1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Relational plateau?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Klub, Jan 19, 2015.

1. So I have been dating this girl for almost a year and a half now. I am 19, graduated this past school year, and she is just finishing up her last semester of high school. At this point of our relationship, we have been through alot together, for our age atleast, life has thrown some curveballs that my peers have not experienced. Most of this is caused because her home life is not a christian based home, and there is a darkness in her home that is hard to explain.

Anyways, between me and her, we have grown in the faith exponentially. I am closer, and more grounded in God than I ever have been in my life, and so is she. Not to say that we haven't messed up as a couple. We have sinned, and have had pre marital sex in our relationship. Since then, we have repented, and have set parameters to avoid situations that could lead to that.
    She's my best friend, I can talk to her about anything, and we just get each other, even if I stumble in my relationship with God, she can "slap me in the face" and let me know that I'm wrong, which is what I need sometimes. We both have an interest in missions, and share the same passion to spread God's word.

For me though, I feel as though I'm at a flat spot on the climb. We both have our hearts guarded as proverbs 4:23 states. But with that, it becomes harder and harder to guard our hearts, because we both are so close, but on the other hand, we are both really young. I have gone to my dad about advice on where to go from here, but he doesn't whole heatedly approve of a relationship at this age because of his past.

Marriage isn't out of the question for me, and I'm getting the feeling that it is imminent (in a good way) But is it wise to be married at such a young age? My father married his first wife at the same age as us, with almost the same circumstances. The only thing missing was God though, and that is ultimately why the marriage failed. And even though my girlfriend and I have God, I'm still worried about where we would go, this is my first serious relationship, and I'm almost scared of where it is going.

Overall, I feel like I am just scared of what move to make, I have prayed much about it, and with this, I am pursuing sound advice as well. Any and All help is welcome!
  2. So, marriage is a contract, just as binding as a merger of two companies. In the West we cheapen it and as such ignore the finality of the contract (death) and move into the physicality of it, sex, consummation of the vows. You might think you're compatible, and I'm sure you are, but you are two individuals that become (or in your case already have) one flesh. If you commit to work it all out, and you WILL have a doozy of a fight in the future, surrender y'all's pride, turn to God, it will work out. Marriage isn't trying it out to see how the "shoes" fit, it's a commitment, something the West no longer holds as important in society - it's why we have so many lawyers. Resign any notion of divorce no matter, and surrender to God and it'll all work out. God Bless.
    Klub likes this.
  3. Go where the Lord guides you. Marriage should not be taken lightly; you should enter into it with your eyes open.
    If you do sin and go against God's word; such as sex before marriage, you should repent as you both have.
    If there is darkness, pray and pray and pray; eventually God will provide the right answer and guide you.
  4. I would wait and not get married for several reasons:
    1. you are very young
    2. if it is the right thing, and the 2 of you are still following God, and He wants you married, you would marry at a later date when the two of you are more mature and wiser.
    3. you are unsure. I think the uncertainty you are feeling is an indication that you are not ready, you have more growing to do as a Christian, not mature enough emotionally....your feelings indicate a whole host of things.