Pray For Me

How many days have you gone without a smoke now?...Must be getting near 3 weeks?

I have made some changes, but I confess that I have only gone for stretches each day so far. I have tried Abdicate's advice but maybe not as much as I should. I repeat it a few times per day. I have cut down.

I have made some changes, but I confess that I have only gone for stretches each day so far. I have tried Abdicate's advice but maybe not as much as I should. I repeat it a few times per day. I have cut down.

With all due respect to Abdicate, he hasn't "been there done that" I recommend you take the advice of those who have successfully kicked the habit.
You can use nicotine patches or gum for a few days.....that is fine, (as long as you need actually) but while ever there is tobacco within easy reach, you have not even begun to quit.
You need to know (if you don't already), that you are battling two addictions.
The first and most immediately damaging to your health is of course Nicotine/tar addiction.
The second and in some ways the more insidious is the physical need for holding and mouthing a cigarette.
And that later is perhaps the way in which the addiction can defeat us if a cigarette is within easy reach. That is why I said to get rid of them from your easy reach.
I used to carry my cigarettes in my shirt pocket. Although I pretty well licked the nicotine craving after 3 days or so, I found myself reaching for a cigarette (subconsciously) for 4-5 years, yet I had no desire to light up. I believe that if Cigarettes had been easily on hand, I could have lit up without thinking and that might have hooked me again.

Well...I know you are right (@calvin about having cigarettes in easy reach and also right about being addicted to mouthing and blowing smoke. That's why the gum didn't work so well for me (altho I hear it tastes better now). I have trepiditiously, decided not to buy any more tobacco. I detest running out of things - so I have a back log. But Ab's advice has been a bit helpful in reminding me that thru Christ I am worthy. And worthier still because of your prayers. The guilt of asking is seriously kicking in.(y)

Back