Rejoice!

My Refuge and My Fortress

Psalm 91 ESV

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
the Most High, who is my refuge
no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.

For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”

Psalm 91 ESV

I who dwells in the shelter of the Most High

For he will deliver me from the snare of the Fowler
He will cover me with his pinions,
and under his wings I will find refuge;
I will not fear the terror of the night,

A thousand may fall at my side,
ten thousand at my right hand,
but it will not come near me.
I will only look with my eyes

Because I have made the Lord my dwelling place—
no evil shall be allowed to befall me,
no plague come near my tent.

For he will command his angels concerning me
to guard me in all my ways.
On their hands they will bear me up,
lest I strike my foot against a stone.
I will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent I will trample underfoot.

Thank you LINK. I absolutely love this Psalm. This, The 23rd and the 121 are the ones I always turn to in those times when fear or worry or whatever ungodly emotion tries to get the best of me! They are particularly good in those "midnight hours" we all experience from time to time. But all of you sainted people wouldn't know what I was talking about would you?:D:rolleyes:;) BTW, just as I did above for reference, I found that especially in those "midnight hours" it is even more helpful if I make the Psalm sound like He is actually talking to me directly... Just a suggestion.

Laura:D

Psalm 91 ESV

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High

For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
You will not fear the terror of the night,

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes

Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

Wow that's got to be one of my favourite too .

I read a story once about an old lady who stopped at a stop light and a robber jumped into her car and put a gun to her side . She had just finished reading this psalm in the morning but in her fright all she could say feathers , Feathers , feathers and you know what the guy said" lady you are crazy ' and jumped out of her car.

[SIZE=+0]Today's Verse[/SIZE]
It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23
"[3:21-36] Having stated his distress and temptation, the prophet shows how he was raised above it. Bad as things are, it is owing to the mercy of God that they are not worse. We should observe what makes for us, as well as what is against us. God's compassions fail not; of this we have fresh instances every morning. Portions on earth are perishing things, but God is a portion for ever. It is our duty, and will be our comfort and satisfaction, to hope and quietly to wait for the salvation of the Lord. Afflictions do and will work very much for good: many have found it good to bear this yoke in their youth; it has made many humble and serious, and has weaned them from the world, who otherwise would have been proud and unruly. If tribulation work patience, that patience will work experience, and that experience a hope that makes not ashamed. Due thoughts of the evil of sin, and of our own sinfulness, will convince us that it is of the Lord's mercies we are not consumed. If we cannot say with unwavering voice, The Lord is my portion; may we not say, I desire to have Him for my portion and salvation, and in his word do I hope? Happy shall we be, if we learn to receive affliction as laid upon us by the hand of God." Matthew Henry

Charles Spurgeon - Accepted in the Beloved

From today's morning devotional by Charles Spurgeon:
"Accepted in the beloved" - Ephesians 1:6
What a state of privilege! It includes our justification before God, but the term “acceptance” in the Greek means more than that. It signifies that we are the objects of divine complacence, nay, even of divine delight. How marvellous that we, worms, mortals, sinners, should be the objects of divine love! But it is only “in the beloved.” Some Christians seem to be accepted in their own experience, at least, that is their apprehension. When their spirit is lively, and their hopes bright, they think God accepts them, for they feel so high, so heavenly-minded, so drawn above the earth! But when their souls cleave to the dust, they are the victims of the fear that they are no longer accepted. If they could but see that all their high joys do not exalt them, and all their low despondencies do not really depress them in their Father’s sight, but that they stand accepted in One who never alters, in One who is always the beloved of God, always perfect, always without spot or wrinkle, or any such thing, how much happier they would be, and how much more they would honour the Saviour! Rejoice then, believer, in this: thou art accepted “in the beloved.” Thou lookest within, and thou sayest, “There is nothing acceptable here!” But look at Christ, and see if there is not everything acceptable there. Thy sins trouble thee; but God has cast thy sins behind his back, and thou art accepted in the Righteous One. Thou hast to fight with corruption, and to wrestle with temptation, but thou art already accepted in him who has overcome the powers of evil. The devil tempts thee; be of good cheer, he cannot destroy thee, for thou art accepted in him who has broken Satan’s head. Know by full assurance thy glorious standing. Even glorified souls are not more accepted than thou art. They are only accepted in heaven “in the beloved,” and thou art even now accepted in Christ after the same manner.

Charles H. Spurgeon, Morning and Evening : Daily Readings, Complete and unabridged; New modern edition., September 23 AM (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2006

Quote of Thomas Watson

"If God is our God, then though we may feel the stroke of evil—yet not the sting. He must needs be happy who is in such a condition, that nothing can hurt him. If he lose his name, it is written in the book of life; if he lose his liberty, his conscience is free; if he lose his estate, he is possessed of the pearl of price; if he meets with storms, he knows where to put in for harbor; God is his God, and heaven is his heaven."

http://www.gracegems.org/Watson/ten_commandments2.htm

Back