Problem: What Is Sin?

Don't read too much into it, Dave. Flavio meant that he isn't ashamed to be a Christian.

When I see the word pride or proud an amber light goes on and a siren wails.

Especially when it comes to the faith. Because we literally have NOTHING at all to do with Grace. We do not EVEN deserve it.

I have so much trouble with this one statement that I could not even go on in the post.

If you are constantly simmering at 206 degrees F, all you need is 6 more degrees to boil over, and that is not good, and it shows that there's no peace of God in your heart. You being angry at what others believe only means you're taking offence, which is sin.

Philippians 1:9-11 (KJV)
And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and [in] all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 Corinthians 10:32-33 (KJV)
Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all [men] in all [things], not seeking mine own profit, but the [profit] of many, that they may be saved.

When you look at a child who is trying their best to do something, you (should) get a warm fuzzy and you wish them the very best. That's love in action. If you yell at the kid that he's not doing it right, that kid will eventually just give up and resent any words from you.

If you are constantly simmering at 206 degrees F, all you need is 6 more degrees to boil over, and that is not good, and it shows that there's no peace of God in your heart. You being angry at what others believe only means you're taking offence, which is sin.

Philippians 1:9-11 (KJV)
And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and [in] all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 Corinthians 10:32-33 (KJV)
Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all [men] in all [things], not seeking mine own profit, but the [profit] of many, that they may be saved.

When you look at a child who is trying their best to do something, you (should) get a warm fuzzy and you wish them the very best. That's love in action. If you yell at the kid that he's not doing it right, that kid will eventually just give up and resent any words from you.

Pride is NOT something ANY Christian should proclaim.

The sentence should read I am a thankful Christian. Never proud.

We did NOTHING to earn our grace. It was given. There is no pride in receiving a gift. Only thankfulness.

Humility is what we should feel, not pride.

Pride is NOT something ANY Christian should proclaim.

[...]

You are right and I will humbly rephrase it. ;)

LysanderShapiro is right, I meant to say I am happy to proclaim it.

Humility is indeed an important virtue. Before my religious awakening, I always thought it was the least relevant of all virtues (I thought something like 'if you really are talented, it's ok to be arrogant') but not so anymore.

Well, I am proud of my children and their accomplishments. I am proud of my siblings for what they have made of their lives in spite of what they were given at birth. I am proud of my sister, specifically, that she may have nailed what has made me sick every summer for the last 4 or so years. I am proud of the feral mother cat who takes better care of her kittens than way too many human parents.

I think too much has been made of the word proud. Sure, it is a word that carries a lot of negatives in the Bible, but let's look at the word as used today:
Feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one’s own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated...He was so proud of her.
1.1(Of an event, achievement, etc.) causing someone to feel this way....

The biblical word proud is similar to the biblical word father. Many people mistakenly believe they cannot call anyone "father" because the Scriptures say, "Call no one father," yet they think nothing of calling someone "teacher." Matthew 23. For such, the Scripture needs to be reread.

Well, I am proud of my children and their accomplishments. I am proud of my siblings for what they have made of their lives in spite of what they were given at birth. I am proud of my sister, specifically, that she may have nailed what has made me sick every summer for the last 4 or so years. I am proud of the feral mother cat who takes better care of her kittens than way too many human parents.

I think too much has been made of the word proud. Sure, it is a word that carries a lot of negatives in the Bible, but let's look at the word as used today:
Feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one’s own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated...He was so proud of her.
1.1(Of an event, achievement, etc.) causing someone to feel this way....

The biblical word proud is similar to the biblical word father. Many people mistakenly believe they cannot call anyone "father" because the Scriptures say, "Call no one father," yet they think nothing of calling someone "teacher." Matthew 23. For such, the Scripture needs to be reread.

The pride I was using in context was Christian pride.

When used in context with the faith, we cannot boast because we could do nothing to save ourselves.

All that goes to Jesus.

I'm proud to be an American - I had NOTHING to do with that either. I am proud to be a Christian. This means I'm not ashamed of the Gospel.

Pride:
  • a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements,
  • the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated,
  • or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.
You're stuck on it's first definition, so lighten up and stop looking to pick a fight and move on.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (KJV)
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

I'm proud to be an American - I had NOTHING to do with that either. I am proud to be a Christian. This means I'm not ashamed of the Gospel.

Pride:
  • a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements,
  • the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated,
  • or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.
You're stuck on it's first definition, so lighten up and stop looking to pick a fight and move on.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (KJV)
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

I cannot see why any Christian would have pride in any fallen nation. This mindset is beyond comprehension.

I will have to agree to disagree.

Dave, it's best to understand context. Flavio clearly meant he isn't ashamed to be a follower of Jesus.

Don't try to besmirch his character by twisting his words to meaning anything else than what he meant.

Can we move on?

The born again Christians conscience is very important in guiding them in their lives. If you have any doubts in your conscience about doing something, then do not do it, as that does not come from faith. Anything that is not of faith is sin. The Apostle Paul lived his life with a clear conscience.

This is great!

Dave, it's best to understand context. Flavio clearly meant he isn't ashamed to be a follower of Jesus.

Don't try to besmirch his character by twisting his words to meaning anything else than what he meant.

Can we move on?

He already amended what he said. I accept that.

It is just I hear the word pride thrown around by Americans a wee bit too frequently.

I hear arrogance, a feeling of entitlement and plain haughtiness.

I see this every time an American puts down a country other than his own. This is jingoism and is false patriotism.

And I hear Christians do the same about gay marriage all the while ignoring the immoral marriages they carry on within their own churches. That is hypocrisy. The King HATES hypocrisy.

Be joyful, be thankful, be honoured, be humbled; don't be proud.

He already amended what he said. I accept that.

It is just I hear the word pride thrown around by Americans a wee bit too frequently.

I hear arrogance, a feeling of entitlement and plain haughtiness.

I see this every time an American puts down a country other than his own. This is jingoism and is false patriotism.

And I hear Christians do the same about gay marriage all the while ignoring the immoral marriages they carry on within their own churches. That is hypocrisy. The King HATES hypocrisy.

Be joyful, be thankful, be honoured, be humbled; don't be proud.
If there's a cultural difference, you have to accept that some words don't have the same sting in one culture than it might in another. I'd recommend asking for clarification before jumping to conclusions.

what is sin?

Even the Bible seems to be well aware of this difficulty:

There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. (Proverbs 14: 12)

See... That's the amazing freedom of the Liberty we have been given in Christ....

Here's an example...

For a Man who struggles with Lust towards Women - trying to "Minister" to promiscuous women would likely produce severe temptation and perhaps Sin.....

For a Man who does NOT struggle with Lust towards Women - he could successfully minister to promiscuous women without any temptation....

For a Man who struggles with Alcoholism or the love of the "Buzzed" feeling... Being in a bar with your buddies will lead to severe temptation and perhaps Sin....

For a man who does NOT struggle with alcoholism or the love of feeling "Buzzed"... being in a bar, drinking a beer with your buddies will NOT lead to temptation......

For a man who is "Spiritually" Curious - Attending a Jewish synagogue to meet and witness to Jews WILL tempt him.....
For a man who is NOT - attending a Jewish synagogue to meet and witness to Jews will NOT tempt him....

Legalism says "Do Not Touch, Do NOT Taste, Do Not Look, Smell, or Hear".... It doesn't matter if it tempts you or NOT... You CANNOT touch....
Freedom says Know what tempts YOU and what does NOT tempt you.... Use THAT as a Strength to Maximize your service to the Lord....

That is the AMAZING freedom we are given in Christ!

Back