Prayer backfired

My husband and I divorced years ago, and after the divorce he had no contact with me or our children. Our children really missed him and no matter how hurt i was i would pray that he would be healthy, successful, and come back to our children and be the father he should be. Not come back to be a family again but be there for our kids. So about 2 years went by and my ex made a come back and we were happy because we thought this would be a new start to rebuilding that father relationship our kids have always wanted. So the more he is around the more our kids are miserable. They wish he never tried to be a father to them now. There's been so much emotional/ mental abuse from him. Child Protective services and law enforcement have been involved so many times to try to help our kids. So now I feel guilty and responsible for the chaos that's going on because I'm the one who prayed for him to come back to be a father to them. I have taught our children to pray for their dad and to love him no matter what. I prayed for him to be there, to be supportive, to be a good father, not to come back and hurt them. Now i find myself praying that he would get a great promotion at work that would transfer him to a place far away from us. Did my prayers backfire?

I dont know who did you prayed to ? Some people pray to Mary and saints, others pray to Heavenly Father in Jesus name. And others pray to other gods.

Are you a christian believer...? Dont be offended by this question, just it will help us understand your situation. What about your ex husband. Is he?

So now I feel guilty and responsible for the chaos that's going on because I'm the one who prayed for him to come back to be a father to them.

That's your enemy the devil putting that guilt trip on you.
So you prayed - Good !!
Your X has free will to act anyway he wants.
Your prayers had nothing to do with his actions.

Now i find myself praying that he would get a great promotion at work that would transfer him to a place far away from us. Did my prayers backfire?

Forgiveness will move God
Walking in Love will move God
Standing on God's word will move God.

To say your prayers backfired is the same as saying God put you in a bad situation simply because you prayed.

There is more at work here other then your prayers.
Blessings
FCJ

I dont know who did you prayed to ? Some people pray to Mary and saints, others pray to Heavenly Father in Jesus name. And others pray to other gods.

Are you a christian believer...? Dont be offended by this question, just it will help us understand your situation. What about your ex husband. Is he?

Yes I am a Christian believer. I pray to my heavenly father. He is the only God.
My ex used to go to church with us and i thought he was a believer. But looking back I think he only believed in God and came to church because I did, not because he wanted to.

Yes I am a Christian believer. I pray to my heavenly father. He is the only God.
My ex used to go to church with us and i thought he was a believer. But looking back I think he only believed in God and came to church because I did, not because he wanted to.
Ok well, do your children believe in their heavenly Father and that He loves them? Maybe God answered your prayer that way. Jesus said those that do the will of God are the same as mother, sister and brothers -Jesus had Joseph but even so he was not his heavenly Father.

Really we are to call no man our Father except God. matthew 23:9
This is not to say we dont have earthly parents but even they fail us, and will grow old and die and sometimes vex us etc.

Sometimes women make foolish choices in marriages, I see it so often that often they think they can change a man after they marry them but the man you marry is not going to drastically change just cos hes married to you and say a prayer. Sorry but many women just need to face up to reality and not think they can just get married to anyone who asks them and everything will be fine.

Your ex needs to hear and understand the gospel if he doesnt yet believe that Jesus can change his heart. So pray for his salvation. Doesnt matter what he did in past what matters is where he is at today.

I will pray for you and your family, that God's will be done.
I don't believe that your prayers "backfired"... but your ex was given another chance to be a good father, but made poor decisions.
You cannot allow his poor decisions/attitude to cause you to dwell in negative emotions that are causing you to doubt God & your faith. Negativity, doubts, fears, depression, anxiety, etc. are all tools the devil uses against us. Cast them out! Take the advice here:

(Philippians 3:13-14)
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do,forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

(Philippians 4:8)
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Back