Pope Resigns - Sign Of The Times?

Calvin Says : When John spoke of silence in heaven for about 1/2 an hour, that was probably just a figure of speech.....he didn't have a rolex.

Well, that's your argument, I suppose? Not mine. Being in the time frame, do the living at the time of final judgement get a free pass or is all time suspended. Scripture tells us that, unless you discount Revelations, that final judgement does not occur until Christ's second coming. It also indicates that only those who have accepted the mark of the beast have no chance at salvation. Living or Dead. As the time has not occurred that the mark is being given ( Dang - did I miss that too? Hooray!) then all those who are dead, now, still have a chance to be saved?

As I said..."All very confusing really"
Final judgment is the great white throne judgment. Read Rev 20 for a sort of time line. The saved are resurrected and reign with Christ, the rest of the dead stay that way till the end.
There is a chance that the beast and his mark are factors that need to be addressed in every age.
Ask yourself why there is such a flap about a lizard running round with a rubber stamp if it is only going to be here for a few years?

Calvin says: 'As I said..."All very confusing really"

Mind you, I'm not saying you are wrong about the chance that the mark of the beast is something offered in every age, but John says it's a mark that the antichrist insists you get on forehead or hand to do business. Is the antichrist in every age? Well, I guess we know evil is in every age. umm... what's that about a lizard? I'll bet you have scripture that backs that up too.

Calvinb says :Lizard......scripture? No that comes from the 'calvin's compendium of facetiousness'.

Fictionary? merriam/ webster says:
: joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor and I've enjoyed some of your reponses at other times, on here and other places - but I don't get jokes, where I am perhaps the butt - again not because I can't laugh at myself but because you seem to me to be casting unwarranted ridicule with your facetiousness. If that wasn't your intent, I apologize

Ummm is this to me?
Actually yes, sorry for the confusion. I should know better.
calvin said:
There is a chance that the beast and his mark are factors that need to be addressed in every age.​
OK...I'll bite...whatcha mean by this?
I think that in every age Christians have to face certain persecutions and take a stand to some degree or other.
It doesn't matter much if a Christian living under the rule of a Roman emperor was required to sacrifice to some lump of stone, or later in history, make happy for the Spanish inquisitors or still later hide from the Gestapo, or at any time in history just compromise Christ in order to get along. The literal presence of the seven headed hydra and his sidekick, might not be as sudden as many suppose.
John the Baptist, came to prepare the way of the Lord, to make straight the paths and so on. Jesus didn't just appear with no prep work having been done, with no advance promos, and I doubt that the beast will not also have some promos of his own to set the stage for his dirty work.

Silk Posted : but I don't get jokes, where I am perhaps the butt
Sorry Silk, you were not the butt..absolutely not. I think we both have misunderstood each other.

NO! Figurative!

NO! Literal!

NO! Historical!

NO! Futuristic!

I have to go tell someone Christ is coming back.................. <walking to the door>

It's gotta be discussed, IMO, among the messengers or the message gets garbled.

Folks do ask questions after conversion.

Tis true, but it can also be extremely frustrating when we Brothers & Sisters can't seem to ever be of 'one accord'.

Oh Lord, please tarry no more-or wait-should I ask Him to tarry longer?

As the Goons once remarked "All very confusing really"
images

Ahhh they were the good ol' days!

before canned laughter ruined comedy completely.

Mr Darby posted :

Yes siree it is
But does it say what the time interval between death and judgment is?
There is no time in heaven or the other place, only eternity.
When John spoke of silence in heaven for about 1/2 an hour, that was probably just a figure of speech.....he didn't have a rolex.

Can you find you find a passage of scripture that says there is no time after death or in heaven, or hell? How can you be sure that statement was a figure of speech? Do you say that because you have objective evidence of that, or because you have assumed that there is no time in heaven, and you are reading it in the light of that assumption? Often I have misunderstood scriptures by reading them in the light of an assumption.

Scripture tells us that time interval. When the rich man died, he lifted up his eyes in hell. Luke 16:22,23 says:

'And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.'

Note that the rich man's punishment and Lazarus' reward came immediately.

When the dying thief died, his reward was to be immediate. Luke 23:43 says,

'And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.'

It is clear from scripture that rewards and judgments and rewards begin immediately after death.

Yeah...Tis a shame...but look at what Paul and James and Peter were saying at the very start...There never was a total consensus on most matters in the laity. They themselves were of one accord....but why??

The key is...now that the world is much more complex, Christians need to be very studious and prayerful with what they buy as "gospel facts" concerning ANY wind of doctrine.

I think there will be total unity just before the Lord returns, but it will not come from ecumenical "movements", institutional programs, or by force of any kind from man or Master.
There was you know. It was a consensus of confusion.:)
I gotta go, but I might start a new thread because I don't want some body declaring that Satan is a catholic.

I would ask you where this is denoted as being a parable? Do you call it that because it is stated, or because you assume it to be one?

G'day Mr. darby. Define objective.
There are several things to look at for example, Ecc 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
Eternity Noun 1. Infinite duration, without beginning in the past or end in
the future; also, duration without end in the future;
endless time.
2.Condition which begins at death; immortality.
You cited Luke 23:43, OK so then regardless of whether Jesus was speaking from His divine onmipresent nature or as Mary's human son, the thief gets to be in paradise that same day.....good. Now look at Rev 20:4,5,6. Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection.
Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

How many years later was this? It is not unreasonable to understand that having died, one goes straight to the judgment, be it the first resurrection or the second resurrection. But No, there is no scripture that says there is no concept of time in heaven, just plenty that talks about eternity

What is a parable? Is it not a teaching story?
as for Lazarus and the rich dead person, is that set in a teaching context?
If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck.......
If it reads like a parable and teaches like a parable.........

Paul expected to depart and be with Christ. Philippians 1:23,

'For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better'.

And Lazarus was immediately in paradise.

As you get to know me better, you will find that I don't care too much for the opinions of Biblical 'scholars'. Most of them spend a majority of the time trying to get around what the text obviously says in order to defend their own theological biases. I am only interested in the scriptures themselves.

In regard to the question of parables, we find the prophet Ezekiel giving a somber prophecy in Ezekiel 20:45-48,

Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Son of man, set thy face toward the south, and drop thy word toward the south, and prophesy against the forest of the south field;
And say to the forest of the south, Hear the word of the LORD; Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will kindle a fire in thee, and it shall devour every green tree in thee, and every dry tree: the flaming flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from the south to the north shall be burned therein.
And all flesh shall see that I the LORD have kindled it: it shall not be quenched.

A very somber message indeed! How did his hearers react? Verse 49 says,

Then said I, Ah Lord GOD! they say of me, Doth he not speak parables?

We must be very careful in labeling teachings as parables when they contain a message we might not like. The tendency of flesh is to not take God literally when it doesn't suit our own notions. It is too much of a stretch to suggest that everything in this passage must be a parable because some of the teachings in the passage are parables.

Back