or By Faith. Again Works!

9. Even though All the promises of God to us are already ours......they do Not just happen nor can they be accessed without Faith which means fighting and standing which again is works.

10. There are defeated Christians and there are Victory to Victory Christians who Access the Promises of God that are our inheritance.
    Again through Works.

11. These works are not us earning anything or accomplishments that we achieved.

No! These works are the Requirements and Commands given to His People in order to walk in His ways and Experience what is Written in His Word.

Blessings
    FCJ

Cturtle likes this.
  3. I don't believe Paul would agree that standing in faith is a work.
    When Paul refers to "works"..... he is talking about following rules and laws handed down by God and even religious leaders. I do not know of any "Thou shalt have faith greater than a mustard seed." If faith is a work, then you have something to brag or boast about.
    Relying on works for salvation is a lack of faith.
    Therefore faith cannot be considered a work.

I think there should be a distinction drawn between "works" and "good deeds". Works gets used for following requirements of the law. But it also gets used for what we consider good deeds. I think there is a distinction there. Faith without good deeds is dead faith. Faith without following a kosher diet is not dead faith. Working on the sabbath doesn't mean you have dead faith. I think forgiving and showing grace to the woman caught in adultery and not following the law by the letter, by stoning her to death, is faith in action. Yet it is not a "work".

4. I'll have to do some research on the word "works" and "deeds" as used by James and Paul and other instances.
    Thank you FC Jim for the highlighting of this. I expect some better understanding of the issue or the revelations which come from studying His Word. :)

Cturtle and Fish Catcher Jim say Amen and like this.
  5. Not all works equa
    Works equals action
    Faith without Works is dead.

Salvation is a free gift given through or by Grace.
    It is accessed by Faith.

We don't earn it nor do we deserve it .
    It comes forth out of the Love of God.

Now beyond salvation .....
    Works are key.
    It is not good deeds that will get you the victory nor keep you standing strong when it seems all is lost.

Works is far more then keeping a law.
    Keeping a law is, well keeping the law.
    Works does not simply stop there.
    Blessings

Cturtle likes this.
  6. Brother Big Moose,
    One thing that used to trip me up with the word works was thinking it only meant one thing.
    That set me free.

As always it's a pure Blessing talking with you.
    Have a great day
    Blessings

Cturtle likes this.