Preventing Pregnancy Displeases Thee Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a problem. I also forgot to make the obvious statement that contraception interferes with the dignity of sex.
How's that? I could agree with you if you are taking about a condom but not anything else.

I got snipped years ago and it feels just as dignified now as it did then.

How's that? I could agree with you if you are taking about a condom but not anything else.

Even if it feels dignified, that doesn't mean that it IS dignified. Vasectomies and tubal ligations are procedures intended to restrict life from coming into existence.

Many people have a very sincere argument for condoms because let's say a couple in Africa where HIV is a common problem may be dealing with one spouse's infection...it is something that is often brought up, and I think for a very good reason.

In your defense, evaluating contraception's immorality can appear much more complex than something as obvious as abortion. But I do think as Christians, because we do value life and marriage, we have a responsibility to look very closely at how we treat sex, and that would include contraception.

I absolutely agree with your points of the value of life, marriage and abortion, I'm sure we'd all agree on those aspects. I just think there's maybe a little mist if you don't mind me saying, when it comes to the issue of sex as it is quite taboo in many Christian circles and for good reason if we are trying to be appropriate however between adults, it's an extremely important aspect of the marriage. Sex or making love should be a regular, initmate encounter between married couples with God even saying it should be regular, In that each couple need to make their own decisions on the frequency as well as the birth control.

I think in this day and age, many can't afford more than two kids, having more would actually be unfair to the children if you can't financially support them so a method of contraception is a very wise opinion indeed so the regular sexual encounters can continue.

Not disputing your position, just some thoughts...

And so is your planned abstinence. You purposely avoid sex to go around God's plan. You restrict life by doing that.

I'm not trying to offend you. I'm only expressing an aspect of my faith.
The difference is a respect for sex and its use, not overstepping sex by another means. I'm not suggesting you are evil because you had a tubal ligation, I'm only stating my belief and why I believe it. It's nothing personal.

I absolutely agree with your points of the value of life, marriage and abortion, I'm sure we'd all agree on those aspects. I just think there's maybe a little mist if you don't mind me saying, when it comes to the issue of sex as it is quite taboo in many Christian circles and for good reason if we are trying to be appropriate however between adults, it's an extremely important aspect of the marriage. Sex or making love should be a regular, initmate encounter between married couples with God even saying it should be regular, In that each couple need to make their own decisions on the frequency as well as the birth control.

I think in this day and age, many can't afford more than two kids, having more would actually be unfair to the children if you can't financially support them so a method of contraception is a very wise opinion indeed so the regular sexual encounters can continue.

Not disputing your position, just some thoughts...

I think that is often the argument for contraception -- the cost of having children. While expenses are reasonable to concern over, the possibility of life within a valid marriage isn't something to exchange. In fact, it has lead to the argument for abortion, which at one point was overwhelmingly considered wrong. Almost 50% condone it, but even many who don't become lenient depending on circumstances.

I'm not suggesting you support abortion or even that those who find no problem with contraception do, but there is a link between the two and how each are perceived by society. Contraception was opposed by almost all Christian groups until the 20th century.

I think that is often the argument for contraception -- the cost of having children. While expenses are reasonable to concern over, the possibility of life within a valid marriage isn't something to exchange. In fact, it has lead to the argument for abortion, which at one point was overwhelmingly considered wrong. Almost 50% condone it, but even many who don't become lenient depending on circumstances.

I'm not suggesting you support abortion or even that those who find no problem with contraception do, but there is a link between the two and how each are perceived by society. Contraception was opposed by almost all Christian groups until the 20th century.

Yes I do see where your coming from and I certainly respect you as you know. I think in some respects reasonable contraception falls into the bracket of 'there's nothing evil within itself', I certainly don't agree with abortion on any level however God calls us as married individuals to regularly partake in sexual relations due to it's importance in the health of marriage. So if we are to partake in regular sexual encounters with our spouse 'un-protected' as it were, we'd have no control over the amount of pregnancies. Like I said, I believe when God's Word gives no specific instruction, we are to consider these options for ourselves. I hope this is coming across in a respectful manner, just adding to the conversation...

Yes I do see where your coming from and I certainly respect you as you know. I think in some respects reasonable contraception falls into the bracket of 'there's nothing evil within itself', I certainly don't agree with abortion on any level however God calls us as married individuals to regularly partake in sexual relations due to it's importance in the health of marriage. So if we are to partake in regular sexual encounters with our spouse 'un-protected' as it were, we'd have no control over the amount of pregnancies. Like I said, I believe when God's Word gives no specific instruction, we are to consider these options for ourselves. I hope this is coming across in a respectful manner, just adding to the conversation...

You are coming off very respectful. I hope I am too.
It absolutely is. I'm glad this topic came up in fact because I think it's one that has become lost in Christian discussions.

You are 100% right about the bonding role sex has between married couples. NFP doesn't promote constant abstinence if it even promotes it at all. It acknowledges about a 10 day window within the wife's cycle where should could become pregnant. For some married couples, that is the time especially when they should be sexually intimate if they are intending to have a kid. If a couple is intending to wait on it, there is 10 days (more or less, depending on the woman's cycle) where they will abstain for the time being. The other days outside of that window, there is still a chance where the wife will get pregnant -- it's not as likely, but it's possible.

But the idea is an openness to God, a respect for the marriage, a respect for the intimacy, and a respect for life.

Sorry for an off track post.. After going over some of the other threads, glad to participate in one thread which did not derail or people did not call out names and no fighting! Especially on a sensitive topic like this.. A nice way to share our thoughts, even though we don't agree with everything..

Absolutely, my friend :)

You are coming off very respectful. I hope I am too.
It absolutely is. I'm glad this topic came up in fact because I think it's one that has become lost in Christian discussions.

You are 100% right about the bonding role sex has between married couples. NFP doesn't promote constant abstinence if it even promotes it at all. It acknowledges about a 10 day window within the wife's cycle where should could become pregnant. For some married couples, that is the time especially when they should be sexually intimate if they are intending to have a kid. If a couple is intending to wait on it, there is 10 days (more or less, depending on the woman's cycle) where they will abstain for the time being. The other days outside of that window, there is still a chance where the wife will get pregnant -- it's not as likely, but it's possible.

But the idea is an openness to God, a respect for the marriage, a respect for the intimacy, and a respect for life.

Absolutely. I have to say I'm not sure that many consider abstaining during the ten day cycle, I know there's no guarantees but if a couple is in a position of not having a desire for more children, it would be the safest time to partake in relations. Let me ask you and it's a genuine question, if a couple were to feel contraception is not for them, could they pray and ask the Lord by saying (for example), "Lord let our intimate life be in your hands, please protect us from pregnancy outwith your will". I mean we pray for couples to conceive, can we pray so they won't?

Absolutely. I have to say I'm not sure that many consider abstaining during the ten day cycle, I know there's no guarantees but if a couple is in a position of not having a desire for more children, it would be the safest time to partake in relations. Let me ask you and it's a genuine question, if a couple were to feel contraception is not for them, could they pray and ask the Lord by saying (for example), "Lord let our intimate life be in your hands, please protect us from pregnancy outwith your will". I mean we pray for couples to conceive, can we pray so they won't?
Good question. I think ultimately, our prayers should be in thanksgiving and asking His will. Though sometimes we may forget to do that.

If you don't mind my asking--why only a condom and nothing else if each serve the same purpose?

I find it troubling/amusing that many who claim that their every thought is directed by God, refuse to allow God to handle their lives when it comes to bearing children.
If you REALLY want to let God handle things, throw the contraceptives away and actually let God determine the "how many and when" of having children.

the results can be all over the place
My first girlfriend was the youngest of 8.
My wife was an only child.
My mother was pregnant 5 times, but only two were born alive. (yes, I was one of the two that lived)

As to contraceptives to prevent disease - this may sound harsh but the diseased should not be having sex.
That's how they got that way in the first place.

As to contraceptives to prevent disease - this may sound harsh but the diseased should not be having sex.
That's how they got that way in the first place.
Playing devil's advocate, if a place like Uganda where the viruses are so common and many of the diseased are innocent, I think asking whether condoms are valid in cases like that are poignant. This would be if one half of the married couple was diseased. I hold to the same position, but I do think it's a reasonable think to ask.

It's not immoral. Christian or otherwise.

I mean the discussion isn't about what's enjoyable, it's a discussion of whether it's immoral or not. You hold the position that it isn't. However, you believe that condom use isn't immoral (or did you mean that condoms aren't immoral but you just don't find them enjoyable?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back