1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Recovering Ex-mormon Seeking Christ

Discussion in 'Requests for Assistance' started by DonQuijote, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Just last month I accidentally came across undeniable evidence that Joseph Smith copied the Book of Mormon from the New Testament and other books that he had in his possession. I was converted to the church about 20 years ago, served a mission & married in the temple. To make matters worse, about 4 years ago I became bored with regular Mormonism and decided I needed to go back to its roots and became a Mormon Fundamentalist, although I still attended regular Mormon services without joining any splinter group. I studied a lot and came to believe even more fully in Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I even believed that I had to become a polygamist in order to be saved, which nearly happened but thankfully didn't. I became best friends with one of the main Independent Mormon Fundamentalists, and helped make Youtube videos to teach Mormon's the "truth" about Mormonism.

About 2 or 3 months ago I was starting to realize that something wasn't quite right but I couldn't put my finger on it. My wife felt this too but also couldn't explain it, we just started having doubts. I started to ask every night in prayer that God teach me more truth and correct me where I was wrong, no matter how hard I would take it. Little did I realize how quickly He would take me up on that offer. I came across a passage in 3 Ne. 20:23-26 where Jesus while in the Americas was supposed to have been quoting Moses, but instead He accidentally quoted Peter in Acts 3:22-26, over 30 years before Peter even made the statement! This was the moment when I immediately began to dig deeper and I found a mountain of evidence to support the fact that the Book of Mormon was plagiarized. This hit me really hard, and stripped me of the foundation of all my beliefs. I shared it with my wife and luckily she saw the truth too, but she isn't devastated like I am. She feels more relieved & liberated.

Because of this experience I have lost my ability to trust religion in general & I question everything. Most ex-mormons I have met either online or in person have become atheists. That scares me to death. I need purpose in my life and I need God in my life, but I don't want to believe in something that isn't real. I have bought myself a new NIV Study Bible with really cool footnotes that I like a lot, especially when it backs stuff up with historical & archaeological evidence. I have also watched a documentary called The Case for Christ that has helped give me hope that Jesus was who he said he was. But I still haven't found that peace and forgiveness that I'm searching for. I helped convert a lot of people to Mormonism and even Mormon Fundamentalism. I can't imagine how much damage I've done to lead people away from Christ, and led them to Joseph Smith and a fake Christ instead. My hope is that He will forgive me & that He will let me know that He is there. I don't just want to hope or have blind faith, but I want to actually know. I am still studying a lot and still praying. I feel like I'm in a very vulnerable place right now where I could go either way, but I want to be on the side of truth, no matter what that is.

This is a lot to lay out on the table and I know this may take years to cure if ever, but any support or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I don't expect anyone to understand where I'm coming from, but at least I hope that I can find that peace & joy one day that many Christians seem to have.
  2. Hey guess what...JESUS still loves YOU! No worries, accept Jesus as your savior....no man can do what He did...

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. ...Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,

Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

Maybe your calling will be to evangelize other Mormons...
  3. Thank you those are great scriptures. I will take them to heart.
  4. I have a question and I am not trying to be funny, disrespectful or sarcastic. So if it comes of that way please accept my apology.

It is my understanding that Mormonism teachers Christ as a transfigured man-and that Christ is the ultimate goal for what we are to become. #1 Is that true? #2 Is that where you seem to struggle?

Again, I am asking to try and see where your heart is; not to demoralize. I understand if you do not wish to reply.
  5. Oh no problem, you can ask anything. I'm trying to detach myself from Mormonism completely so I can find out the real truth of each the gospel principle bit by bit. Yes they do teach that Christ and His Father were once regular men like ourselves, but that they progressed in each life to arrive where they are. "As man is God once was & as God is man may become." I believed that if I followed all the commandments that Jesus revealed through Joseph Smith, that I could be personally taught by Christ in my home, and then one day in another life play his role as a Christ on another Earth. I think I'm okay now not believing that, the part I don't understand yet is the Christian belief of accepting Jesus and being saved. Once I believe I am saved, what do I do afterwards, and does it matter if I do good or bad things? The Scriptures say we will be judged according to our works, so what I am seeing so far is that I should first trust that Jesus will save me from my past sins and future sins too IF I try my best and be quick to repent. Do a lot of Christians believe it that way? I attended a Bible church last Sunday and a guy there told me that all I had to do was accept Jesus and nothing else mattered, like a free ticket to heaven. But to me I think he's only got it half right. We should strive to follow His teachings and example. I admit though I have a lot to learn about what grace is and how it applies to me. I've never heard it taught in Mormonism.
  6. Tread lightly on the 'do your best' issue. If we do "good works" that does not get us in heaven nor do 'works' qualify people as a Christian. You become a Christian by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior knowing there is no other way to heaven.

Q: #1 What are we being saved from? A: An eternity separated from God by sin in a living Hell.

Q#2 Why do we need a Jesus Christ as our Savior? Only His redeeming blood covers our sin debt because He is the ultimate Holy sacrifice. We cannot pay our own sin debt-because we are born into a sinful world; it is impossible to pay a holy debt with sinful hands. Our works, tithe, giving, Church attendance, prayer, education, etc... are not acceptable to God for payment. He is a HOLY God.

Only by the the Grace of God are we saved through the blood of His innocent Son: Jesus Christ. To be 'saved' all that you need to do is merely accept the gift that Christ is giving you through His death on the cross. Christ died so that you may live eternally, simply by accepting what He did-He paid your debt so you don't have too.

If you believe on Him that saved your soul, He will draw closer to you. You will be eager to learn more about Him and the Bible will be unlocked to you once you accept Him.

If you understand that you are a sinner compared to a Holy God and need a Savior -just ask and He will provide. The "WORK" is already done on the cross. God wants your heart, He wants your faith, He wants to LOVE you, He wants to Bless you. But you have to do it His way-not yours.

Tell the Lord your sorry and ask for forgiveness, ask Him to take your place on the Cross and accept Jesus' sacrifice so that you too may enter into the Glory of the Lord-it really is that simple-just ask Him.

Many religions try to box God and Christ into a human package-we cannot understand all the things of God-it is impossible for our brains, but yet many still try and new religions are born out of trying to overcompensate our knowledge and understanding of the Lord. We are living in a time of Faith, until the Lord returns or our bodies die.

If you accept Christ as your Savior-He does have expectations of you-but until you accept Him, there is no point in further conversation about obedience to God.
  7. Thank you that helps a lot. I am starting to see how it works I think. He already has my heart and my faith, I think I just need to find a quiet time to talk with him and ask forgiveness. I hope that along the way he will bless me with more understanding. The obedience to God afterwards is what the guy at church left out when he tried to explain it to me. Again I really appreciate your response. This gives me a little more clarity in the path I want to take.
  8. Praying for you...

(A Christian will praise God when a soul gets saved...)
  9. DonQuijote,

I know enough of what you are going through, I have been through much of the same thing. However I was not a fundamentalist mormon and I never got very far with my mormon preisthood. The one thing that helped me leave the church was when the holy spirit revealed to me that only God could love me the right way. Once I understood that God loved me more than the mormon church ever could I never went back. Two things can help you right now, 1 The holy spirit is not a burning in the bosom it is a peace and knowledge of God. 2 The mormon spirit distorts alot of what you think you know about Jesus, that means what you read in the bible. So you need to relearn much of Gods word again.

It will be hard to deprogram if you had a close realationship with the mormon spirit. It will not let you go easy, your going to have to arm yourself with correct doctrine if you want to fight of the mormon spiritual attacks. Your base of freedom will be what you know about God not what you feel.

As the scripture says: Hosea 4:6
    My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

I will leave you with that for now and if you want to talk more about the church or the doctrine, please post.
  10. Thank you very much chrisstavrous. It's good to hear from others who have made a similar transition. I am in major deprogramming mode right now. I'm really enjoying rereading the Bible from a new perspective without having to fit the teachings into the box of Mormon thinking. Every night I'm excited to have some alone time to read it.

You are right about the "mormon spirit." It's an actual spirit or group of spirits that make you feel good when you think you are serving the Lord, but mostly you're only forwarding the purposes of the church. While we were deep into the Fundamentalist stuff we also starting having strange and frightening things happen around the house to my wife & I, and also some of our friends who visited. We assumed that meant we were on the right track at first because the devil was trying to keep us from going further. But it kept getting worse so that's when we started to wonder if it was our fault, which it was. It's ironic that because of these physical demonic experiences that I know without a doubt that there is a devil, and therefore there has to be a God. That's why I can't go down the atheist road like most ex-Mormons have. God's really there, I just need to get to know the real Him.

I have been praying lately & I have left all my sins, fears & worries in the hands of Christ. I didn't have a burning in my bosom or rush of emotions like I'm used to, but instead I do feel a peace and a relief that everything is going to be okay. I'm sure it's still going to be a really hard journey relearning things and being shunned by family and friends, but as long as I have Jesus on my side I'm going to be just fine in the end.
  11. Yes the mormon spirit is a spirit that is contrary to Gods spirit and not only is the spirit you have now a enemy to mormonism, it is also a enemy to any one that has a false spirit. Rememeber this scripture when you deal with mormons and people of other faith.

Romans 10:2 KJV
    For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
  12. Hi Don! I certainly know where you are coming from my friend and dear brother! I am an ex Jehovah's Witness. As you know, they took they entire bible and rewrote it for themselves. They don't believe Jesus is the son of God, in the trinity, in a "soul", the list goes on.

After leaving Christianity entirely for a few years, I became saved again (through a near death experience), yet I didn't start going to church actively at that point. Years after this incident, I had a wonderful assistant manager who started to preach to me about God. She saw something in me since she didn't reach out to many, and would talk to me countless times at work about God and Gods grace. I saw something in her eyes, in the way she carried herself, and her grace. I went to church with her and became saved, but I still had questions. It was as if I was learning all over again.

At first, I thought "this can't be true." "Jesus isn't God" (I still struggle with this sometimes), "There is no trinity or soul." etc. As you know, we (me as a JW and you as an ex Mormon) were forced to go to church mutple times a week, plagued with "religious truths" being put down our throat day after day, week after week, year after year. We were, essentially, brainwashed. That is the only way they can keep people because they know that if they don't incessantly feed you with this information, you will have a minute to realize it's not true!

Now onto what you are going through, guilt and I pressume, many questions. Just know, that this is realtively common; even for a new Christian, but that God loves you and is SO HAPPY you saught Him and are continuing to seek Him! He has saved you, my friend. Be confident in this fact.

Feel free to PM me if you would like for me to share anymore information with you about my experience. I was a JW for 8 years. Much love and blessings to you and your family.
    AllieWi likes this.
  13. I hope to help you some, so I will add my two cents worth.

I met my first Mormon (ex. Mormon though) as my boss on a industrial construction project back in 1981-82 in Evanston, Wy. I can not really remember his name for the years have eroded it from memory. I think it may have been Langford or something (last name). He was a very nice person filled with charisma and joy. I admired this guy early on, yet barely had time to know him and he being my boss at that. After our construction crew of about 10 had been working for him for a few weeks, he opened up to us about his faith (past and present). He said that he was way up the ladder in the Mormon faith, as a priest in Salt Lake City, Utah. There was only one person over him in the church. He said that miracles occurred with him in which people were being healed. There was only one Mormon over him. This Mormon took him aside one day to let him read an old book of the origins and history of Mormonism which was only shared to those at the top of Mormonism. He read it and then went to this superior and asked him if it were all true. The response was yes. (I will just call this ex-Mormon by my rusty memory's name: Langford). Then Langford folded up a robe that he was wearing and gave it to his superior with the old book and walked away from the church. Langford told us some of what he had read in the book. He said that Joseph Smith had eyed married members of his congregation and then had them as his own wives. This was all it took for Langford to call the whole of Mormonism false. Langford seemed to be a very unique Christian, being set free to love God and follow Christ. He was full of life; honest, giving, loving and understanding. As a pilot, he wanted to fly a group of us Christians out of Salt Lake City, Utah to Seattle, Washington for dinner sometime soon, however, the project came to a closed and we all got laid-off parting our ways. He seemed to have gone about as high up as could be possible for someone in the Mormon Church and then deciding to follow God through Christ over the missteps of his corrupted faith / religion. I will meet him again one day, but it most likely will be in the end, in Heaven with Christ. That will be a good reunion.

You may be seeking what you were seeking in Mormonism. You may be seeking not a simple denominational faith, but a core faith in Christ (his teachings and commands) and the helper that he has sent to you, The Holy S pirit, that is sufficient to guide you to the Father. You called your last search in Mormonism as seeking fundamentalism. The most fundamentalism that one can find with Jesus is the uniqueness of relying on him through your personal faith in his teachings and commands through his sent Holy Spirit. Complete package. The first Churches quickly attached themselves to the traditions laid out to them by the spiritual fathers of the Churches. Apostle Paul started many Churches and made a statement that he didn't want to go behind another Apostle or Disciple of Christ to start-up or build a Church. The traditions that he laid down, he treated with upmost respect as to be honored as close as the Word of God is. Other Apostles established Churches in which may have varied some in their own traditions (do not eat meat, ect.). Paul wanted to respect these other Churches while around them, yet he did not believe in these other types of traditions. Paul knew that the core of Jesus' teachings and commands (the Gospel) was in all Christians' heart who followed Jesus, who were truly His, and so he respected these differences. That didn't stop his stewardship though. He had a responsibility as father of his churches to keep them in line (following his traditions) and be moral, even to try to be holy, without sin, if possible. I love the writings of Apostle Paul, as well as the other writers in the New Testament. All I am saying about Paul traditions is that they had the core of the Gospel with things that he felt very important. How can we be Paul's Church without two important and needed things to be so (his present stewardship and knowing all about his traditions)? We uniquely can seek the core of the Gospel without traditions with the help of God's sent Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit and the pureness of the core (listening to Jesus and obeying his teachings and commands) are a complete package and will guide you towards the Father. We need fellowship with one another being the Church of believers, yet this is so as being through the core Faith of the Gospel. We try as Paul did to not step on the toes of those with different traditions. We encourage and lift up one another. We edify, yet not criticize. We love each other, preferring others over ourselves. In a way, I have found the modern Churches to have grown a little wiser over the early ones. The modern Churches can study and review the New Testament and see further than the first ones. However, a lot of modern Churches are full of leaders and members who aren't really following the core faith or seeking the will of God through Jesus. To complicate things worst, their traditions seem to trump the core faith of the Gospel (teachings and commands of Jesus Christ). Our leader is Jesus Christ himself. We have a personal relationship with our Father through him and the Holy Spirit. We are complete, yet we need each other and the fellowship through this core Faith. Have a most wonderful Day. Good to have you on board.
    AllieWi and Lifeasweknowit say Amen and like this.
  14. Mark 13:22 KJV
    For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.
    AllieWi likes this.
  15. Hi DonQuiote. I've been reading your posts on this thread, and I feel like we have a lot in common. I know how difficult it can be to lose the core beliefs that you have depended on for years. I congratulate you for having the courage to stand up for what's right, despite overwhelming resistance; not many people have such resolve.

I also watched The Case for Christ and was amazed. The Case for Christ book had even more amazing things that weren't mentioned in the DVD, and those truths have given me the strength to believe in Jesus. I consider myself to be a logical (perhaps even scientific) man, and when 'truth' is presented, I am always wary of deception, which makes it difficult for me to have faith sometimes.

While reading the part where you said that you hadn't felt forgiveness or peace for sucessfully converting some people to Mormonism, I felt like your story strongly parallelled the story of Paul. As you probably know, Paul (originally named Saul) persecuted the early church and murdered many Christians because he believed that their teachings were heresy. It was only after God intervened in Saul's life that he began to turn his life around, and eventually became one of the strongest advocates for Jesus. I hope this thought gives you some measure of peace and comfort.

I'm very interested in your story. Feel free to start a conversation with me if you feel like talking about it. =)
  16. I've done worse things that you and I'm saved. Do not worry. Believe in your heart that He can save you from your past and it will be done.
    AllieWi likes this.