Relaxation and Intoxication

Many people use some kind of drug for relaxation whether it's alcohol, marijuana, kava, valium types etc.

At what point does this become unacceptable for a Christian ?

When we can't drive past a bar without stopping. When it causes us to take part in debauchery and revelry. When it damages our bodies.

Many people use some kind of drug for relaxation whether it's alcohol, marijuana, kava, valium types etc.

I think it becomes unacceptable as soon as we put it before God. "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts." In my humble opinion no drug can compare to the love of Christ. No drug can bring relaxation, peace, or joy like Christ can.

This is the golden rule for me..

1 Corinthians 1:23 - You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.

This is the golden rule for me..

1 Corinthians 1:23 - You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.

We should be careful how we apply this scripture esp. the NIV rendering.

1Co 10:23 KJV All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

I have never in my life touched recreational drugs of any kind, mostly because they're bad for you and because I'm not really interested in altering my consciousness. Even marijuana, which I understand is quite commonplace - I've never gone near it.

Alcoholic drinks I enjoy very moderately but always for the taste and enjoyment of drinking them and never to "relax" or to get drunk. I like beer, martinis and caesars (vodka and Clamato) very much. My mother suffered from alcoholism so I was careful from a very early age never to develop a dependence on it.

Back