Question about notes in a Bible

AtomicSnowflake

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
In some of my husband's Bibles... after each of the epistles of Paul's... (one is a Allen, the other a Cambridge turquoise),
There is a note after the last verse of each book that says who "wrote" it..

For example, after Hebrews, the note reads:
"Written to the Hebrews from Italy by Timothy"
--------

Personally, I am taking this to mean the note is basically saying that Paul dictated the letter, and Timothy wrote it?
(I do understand that there is on-going debate of the author, but is generally accepted to have been from Paul... anyway, that is not my question.)

My question is WHY these notes make this claim, yet there is no reference to prove accuracy. No resources or documentations are listed.
And these notes are at the end of all of Pauls letters... listing them as being written by different various people.

Is there some historical text that tells us this info somewhere??

Currently at our mens Bible study at church on Wednesday nights, we’ve been studying the book of James more technical then what I’m Personally use to in the way I study, going over who wrote it, to whom it was written too, looking at text and what the scrolls looked like. It’s all fascinating, but when it all gets said and done 2nd Timothy comes to mind where it says All Scripture is Holy Spirit breathed, another Words God wrote it through mankind being the pen. when it comes to reading the Bible to me the most important is what the Holy Spirit is telling me through the scripture He’s setting before me. goes with Hebrews I love the book and I believe God is the author, I don’t pay much attention to notes left at the bottom, just the notes being placed in my heart by the Helper of Jesus in Truth the Holy Spirit no matter which version as I study one after another spending time with Jesus to further develop Our Relationship

No, without the original autographs, it's a guessing game as to who humanly authored Hebrews. Many names have been put forth throughout history. Paul, would be my preference. But, as Walker said, the divine Author of all Scripture is the Holy Spirit and we can rest assured in that.

Agreed. Then I have to wonder why they would take such liberty as to state it as simply a known fact. Without any reference as to why.

The Bible I use doesn't do this. But instead it does state several of the most popular hypotheses, along with the reasons for them.

Odd, huh.

In some of my husband's Bibles... after each of the epistles of Paul's... (one is a Allen, the other a Cambridge turquoise),

--------

Personally, I am taking this to mean the note is basically saying that Paul dictated the letter, and Timothy wrote it?
(I do understand that there is on-going debate of the author, but is generally accepted to have been from Paul... anyway, that is not my question.)

My question is WHY these notes make this claim, yet there is no reference to prove accuracy. No resources or documentations are listed.
And these notes are at the end of all of Pauls letters... listing them as being written by different various people.

That is a subscription. In some manuscripts at the end of the book of Hebrews there is a subscription. These subscriptions were added by later scribes, and the book of Hebrews has several difference subscriptions.

For example:
(1) προς Εβραιους (“to the Hebrews”)
(2) προς Εβραιους εγραφη απο Ρωμης (“to the Hebrews written from Rome”)
(3) προς Εβραιους εγραφη απο Ιταλιας (“To the Hebrews written from Italy”)
(4) προς Εβραιους εγραφη απο Ιταλιας δια Τιμοθεου (“To the Hebrews written from Italy through Timothy”)
(5) προς Εβραιους εγραφη απο Ρωμης υπο Παυλου τοις εν Ιερουσαλημ (“To the Hebrews written from Rome by Paul to the ones in Jerusalem")
(6) προς Εβραιους εγραφη Εβραιστι απο της Ιταλιας ανονυμως δια Τιμοθεου (“To the Hebrews written in Hebrew from Italy anonymously through Timothy”)
(7) προς Εβραιους εγραφη Εβραιστι απο της Ιταλιας ανονυμως δια Τιμοθεου (“To the Hebrews written in Hebrew from Italy anonymously through Timothy”)
(8) Παυλου επιστολη προς Εβραιους απο της Ιταλιας δια Τιμοθεου (“Epistle of Paul to the Hebrews from Italy through Timothy”)

By the way this list is not exhaustive.

Last edited:

--------

AS, when all else fails, always look to the actual instruction we have from the apostle to you Gentiles...1 John 2:26-27:

26 These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

I've always seen the promises made as being absolutely trustworthy that they will indeed be fulfilled of those things for which the Lord deems necessary for us to know.

MM

Currently at our mens Bible study at church on Wednesday nights, we’ve been studying the book of James more technical then what I’m Personally use to in the way I study, going over who wrote it, to whom it was written too, looking at text and what the scrolls looked like. It’s all fascinating, but when it all gets said and done 2nd Timothy comes to mind where it says All Scripture is Holy Spirit breathed, another Words God wrote it through mankind being the pen. when it comes to reading the Bible to me the most important is what the Holy Spirit is telling me through the scripture He’s setting before me. goes with Hebrews I love the book and I believe God is the author, I don’t pay much attention to notes left at the bottom, just the notes being placed in my heart by the Helper of Jesus in Truth the Holy Spirit no matter which version as I study one after another spending time with Jesus to further develop Our Relationship

Hello Walker;

I'm blessed to know how your men's bible study goes deeper into the study. Your Bible study leader is thorough in his teaching.

In your ministry of poetry its no doubt the Lord is growing you and will have an impact in your current and future writings.

God bless you, Kyle.

Bob

--------

Hello Atomic;

Please provide me the translations with the notation last verse and who wrote it (subscription) that Pastor Kirk is using?

God bless you and thank you.

Bob

Back