Revelation 13

I did a quick word study on "sea". In almost every occurence in the bible it refers to the sea in it's literal sense. Hmmm, I know the traditional interpretation says that in Rev. 13 it refers to the nations (I have always agreed with this) - but why would every other occurence refer to sea in the literal sense?

Not trying to be controversial, just trying to apply basic hermenuetics.

G2281

θάλασσα

thálassa

; gen. thalássēs, fem. noun from háls (n.f., see aigialós [G123]), sea. Sea, as contrasted with the gḗ (G1093), land (Mat_23:15; Act_4:24; Sept.: Gen_1:10) or perhaps more strictly as contrasted with the shore. Another Gr. word, pélagos (G3989), is also translated "sea," but there is a difference. The latter word occurring in Mat_18:6 and Act_27:5
represents the vast uninterrupted expanse of open water.
(I)

Generally, and as implying the vicinity of land (
Mat_13:47; Mat_18:6, "expanse of the sea" [a.t.]; Mar_9:42; Luk_21:25; Rom_9:27; 2Co_11:26; Rev_18:17; Sept.: Gen_22:17; Isa_5:30); the ocean (Rev_20:13; Rev_21:1); the land and sea standing for the whole earth (Rev_7:1-3; Rev_12:12). The heaven, the earth, and the sea standing for the universe (Act_4:24; Act_14:15; Rev_5:13; Sept.: Exo_20:11; Hag_2:7). Poetically, of the waters above the firmament on which the throne of God is said to be founded, crystal sea (Rev_4:6; Rev_15:2 [cf. Gen_1:7; Psa_29:10; Psa_148:4]). See 1Ki_7:23; 2Ki_25:13
(II)
Of particular seas and lakes:
(A)
By implication the Mediterranean ( Act_10:6, Act_10:32; Act_17:14; Sept.: Gen_13:14; Jon_1:4
).
(B)
The Red Sea ( Act_7:36). Used in an absolute sense (1Co_10:1-2; Sept.: Exo_13:18; Exo_14:2
).
(C)
The Sea of Galilee or Tiberias ( Mat_4:18; Mar_1:16; Joh_21:1). Used in an absolute sense (Mat_4:15; Joh_6:16-19; Sept.: Num_34:11
).
Deriv
.: dithálassos (G1337), between two seas; parathalássios (G3864
), along the sea.
Syn
.: límnē (G3041), lake; kólpos (G2859), a bay; aigialós (G123), shore; parálios (G3882
), beside the sea.
Ant
.: xērós (G3584), dry earth; gḗ (G1093
), land.

Excellent work Kevin. I see no controversy at all. Controversy only takes place when one has to be right in his thinking.

I do not have that in mind at all. I simple put it out there and anyone is free to disagree and that is the case here. Actually, when we study and allow the Word of God to intertret itself, we will usally find an answer and such is the case here with the word SEA as found in Rev. 13:1.

Allow me to call to our attention Revelation 17:15 and see if the Bible will do that for us.

Rev. 17:15
"And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues."

So then, what do we now know???

These verses show the Woman, the harlot, sitting upon many waters, or SEA and the Beast, and seven mountains (a mountain is a biblical symbol of a nation), and in verse 15 the waters of which the Beast consists are defined as peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. In such a context, sitting is the Bible's symbol of authority, having power over. It is as though she gives orders and is served.

This description gives us two characteristics: First, the scope of her influence is wide-ranging, over many nations. Second, the Beast consists of peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. The Woman, however, it is not described in that manner; she is depicted as one unit. Therefore, a distinct possibility is that God sees the Woman in this end-time prophecy as one powerful and influential people, as contrasted to the Beast, which consists of many diverse peoples who, at first, cannot combine and coordinate their strengths to counterbalance and perhaps overcome the more united Woman.

The "sea" as in the similiar case of Daniel 7:2-3, refers to the "sea" of nations that are troubled like an ocean, with roaring and crashing waves----as empires rise and fall. So too, in Rev. 17:15 the waters of the sea are explicity declared to be nations and peoples.

"God sees the Woman in this end-time prophecy as one powerful and influential people"

In Biblical symbolism a harlot represents a pagan or heretical religion, whereas a virgin represents the orthodox or true faith.
The symbolism being that a virgin (read chaste woman) is faithful to her spouse (present or future), whereas a harlot is faithful to none.

"God sees the Woman in this end-time prophecy as one powerful and influential people"

In Biblical symbolism a harlot represents a pagan or heretical religion, whereas a virgin represents the orthodox or true faith.
The symbolism being that a virgin (read chaste woman) is faithful to her spouse (present or future), whereas a harlot is faithful to none.

Yes sir, that does seem to be the case.

Back