Power Of The Tongue.

Power of the tongue.

Introduction

This bible study shows us the power of our tongues. It will teach us how to guard our tongues and that we speak from the abundance of the heart. We will conclude that with our tongues we please God in worship and praise as well as fellowship with fellow men.

The power of our tongue.

Proverbs 18:20-21, “With the fruit of a man's mouth his stomach will be full; the produce of his lips will be his in full measure. Death and life are in the power of the tongue; and those to whom it is dear will have its fruit for their food.”

Our words will be for us or against us according to whether we control our tongues. Our words will indicate whether the fruit of our hearts are good. Many died due to their own foul words and many were killed by false words. Lives were also saved by wise and gentle words. Let’s take a look at James 3:2-11.

“For we all go wrong in a number of things. If a man never makes a slip in his talk, then he is a complete man and able to keep all his body in control. Now if we put bits of iron into horses' mouths so that they may be guided by us, we have complete control of their bodies. And again ships, though they are so great and are moved by violent winds, are turned by a very small guiding-blade, at the impulse of the man who is using it. Even so the tongue is a small part of the body, but it takes credit for great things. How much wood may be lighted by a very little fire! And the tongue is a fire; it is the power of evil placed in our bodies, making all the body unclean, putting the wheel of life on fire, and getting its fire from hell. For every sort of beast and bird and every living thing on earth and in the sea has been controlled by man and is under his authority; But the tongue may not be controlled by man; it is an unresting evil, it is full of the poison of death. With it we give praise to our Lord and Father; and with it we put a curse on men who are made in God's image. Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing. My brothers, it is not right for these things to be so. Does the fountain send from the same outlet sweet and bitter water?”

We who profess faith in Jesus should control our tongues. Our words needs to be kind and gentle and not of forceful nature. To control your tongue proves that you are in control of yourself. It shows that you are a sincere Christian who not only controls your tongue but also your actions. An uncontrollable tongue is the terror of the greatest and most harmful evils. It drew the whole body into sin. An uncontrolled tongue is troublesome, producing rage and hatred and things that serves satin’s purpose. It is extremely difficult to control the tongue which requires great watchfulness, effort and prayer. The tongue tends to spit out poison on one occasion or another despite the greatest care we may exercise. We must take care of the use of our tongues. The next division in this bible study looks at how to guard our tongues.

Guard your tongue

The first scripture in this division is Proverbs 13:2-3.

“A man will get good from the fruit of his lips, but the desire of the false is for violent acts. He who keeps a watch on his mouth keeps his life; but he whose lips are open wide will have destruction.”

If you speak from the goodness of the heart, you will have inner comfort and peace. But he who releases evil through his words and actions will destroy relationships. Guarding your lips is guarding your sole. He who controls his tongue, keeps his life from guilt and grief. Let’s look at another verse.

Proverbs 21:23, “He who keeps watch over his mouth and his tongue keeps his soul from troubles.”

We are in control to determine if we want to live peacefully or in chaos. We decide to guard our tongues. We determine the condition of our hearts. Guard your heart and your tongue will keep you from sin. Guard your tongue and you will keep your heart from sin. The next verse in this division is Proverbs 10:11.

“The mouth of the upright man is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the evil-doer is a bitter cup.”

Noticed that our words bring life or death into situations. A good man is communicating the goodness of his heart. Let’s guard our tongues and hearts as a fountain of life. The next verse is found in Proverbs 10:19-21.

“Where there is much talk there will be no end to sin, but he who keeps his mouth shut does wisely. The tongue of the upright man is like tested silver: the heart of the evil-doer is of little value. The lips of the upright man give food to men, but the foolish come to death for need of sense.”

Many words bring trouble. It is wisdom to keep your tongue from talking too much. Those who love to hear themselves talking do not consider the impact of their words on others. Our words need to be nourishing the souls of others. Let’s look at the last verse in this division of the bible study.

Proverbs15:1-5, “By a soft answer wrath is turned away, but a bitter word is a cause of angry feelings. Knowledge is dropping from the tongue of the wise; but from the mouth of the foolish comes a stream of foolish words. The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good. A comforting tongue is a tree of life, but a twisted tongue is a crushing of the spirit. A foolish man puts no value on his father's training; but he who has respect for teaching has good sense.”

Calm and peaceful words will diffuse wrath in a troublesome conversation. Let us look at the next division of this bible study.

Speaking from the heart.

We already touched this point by saying that we must guard our hearts as we guard our tongues. Let us turn to Luke 6:45.

“The good man, out of the good store of his heart, gives good things; and the evil man, out of his evil store, gives evil: for out of the full store of the heart come the words of the mouth.”

The Greek text of heart is kardia. This word kardia means mind, will and emotions. Luke tells us in this scripture that the abundance of our heart (mind, will and emotions) we speak. In other words, what is going on in the inside will come out. We need constantly to renew our thinking through church attendance, bible reading, bible studies and fellowship with other believers. We should seek to have our hearts filled with abundance of God’s word. Let us look at another verse in this division of the bible study.

Colossians 3:15-16, “And let the peace of Christ be ruling in your hearts, as it was the purpose of God for you to be one body; and give praise to God at all times. Let the word of Christ be in you in all wealth of wisdom; teaching and helping one another with songs of praise and holy words, making melody to God with grace in your hearts.”

We are called to be at peace with one another. Peace can be preserve in as through thankfulness. The work of thanksgiving to God helps us to be sweet and pleasant towards all people. God’s word must live in us in such a way that we are walking encyclopaedias of righteousness.

Conclusion

The conclusion of this bible study is found in Hebrew 13:15-16.

“Let us then make offerings of praise to God at all times through him, that is to say, the fruit of lips giving witness to his name. But go on doing good and giving to others, because God is well-pleased with such offerings.”

Let us go out in the world giving praises to God with thanksgiving on our lips. Let us not forget to be a light for all people.

Father, help us guarding our tongues and hearts from sin. Lead us in this world through Your light so that we can be the light for others. Place a guarding angel in front of our lips so that our words can be a blessing towards those in need. Thank You Lord that You send the Holy Spirit to teach and guide us in this very important aspect of our lives. In Jesus name. Amen.

I hate my stupid tongue....gets my into about 95% of all my trouble....

Matthew 15:
11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

The tongue just speaks what my heart tells it to.

I hate my stupid heart... :notworthy:

I don't know-I partially agree-it speaks from the fleshly heart-but then when I find myself in the wrong my 'spiritual heart' usually is rebuking me while the words are still rolling of my tongue...

Yes Mike, you talk too much. Your heart is fine. But your brain needs to make your tongue talk less :p.
Typing too much / talking too much causes inevitable conflict. Best case scenario we just annoying.

Our tongue no more causes us to sin than our hands or eyes do, as Jesus made clear in in Matthew 5 and 18 and Mark 9.
Every sin stems from our heart/will/sinful nature.

It is always best to think before speaking to consider what is to be said and how it will impact others.
You are so right Major. The tongue gives voice to the thoughts of the heart. We need to control our tongues thereby placing constraint on the thoughts of our hearts. But men still need a renewed heart no matter how disciplined the tongue is.

You are so right Major. The tongue gives voice to the thoughts of the heart. We need to control our tongues thereby placing constraint on the thoughts of our hearts. But men still need a renewed heart no matter how disciplined the tongue is.

A question calvin. Is the lack of ones ability to control their tongue a giveaway on the real condition of their heart?

In other words, someone who claims Christ but is always found in arguments, confrontations and making personal attacks really a saved person?

It just sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Major I believe I understand where you're coming from.
Certainly, (I believe) the inability to control the tongue is related to the condition of the heart, just as the tongue can place some constraint on the heart. As I understand it, things like arguing, insults, hypocrisy and so on are manifestations of a carnality that is dangerously in control of the heart. To go so far as to say that such a one is unsaved is probably overstepping the mark.
Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
There is ample warning here for those of whom you speak, only let the Spirit condemn them or regenerate them as Christ wills.
Let this prayer be on all our lips and in our hearts
Psa 51: 9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right2 spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Major I believe I understand where you're coming from.
Certainly, (I believe) the inability to control the tongue is related to the condition of the heart, just as the tongue can place some constraint on the heart. As I understand it, things like arguing, insults, hypocrisy and so on are manifestations of a carnality that is dangerously in control of the heart. To go so far as to say that such a one is unsaved is probably overstepping the mark.
Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
There is ample warning here for those of whom you speak, only let the Spirit condemn them or regenerate them as Christ wills.
Let this prayer be on all our lips and in our hearts
Psa 51: 9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right2 spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Thanks calvin for your impute. I do in fact agree with you as the only two who know if one is saved is the person and God.

But beyond that, this was done without calvin's knowledge at all. The last two comments I mean. On another thread about getting back to a friendlier CFS, there seems to be some contention about how we speak one to another. I posed the question to calvin on this thread which IMO could be very explosive. As all can see calvins answer was friendly, compassionate, encouraging and correctly said. See, it is all about HOW something is said as much as what is said.

While I agree our tongues, from what they say, seem to/can get us in trouble, however, we mustn't stop at Rom 7 because Paul goes on to teach how to be free from the preoccupation of sin that grips us, as is manifested if the above posts, and live in liberty from the preoccupation of sin in Rom 8, ...hence he was able to say, "I judge not my own self." 1 Cor 4:3

Now please, before anyone starts throwing rocks, I'm NOT teaching sinless perfection, what I am saying is, as we are being transformed, metaphorphasized into the image of Christ (Jesus wasn't preoccupied with sin), depending on the Holy Spirit, moment by moment, to lead, guide and direct us, as we are "putting on," the image of Christ, we find the Holy Spirit is the One sitting on the throne of our hearts directing our tongues, I have found many times the desire to say something unkind is in my mind, but the desire is overruled by the Holy Spirit influencing my heart, when I find myself in that situation I hear that still small voice saying, "I love them, why don't you try and see what I see/love in them," ...now isn't that exactly the intention/meaning of the New Covenant Jer 31:31-34?

I believe like Paul, the Holy Spirit was given to us so that we could walk a walk pleasing to the Father, ...and if anyone sins, which we all do this side of Heaven, if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us, ...great is the mystery between Christ and His Church, ...I'm not saying I understand it, but I can say it works.

Blessings,

Gene

The tongue reveals what's in the heart. If you are walking in the flesh, it reveals the flesh. If you are walking in the Spirit, it reveals the Spirit. Let's walk in the Spirit so that we don't display the flesh.

James provides for good and wholesome meditation on the tongue, yes.

Over 20 years ago a guy called Simo Ralevic wrote a book on James and the tongue, called 'The Tongue, Our Measure'.

Blessings.

Back