Retired or Planning to Retire Soon?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Who is retired and do you remember when you first planned to retire?

How long did you work?

What were your plans after retirement, travel, hobbies, sitting in a rocking chair out front?

Those of you who are still working do you have an idea of when you will retire?

Retirement is not bad but I don’t believe it is Biblical. After we end our career there will always be another form of work.

Please share your experience or thoughts of your planned retirement.

Love in Christ.
Bob

I don’t think I have yet planned on a full retirement. If that day comes I think it will be God’s will and not mine.
How long did you work?
Over 50 years… so far. From mowing lawns and delivering newspapers to eventually ending up in management and then being blessed to be working at home with my beautiful wife. A gift from God.
What were your plans after retirement, travel, hobbies, sitting in a rocking chair out front?
I advise not waiting for retirement to begin enjoying life… don’t waste God’s gift of life.
Have hobbies, travel, do things for yourself and those you love now, today; we may never be this young and good looking again. 🙏
No way man. 😎
Retirement is not bad but I don’t believe it is Biblical. After we end our career there will always be another form of work.
That is my belief as well Bob and it is my practice. I certainly haven’t lost the need or desire to “do”, however, I have changed focus, as I feel directed by the Lord.

I don’t think I have yet planned on a full retirement. If that day comes I think it will be God’s will and not mine.

Over 50 years… so far. From mowing lawns and delivering newspapers to eventually ending up in management and then being blessed to be working at home with my beautiful wife. A gift from God.

I advise not waiting for retirement to begin enjoying life… don’t waste God’s gift of life.
Have hobbies, travel, do things for yourself and those you love now, today; we may never be this young and good looking again. 🙏

No way man. 😎

That is my belief as well Bob and it is my practice. I certainly haven’t lost the need or desire to “do”, however, I have changed focus, as I feel directed by the Lord.

Hey blueskies;

Great post! I agree we shouldn’t wait until retirement to enjoy life. Take the opportunity to enjoy His blessings today, prior.

The thing that took me by surprise was the realization of how much I identified with that which I did during my working career.
I was that - but where does it leave me now?
My saving grace is that I have reasonably good health and am able to keep myself busy.
I've worked among people who have commanded considerable respect and when they step out it is like stepping off the edge. Generally it seems the higher the step the harder the fall, unless there is something significant to move into.
A person would think that as a Christian that is all the stabilizer one would need, but we are still human.
Scripture says that the footsteps of the righteous are ordered and all things work together for the good. So that is the challenge not to look at circumstances but keep my eyes focused on the Word.

The thing that took me by surprise was the realization of how much I identified with that which I did during my working career.
I was that - but where does it leave me now?
My saving grace is that I have reasonably good health and am able to keep myself busy.
I've worked among people who have commanded considerable respect and when they step out it is like stepping off the edge. Generally it seems the higher the step the harder the fall, unless there is something significant to move into.
A person would think that as a Christian that is all the stabilizer one would need, but we are still human.
Scripture says that the footsteps of the righteous are ordered and all things work together for the good. So that is the challenge not to look at circumstances but keep my eyes focused on the Word.
Hello 2404;

I enjoyed your post and it made me stop and think of my 43 years work. If I could start over again, could of, should of, would of… but to be honest I have no regrets and am thankful where God led me. In my retirement I apply some of my job skills in our lives today.

I’m working in areas today that I couldn’t in the past, doing what I love doing and spending more time with my wife.

God bless you, brother.

Hello brothers and sisters;

How long did you work?

Please share your experience or thoughts of your planned retirement.

Love in Christ.
Bob
I retired once, back in 2003 and after serving in the military for 25 years, one month, and 23 days.

I stayed retired for around 6 months, but I was only 44 years old and that was not going to last. I then started working as an independent contractor, but that got old, and I started working for our local school district. Good Lord willing, I believe I am going to so around three more years, until I turn 66 and 10 months. I ill then retire again and start collecting social security (again, God willing).

My wife is close to 10 years younger, so she has to work a bit longer. Once I do retire, we are moving to the Memphis TN area (Shelby County), because that is where her family is (she grew up here) and the majority of our kids/grandkids are either in St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, and Denver.

So, what to so. Well, I have lived all around the world, so my travel bug has been fed. Will spend much more time visiting the grandkids. I am also a Private Investigator, so I would not mind picking up some work that involves financial crimes. If not that, I would not mind teaching a bit or maybe working at a gun range. I will miss my church a great deal, but I will find another one and also volunteer there. I do plan on got getting out of bed until at least 7am.

Ray

Hello 2404;

I enjoyed your post and it made me stop and think of my 43 years work. If I could start over again, could of, should of, would of… but to be honest I have no regrets and am thankful where God led me. In my retirement I apply some of my job skills in our lives today.

I’m working in areas today that I couldn’t in the past, doing what I love doing and spending more time with my wife.

God bless you, brother.
I do would not change much about my work commitment. In fact, if I could change one thing it would be that I would not have retired after 25 years and would have stayed another 10 years. It took me way too long to top missing what I did and enjoy doing what I do.

Rtm

I retired once, back in 2003 and after serving in the military for 25 years, one month, and 23 days.

I stayed retired for around 6 months, but I was only 44 years old and that was not going to last. I then started working as an independent contractor, but that got old, and I started working for our local school district. Good Lord willing, I believe I am going to so around three more years, until I turn 66 and 10 months. I ill then retire again and start collecting social security (again, God willing).

My wife is close to 10 years younger, so she has to work a bit longer. Once I do retire, we are moving to the Memphis TN area (Shelby County), because that is where her family is (she grew up here) and the majority of our kids/grandkids are either in St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, and Denver.

So, what to so. Well, I have lived all around the world, so my travel bug has been fed. Will spend much more time visiting the grandkids. I am also a Private Investigator, so I would not mind picking up some work that involves financial crimes. If not that, I would not mind teaching a bit or maybe working at a gun range. I will miss my church a great deal, but I will find another one and also volunteer there. I do plan on got getting out of bed until at least 7am.

Ray
I do would not change much about my work commitment. In fact, if I could change one thing it would be that I would not have retired after 25 years and would have stayed another 10 years. It took me way too long to top missing what I did and enjoy doing what I do.

Rtm

Hey Ray,

I have friends and family who retired and decided to go back to work - shuttle driver, seasonal tax preparer, store clerk, Amazon warehouse where the job keeps them busy.

For me I still serve in ministry and get a stipend for officiating weddings, funerals or preaching. I never approach this as a job. Except for God, the wedding couple or funeral director I usually manage my services.

As blueskies shared, I now have much more time to be with my wife.

We want to visit Memphis one day in our travels. I heard it’s Beautiful country.

Hey Ray,

I have friends and family who retired and decided to go back to work - shuttle driver, seasonal tax preparer, store clerk, Amazon warehouse where the job keeps them busy.

For me I still serve in ministry and get a stipend for officiating weddings, funerals or preaching. I never approach this as a job. Except for God, the wedding couple or funeral director I usually manage my services.

As blueskies shared, I now have much more time to be with my wife.

We want to visit Memphis one day in our travels. I heard it’s Beautiful country.
Hey Bob, I am pretty sure that Memphis is not an actual country, but I get what you mean :)

It's ok, but I do not find it all that attractive. They have a thing for brown. The street pavement is light brown, as are the sidewalks. During part of the year, the grass and much of the vegetation is also brown. Add to that that most homes have brick, that's more brown.

I was born and grew up in tropical areas, so I am used to color.

It's the wife's idea and you know what they say: Happy wife, happy life.

Rtm

Hey Bob, I am pretty sure that Memphis is not an actual country, but I get what you mean :)

It's ok, but I do not find it all that attractive. They have a thing for brown. The street pavement is light brown, as are the sidewalks. During part of the year, the grass and much of the vegetation is also brown. Add to that that most homes have brick, that's more brown.

I was born and grew up in tropical areas, so I am used to color.

It's the wife's idea and you know what they say: Happy wife, happy life.

Rtm
Hello Ray;

We drove through Memphis twice as a teen and I remember it was beautiful along the Mississippi River. But we’ll have to visit again during retirement and see it for ourselves.

We have family in Odessa, Florida and they both are in their late twenties. My niece and nephew raise two kids and the other are newly married. They like the school system and feel safe. Most likely they would like to retire there.

My wife is happy in Daly City and it looks we’ll stay here for now because of the cool weather. We’re 4 minutes from the beach.

Hello Ray;

We drove through Memphis twice as a teen and I remember it was beautiful along the Mississippi River. But we’ll have to visit again during retirement and see it for ourselves.

We have family in Odessa, Florida and they both are in their late twenties. My niece and nephew raise two kids and the other are newly married. They like the school system and feel safe. Most likely they would like to retire there.

My wife is happy in Daly City and it looks we’ll stay here for now because of the cool weather. We’re 4 minutes from the beach.
When I was a kid, I really liked the beach. I grew up on Miami Beach, so we were about three blocks from the beach. As Miami Beach (aka: South Beach" became a very popular tourist point, we just don't go there.

I mean, how can anyone enjoy this???

s beach.JPG

Back