Question on faith

Major, could you help explain what those scriptures mean to you in the context of my questions? I have read the scriptures, but I guess I'm just looking for advice. Again - how do you know that your prayer will be answered? And if the answer is that you don't know (can you tell me in all honesty that every single one of your prayers has been answered?), then how do you justify your faith in saying that because you prayed for something (for example, for someone's healing) it will happen?

To put it simply - I have complete faith that if I drop something from my hand it will fall to the ground, because of the law of gravity. How can I have complete faith that if I pray something that it will come to be, when not all prayers are answered?

I am not trying to cast doubt, I am simply looking for some answers for myself. I'm trying to learn more about faith, and am interested in what others have to say, versus just seeing scripture.

Certainly can do that my brother.

1st of all there is absolutely no one who can say in all honesty that every one of their prayers have been answered. That is why I have said over and over again that God sometimes says NO to prayer requests.

That does not mean however that we should not ask God what is on our heart.

The problem you are asking me to answer is one that you are going to have to ask those on here that are entrenced in the thinking that God will always heal us of our sicknesses. The truth is that we all have pain, we all have aches, we all have had death in our lives. God even allows suffering and pain for His own reasons according to the Scriptures.

I believe that if you study the Scriptures on Prayer you will find it comes in one of Four ways..........
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Wait.
4. My grace is sufficient.

The key is in 1 John 5:14-15..........
" And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him."

The bottom line is that we look on suffering as BAD and God does not. We want it fixed and we want it done yesterday where as God is taking something bad and making something GOOD our of it for us but we do not know that at the time.

Consider the cross of the Lord Jesus. Was it bad. ABSOLUTLTLY. It was a bloody, painful, horrible event. IT was not just bad it was HORRIBLE. But God took that bad event and made something wonderful out of it for you and me.

We can take Bible example after Bible example and see the same thing again and again.

I for one would love to see every single person healed. Will they be, HAVE they been? The obvious answer is NO. We all have been to too many funerals to believe that God heals all of us if we have the faith to believe. Did anyone have more faith than Paul yet when we read the Scriptures we see that he was not healed when he asked God to do so and there were times he as an apostle could not heal others.

So essentially, every cancer patient/suffering christian died because of a lack of faith.

That is not biblical, no matter how you look at it.

I do agree, that God can turn something bad into something that glorifies him, but I put my faith in God's will, not in healing. Maybe God plans for me to die being tortured, he's the one in control. I need to have faith in him and even if I'm being tortured, I can honor God until death.

Well, God's will is to heal. His name is Jehovah Rophe...The Lord Our Healer. Have faith in who He is!

Psalm 103:2-3
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,

Do you believe?
I certainly do. I stated early on that I was not trying to cast doubt, that I was just looking to learn more about prayer and faith and hear others thoughts on it, and it would seem instead I have opened a can of worms. I guess one just can't explore things like this in online forums.

Certainly can do that my brother.

1st of all there is absolutely no one who can say in all honesty that every one of their prayers have been answered. That is why I have said over and over again that God sometimes says NO to prayer requests.

That does not mean however that we should not ask God what is on our heart.

The problem you are asking me to answer is one that you are going to have to ask those on here that are entrenced in the thinking that God will always heal us of our sicknesses. The truth is that we all have pain, we all have aches, we all have had death in our lives. God even allows suffering and pain for His own reasons according to the Scriptures.

I believe that if you study the Scriptures on Prayer you will find it comes in one of Four ways..........
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Wait.
4. My grace is sufficient.

The key is in 1 John 5:14-15..........
" And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him."

The bottom line is that we look on suffering as BAD and God does not. We want it fixed and we want it done yesterday where as God is taking something bad and making something GOOD our of it for us but we do not know that at the time.

Consider the cross of the Lord Jesus. Was it bad. ABSOLUTLTLY. It was a bloody, painful, horrible event. IT was not just bad it was HORRIBLE. But God took that bad event and made something wonderful out of it for you and me.

We can take Bible example after Bible example and see the same thing again and again.

I for one would love to see every single person healed. Will they be, HAVE they been? The obvious answer is NO. We all have been to too many funerals to believe that God heals all of us if we have the faith to believe. Did anyone have more faith than Paul yet when we read the Scriptures we see that he was not healed when he asked God to do so and there were times he as an apostle could not heal others.

Thank you, Major. This is what I was looking for. This helped!

Even no is an answer. God hears and answers ALL the prayers of His children.
Yes, I think we all agree with that. We discussed that early on in the thread. I also wish that I had not used healing as my example as it turned into a thread specifically about healing, and my question was just about prayer in general, not about healing.

Last edited:
Well, God's will is to heal. His name is Jehovah Rophe...The Lord Our Healer. Have faith in who He is!

Psalm 103:2-3
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,

Nowhere does it say "If you have faith, you will never get cancer and die from it"

We have many martyrs, and in their deaths followed many people saved because of the continuation of faith through the uncertainty of their lives.
Cancer is no different. I have complete faith that God has the power to heal me, however, I have the faith that God has this for a reason, and if I lose my life, I'm going to heaven.

Well, just jumping in I havent read every single post, the bible says the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much...(for the sick).

Think about how Jesus prayed, I bet every single one of his prayers was answered because he was absolutely righteous. With us, cos of sin, it may be our prayers are not answered cos we dont really know our Father well enough. Jesus had such a close relationship that he kinda knew what his Father would do.

I think if we draw closer to Him, he will reveal to us his will in areas in our lives. Of course, it is His right to reveal just how much. It is ok to ask and keep praying, but it would be useless to have vain repetitious prayers for things not in His will. I think knowing God more, reading his Word, understanding if that prayer was answered would it actually bring glory to Him, affects how we pray.

When I was starting out as a christian, I would hang out with believers who just said pray ask anything and he'll give what you want. So they prayed kinda selfish prayers looking back on it now and of course lots of them werent answered, or not straight away. God is not a genie like that. We need to pray righteously, I think..and then prayers will be answered. And some people in their releationship with God have been shown they are faithful and so God rewards them with more faith. Its two way.

Also the more time you spend in prayer and travail the more Hes going to answer..

Nowhere does it say "If you have faith, you will never get cancer and die from it"

We have many martyrs, and in their deaths followed many people saved because of the continuation of faith through the uncertainty of their lives.
Cancer is no different. I have complete faith that God has the power to heal me, however, I have the faith that God has this for a reason, and if I lose my life, I'm going to heaven.

Absolutely correct !!!

Regardless of what you are told, bad things happen to people who seem undeserving of them. But God allows things to happen for His reasons, whether or not we understand them.

I just buried my mother last Nov. and there has not been another person born of a woman who was as Christian in all of actions as was she. WHY did she have such a terrible disease and suffer as she did????? Did she not have enough faith to believe in God for a miracle???? NONSENSE! Was it my fault as a son????? NONSENSE! It was because bad things happen to ALL people.

But above all, however, we must remember that God is good, just, loving, and merciful. Often things happen to us that we simply cannot understand. However, instead of doubting God's goodness, our reaction should be to trust Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6.............
”Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight”.

If that is not the case then we would go nuts trying to figure out what we did wrong to cause God to allow it to happen to us.

Oh, really? God doesn't watch over us in protection? Let me remind you that we have many angels assigned to each of us for various reasons. I believe that our faith protects us from so much we have no clue about that is out there which is designed (by our enemy, Satan) to kill or sideline us.

Psalm 91:1-7
1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
he is my God, and I trust him.
3 For he will rescue you from every trap
and protect you from deadly disease.
4 He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
nor the arrow that flies in the day.
6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
though ten thousand are dying around you,
these evils will not touch you.

Well, just jumping in I havent read every single post, the bible says the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much...(for the sick).

Think about how Jesus prayed, I bet every single one of his prayers was answered because he was absolutely righteous. With us, cos of sin, it may be our prayers are not answered cos we dont really know our Father well enough. Jesus had such a close relationship that he kinda knew what his Father would do.

I think if we draw closer to Him, he will reveal to us his will in areas in our lives. Of course, it is His right to reveal just how much. It is ok to ask and keep praying, but it would be useless to have vain repetitious prayers for things not in His will. I think knowing God more, reading his Word, understanding if that prayer was answered would it actually bring glory to Him, affects how we pray.

When I was starting out as a christian, I would hang out with believers who just said pray ask anything and he'll give what you want. So they prayed kinda selfish prayers looking back on it now and of course lots of them werent answered, or not straight away. God is not a genie like that. We need to pray righteously, I think..and then prayers will be answered. And some people in their releationship with God have been shown they are faithful and so God rewards them with more faith. Its two way.

Also the more time you spend in prayer and travail the more Hes going to answer..

The prayers of the righteous are always answered.

Cancer is evil and of the curse. Cancer is something to be hated. God hates sin and why is this? Because sin destroys His people. Cancer destroys His people........So God would will this on some one ? NOT A CHANCE............
So are all cancer cases a result of sin?

People like to take offense at the thought of them lacking faith to be healed. But this IS what Jesus was addressing with His disciples in the example I gave in Matthew. It is always the hindrance on our part(either the person receiving the healing or the person administering the healing), never on God's. Sometimes people think they have genuine faith when in reality it is not genuine.
Preach it brother!

How do you know how much research I have done?

Well, not enough, if you are claiming what you've just claimed. You cannot trust online articles and YouTube snippets. People have their own agendas and sour attitudes.

Back