Prayer Question

Prayer Question

Ok, I have started studying the Bible. Not just reading it, actually trying to understand everything I read. I am starting in the New Testament.

My Mom prayed all my life, and most of the time she would be on her knees for an hour or more. She has a book and once you're on her list, you never leave it until you pass away.

Well, since being born again and praying, I name each and every person in my family and my closest friends. I pray for those I say that I will pray for.

But could someone tells me what this scripture means?

Matthew 5:7-13 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9This, then, is how you should pray:

"'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11Give us today our daily bread. 12 Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

So my question is, does the Lord want me to name each and every person and their needs or am I supposed to keep it simple because he already knows what the needs are?

Edited to say, I apologize if my questions seem ignorant. When it comes to the Bible and it's meanings, I think I pretty much am ignorant. I'm trying to change that.

Thanks, Cheri:groupray:

So my question is, does the Lord want me to name each and every person and their needs or am I supposed to keep it simple because he already knows what the needs are?

Edited to say, I apologize if my questions seem ignorant. When it comes to the Bible and it's meanings, I think I pretty much am ignorant. I'm trying to change that.

Thanks, Cheri:groupray:

Hi Cherri, this is a good question to which my best answer is to say that.."it depends."

People have different ways to pray and intercede for others..but you are right in that God does know their needs. To me simplicity is the way to go; but then, too, I think it really depends on what the prayer is for and sometimes what the situation is. When praying for others I often mention their needs; but sometimes I just lift them up to the Lord trusting God knows the details. This is necessary for me because, frankly, I can't always remember all the details myself and I figure that God has a better memory than I do. :)

Making a list is a good idea but I don't repeat the same people over and over again unless another need arises or I know they need daily prayer as they face something.

I am part of the prayer ministry at my church and pray for people face to face after services. Sometimes (but not always) after these sessions I tell them I will continue to pray for them. When I do this I usually say that I will remember them in my prayers that week. If I kept praying for them indefinitely it would be a list beyond my waking time each day.

I also receive forwarded prayer requests via email which come to the intercessory prayer team (which I am part of) of our church. [We are a large congregation] These are requests called into the office or generally to staff members and forwarded to our intercessory prayer people. When I read them I pray right there for them lifting up their need if given. But unless another request comes for the same person I don't keep a list of all of those and keep repeating prayers for them.

God sees the love in our hearts as well as hears our words.

But it is very important that..

Before we move into spending a lot of time praying for other people..we, ourselves, be praising and thanking Him each and every day and continuing to study the scriptures on a regular basis. We also pray that our hearts will be cleansed so that we can pray right. And we trust the Holy Spirit will guide us in our prayers and how long we pray.

Although we are all to pray some are called to do this..thus intercede..more than others. And when that happens more time is usually spent. God will not give us more than we can handle as long as He is in charge.

Bottom line..keep it simple and move into it gradually.

my 2 cents..

peace and blessings.

Hi Cherri, this is a good question to which my best answer is to say that.."it depends."

People have different ways to pray and intercede for others..but you are right in that God does know their needs. To me simplicity is the way to go; but then, too, I think it really depends on what the prayer is for and sometimes what the situation is. When praying for others I often mention their needs; but sometimes I just lift them up to the Lord trusting God knows the details. This is necessary for me because, frankly, I can't always remember all the details myself and I figure that God has a better memory than I do. :)

Making a list is a good idea but I don't repeat the same people over and over again unless another need arises or I know they need daily prayer as they face something.

I am part of the prayer ministry at my church and pray for people face to face after services. Sometimes (but not always) after these sessions I tell them I will continue to pray for them. When I do this I usually say that I will remember them in my prayers that week. If I kept praying for them indefinitely it would be a list beyond my waking time each day.

I also receive forwarded prayer requests via email which come to the intercessory prayer team (which I am part of) of our church. [We are a large congregation] These are requests called into the office or generally to staff members and forwarded to our intercessory prayer people. When I read them I pray right there for them lifting up their need if given. But unless another request comes for the same person I don't keep a list of all of those and keep repeating prayers for them.

God sees the love in our hearts as well as hears our words.

But it is very important that..

Before we move into spending a lot of time praying for other people..we, ourselves, be praising and thanking Him each and every day and continuing to study the scriptures on a regular basis. We also pray that our hearts will be cleansed so that we can pray right. And we trust the Holy Spirit will guide us in our prayers and how long we pray.

Although we are all to pray some are called to do this..thus intercede..more than others. And when that happens more time is usually spent. God will not give us more than we can handle as long as He is in charge.

Bottom line..keep it simple and move into it gradually.

my 2 cents..

peace and blessings.

Thanks so much, this made perfect sense to me.

Peace and blessings to you also my Sister.:groupray:

This scripture also speaks about mindless mechanical prayer such as simply repeating a prayer over and over. God wants to talk to you and fellowship with you not hear formulas and hear ritual recitations.

Back