1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Proverbs 6:16

Discussion in 'Biblical Advices' started by Lee-Ann, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi, please help me out on Proverbs 6:16. Why does it say there are 6 things God hates but 7 are an abomination? I know that between the GNB and KJ's version there is different wording and I don't want to get stuck on semantics but why the discrepancy between the numbers? Have I missed something in the rest of the book? Thanks:confused:
  2. Hi Lee-Ann, This is a literary device used particularly in Proverbs. You will find a similar structure in 30:18; 30:21; 30:24 and 30:29. Basically it is a way of saying that whatever is said about the first number of things applies even more intensely to the last.

3. Yay :D .. read the passages and I see it now. Thank you!
  4. Correct and do not forget the GNB is only a paraphrase (thus unintentionally tainted with the Author's opinion and limitations of translation...but I like it and have a copy also...however it is not the unadulterated word of God)...