REPENTANCE DEFINED IN TWO WORDS:

Isn't that what Paul is saying in Romans 7:15-21>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Yes, it is. Grace.

Quantrill

Oh David. That is WHY JESUS went to the cross. Because we/humans/ALL humans including you brother cannot stop sinning. Look at the last few posts' you posted, to me they look very angry. Your yelling hehehe
Lets start her sir. Eccl 7:20 says "for there is not a just man on earth who does good. And does not sin". Now lets go to Romans 3-10. " As it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one" Now quickly over to Romans 3-23 " for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD" That says it all in a nut shell brother. Period.

God Bless you Dave

Chili out

Oh David. That is WHY JESUS went to the cross. Because we/humans/ALL humans including you brother cannot stop sinning. Look at the last few posts' you posted, to me they look very angry. Your yelling hehehe
Lets start her sir. Eccl 7:20 says "for there is not a just man on earth who does good. And does not sin". Now lets go to Romans 3-10. " As it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one" Now quickly over to Romans 3-23 " for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD" That says it all in a nut shell brother. Period.

God Bless you Dave

Chili out

By the way Chili..............has Mr. Ward been put into "time out" or can you say?

I just wanted to share some things I've found while studying and see where the conversation leads us.

1 Corinthians 15:34 "Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame."

Upon reading the previous verse, I would take it to mean the following: We need a proper KNOWLEDGE of the Word of God in order to awake to a right standing with God and quit the sin business.

Then I ask myself, "HOW do I get this KNOWLEDGE; or HOW do I BEGIN in this KNOWLEDGE of God?"

Proverbs 1:7 "The FEAR of the Lord is the BEGINNING OF KNOWLEDGE: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

So, the FEAR of the Lord is the BEGINNING of knowledge! Hmmmmm!

Then I ask myself, "What does it mean to FEAR the Lord?" I've found this FEAR is NOT the fear of some vengeful Being standing over us with a sledge hammer, just waiting to punish us for the least infraction against His commands. This FEAR has more to do with REVERENCE, RESPECT and HONOR.

Then I ask myself, "HOW do I FEAR the Lord?"

Proverbs 8:13 "The FEAR of the Lord is to HATE EVIL: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate."

So, as I understand it:

1) We CAN AWAKE to righteousness and QUIT the sin business IF we have a proper KNOWLEDGE of God and His Word (1 Cor. 15:34).
2) We BEGIN in a proper KNOWLEDGE of God and His Word by FEARING the Lord and His Word(Prov. 1:7).
3) The only way we can FEAR (revere; respect; honor) the Lord and His Word is by HATING EVIL (Prov. 8:13).

Here's another question:

HOW do we PROVE or DEMONSTRATE to the Lord and others that we HATE EVIL?

Proverbs 3:7 "BE NOT wise in thine own eyes: FEAR the Lord, and DEPART FROM EVIL."

In fact, the New Testament tells us, "Bring forth therefore fruits MEET FOR REPENTANCE" (Matt. 3:8).

We are told to bring forth fruits MEET (TO PROVE) our REPENTANCE! "By their fruits ye shall KNOW them." Proof is required to discourage mere profession of faith and outward show.

We PROVE we FEAR the Lord by HATING EVIL.

We prove we HATE EVIL BY DEPARTING FROM EVIL!

Now to my original topic, "REPENTANCE DEFINED IN TWO WORDS:"

What does it mean to REPENT?

The Greek, metanoia, [translated "repent" in Matt. 3:8; etc...] is a real change of mind and attitude; a change of mind and love.

IF someone has CHANGED their mind and love for sin, they NO LONGER love sin; THEY HATE SIN!

REPENTANCE DEFINED IN TWO WORDS is to simply HATE SIN or HATE EVIL!

In conclusion:

1. We awake to righteousness and quit the sin business by a proper knowledge of the WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE.
2. We begin in a proper knowledge of the WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE by FEARING God and His Word.
3. We FEAR God and His Word by HATING EVIL (REPENTING).
4. We demonstrate or prove we HATE EVIL (have repented) by DEPARTING FROM EVIL.

We bring forth fruits MEET FOR REPENTANCE or TO PROVE WE HAVE REPENTED - HATE EVIL (Matt. 3:8).

HOW do we PROVE we HATE EVIL?

BY DEPARTING FROM EVIL!

GO! SIN NO MORE, LEST A WORSE THING HAPPEN UNTO THEE!

IF we continually keep asking God to forgive us for the same sin over and over again, we might need to ask ourselves if we actually HATE THAT SIN?

IF we continually commit the same sin (habitual sin) and do not depart from it [all the while claiming to be a christian] we are being "wise in our own eyes." We need to truly "FEAR THE LORD AND DEPART FROM EVIL!" (Proverbs 3:7)

Becoming a child of God is the most important commitment one can make in life...EVER! I believe there are many who don't know how important it really is. I believe there are many who don't really understand what it means to REPENT.

When Jesus began His ministry, He would say, "REPENT (HATE EVIL): for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matt. 4:17).

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying, REPENT ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matt. 3:1-2).

"And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that REPENTANCE and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things" (Luke 24:46-48).

Jesus knew, IF the people did not REPENT (HATE EVIL), they could not FEAR the Lord;

IF they could not FEAR the Lord, they could not BEGIN in His KNOWLEDGE of the WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE eternal.

IF they could not BEGIN in His KNOWLEDGE of the WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE eternal, they could not AWAKEN to HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and QUIT THE SIN BUSINESS.

IF they could not AWAKEN to HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and QUIT THE SIN BUSINESS, they could not inherit His kingdom.

Jesus was the WORD who came in the flesh to give us KNOWLEDGE of HIS WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE eternal. HE ALONE IS THE WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. NO ONE comes to the Father but by Jesus!

A WORKING KNOWLEDGE of the WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE eternal AWAKENS US to righteousness and ENABLES US to QUIT THE SIN BUSINESS!

IF WE WANT TO QUIT HABITUAL SIN, we need to make up our mind and settle it in our heart to HATE THAT SIN that separates us from God!

Many seek to enter in, but few who will ever find it!

Few will ever make up their mind to HATE EVIL!

We have to resolve to STOP gratifying ourselves at the expense of the best good of others. Our very soul depends on it!

We must BEGIN gratifying the best good of others at the expense of self.

That is what it means to DENY SELF.

SELF GRATIFICATION IS THE ROOT OF ALL SIN!

PEOPLE SIN TO GRATIFY THEMSELVES! Let's crucify SELF with its affections and lust!

"For though we walk in the flesh, WE DO NOT WAR AFTER THE FLESH: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the PULLING DOWN of strong holds;) CASTING DOWN imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the KNOWLEDGE of God, and BRINGING INTO CAPTIVITY EVERY THOUGHT TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, WHEN YOUR OBEDIENCE IS FULFILLED" (2 Cor. 10:3-6).

Some say, "Everyone sins everyday in thought, word or deed." The Word's WAY of TRUTH that gives LIFE does not teach us this. His WAY will present us faultless and without spot or blemish before His presence with exceeding joy IF WE HOLD ON TO IT TO THE END! We have been given power to become the sons of the Living God if we have repented! Lets take hold of the power given to us and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

We have NOT sinned if a thought comes into our mind to tempt us! We haven't! If we have delight in the thought and entertain the thought, THEN has lust conceived and sin has been committed (James 1:13-16).

Regards,

David Ward Jr

Can we not relate REPENTANCE with PRIDE for that was how Lucifer fell into sin?
JESUS CHRIST showed the "way" with HUMILITY, that we hear HIM say the following. I can only conclude that He means HUMILITY (spiritual not just emotional):

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Therefore REPENTANCE, the result of HUMILITY, goes with it "divine knowledge and wisdom" the means for a person to know the "will of God."

Since Old Testament time:

Isaiah 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

From then on:

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Back