Revelation

I'm completely fine with the word "religion" having a different definition. The only thing I ask is tell me where you got your definition from, whether it be the dictionary, a bible dictionary, or a verse in the bible.

The dictionary exists for all to have a common understanding of word definitions. There are no exceptions based on beliefs. Sorry Euphemia.

Sure there are, because the word of God is truth. The dictionary is a secular publication that does not have a grasp of spiritual matters. Why you would argue this is beyond belief.

I think this debate is a bit silly in regards to the definition of religion. It's clear you guys both have a different definition of the word. Which I think is completely okay, because words can have many definitions. As long as we understand what the other person is trying to say.

It's funny because when I'm trying to learn Romanian, I'll say a word that I found in the Romanian dictionary, and she'll say, "we don't use that word." Then I'll respond, "ok, but what does the word mean that I just said." She'll tell me it means the same thing, but isn't used, and I always say as long as they get what I'm trying to say.

It doesn't try to. But if it says that Catholics are Christians, which it does, then it is correct.

You have used the dictionary as part of your argument more than once here, and you say you refuse to use the bible. Catholics say they are Christians, but not all are.

I think this debate is a bit silly in regards to the definition of religion. It's clear you guys both have a different definition of the word. Which I think is completely okay, because words can have many definitions. As long as we understand what the other person is trying to say.

It's funny because when I'm trying to learn Romanian, I'll say a word that I found in the Romanian dictionary, and she'll say, "we don't use that word." Then I'll respond, "ok, but what does the word mean that I just said." She'll tell me it means the same thing, but isn't used, and I always say as long as they get what I'm trying to say.
The point I'm making is that the dictionary doesn't compete with the Bible. But it says certain things, including that Christianity is a religion. And if your church goes against that definition, then your church is wrong. It has no leg to stand on.

You have used the dictionary as part of your argument more than once here, and you say you refuse to use the bible. Catholics say they are Christians, but not all are.
Well, if you stood before a judge in a courtroom, for example, and were asked to define a Catholic and said not all Catholics are Christians, and it were disputed for any reason, I think you will find they looked to the dictionary definition, and you would be told you were wrong and/or convicted for perjury.

Well, if you stood before a judge in a courtroom, for example, and were asked to define a Catholic and said not all Catholics are Christians, and it were disputed for any reason, I think you will find they looked to the dictionary definition, and you would be told you were wrong and/or convicted for perjury.

Doubt that!

I think the dictionary is a great tool. However, If I was trying to get a better understanding on a specific word in the Bible, I think I would want to find out what the original word was written in, whether it be Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. Then I would want to get a dictionary that is geared towards that language.

I think the dictionary is a great tool. However, If I was trying to get a better understanding on a specific word in the Bible, I think I would want to find out what the original word was written in, whether it be Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. Then I would want to get a dictionary that is geared towards that language.
I do feel it is important to have the dictionary when we find people with agendas or axes to grind trying to reclaim words or redefine or reshape them. So that WHEN you see people trying to make the case for example that Catholics aren't Christians you can show them the Dictionary definition at which point their argument is effectively over.

Having a personal relationship with Jesus IS NOT religion. It is a personal relationship with your Father, Creator, Savior . Period.

Do you worship God?
Is Jesus God?

Congrats you have a religion. It is NOT a bad word.

If you feel it has a stigma that's you, not the word.

And you need to deal with that. Or evade it so that way you can placate your psyche.

I do feel it is important to have the dictionary when we find people with agendas or axes to grind trying to reclaim words or redefine or reshape them. So that WHEN you see people trying to make the case for example that Catholics aren't Christians you can show them the Dictionary definition at which point their argument is effectively over.

Sure, I don't disagree with that.

Back