1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Pop quiz: when was Jesus crucified?

Discussion in 'Doctrinal Discussions' started by TheCurseOfTheRodain, Mar 24, 2015.

1. I didn't know this until somewhat recently, but Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and rose Saturday evening/late afternoon as the sun was going down.

At first it sounds crazy, but the reason is because since most people read the Scripture where it says the next day was the Sabbath they assume that it means the typical Saturday sabbath. However in John 19 it says the Sabbath referred to is an high day, and in Leviticus, there were 7 high days which were like bonus sabbaths, making it so that 7 x a year there were 2 sabbaths in the same week.

In this particular year, it fell on a Thursday. So Jesus was crucified and dead by 3 PM Wednesday. In the evening, His body was placed in the tomb and that was night #1 (for in Matt 12 Jesus said He would be in the belly of the earth 3 days and 3 nights (the tradition of Friday to Sunday also would make Jesus a liar since that would be 2 nights and 1 day)).
    THEN, Thursday day was day #1 and then Thursday night was night #2, Friday day was day #2 and Friday night was night #3 and Saturday day was day #3 and somewhere around the later afternoon or end of afternoon Jesus resurrected. And then when before the sun was up the following Sunday morning they found He was already gone out of the tomb.
    Therefore according to the Scriptures, it is Good Wednesday, not Good Friday. Thank God for Good Wednesday! And Good Saturday (Resurrection Day!)!
    Juk, Cturtle and Abdicate says Amen and like this.
  2. That really is not news my brother. It has been postulated and argued over now for almost 2000 years.

There is one thing that you might find interesting, which I believe points to a Friday crucifixion.

It is found in Ex 12:3-6. In celebrating the Passover, God commanded each household in Israel to choose a lamb on the 10th of the month of Abib/Nisan, and kill it on the 14th. The traditional reason why there was a 4 day interval was so that the lamb could be inspected to make sure there were no flaws in it. To me this is fascinating, because it seems to correspond directly to Jesus.

When Jesus made His Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday in Mk. 11:11 it says He went into the Temple and looked around, but since it was late, He left for Bethany. (the other Gospels say He cleansed the Temple that same day). The next day that is in Mark. 12:12, Monday, He went back into Jerusalem, and for the next 4 days (Monday the 10th- Friday the 14th) He was examined and questioned by the Jewish leaders. Of course, there was no flaw in Him, although they failed to believe this. Then on Friday, the 14th, He was crucified.

Just something to consider.
  3. But the problem with that is the dismissal of the high day sabbath, which meant 2 sabbaths in a week (the 1st being on Thursday).
  4. Yep... it's in my free book on my site. He died on 14 Nisan 3787 (9 April 27 AD), Jesus Died at the age of 32 and 5 month 28 days. (He would have been 33 in another 7 months.) Exactly 483 years 13 days from the command to rebuild the city! :) God is great!
    Cturtle likes this.
  5. LOL it doesn't say any day of the week in Mark... 14 Nisan is fluid... it only falls on certain days of the week and 10 Nisan NEVER EVER falls on a Sunday...
  6. In fact, scriptures show the first Passover 14 Nisan was a Wednesday :) Read my book to learn where ... :sneaky:

Also, the Jews today celebrate Passover on 15 Nisan which is how Jesus could have the Passover and it wasn't the Passover... the Jews (Pharisees) are wrong, even back in Jesus' time. This is why John refers to the "Jews" he means the Pharisees.

7. I am so glad that you started this thread. For the past year or so, i kept trying to add the days up in my head and they never added up. I kept asking God, why this is so. So when i first read this....i thought could this really be true? And now reading what abdicate has said helps to bring a little more peace to my mind. Out of the mouths of two witnesses.... blessings of peace and joy be yours in abundance.
    TheCurseOfTheRodain likes this.
  8. Yes, I remember watching Brother Copeland and Rick Renner teaching about this from the Scriptures before last Easter. I had always wondered about the 3 days and 3 nights thing too, because Friday evening to essentially Saturday evening comes way short. John 19 explains it though, so thank God for Good Wednesday!

And if you have the time, I cannot recommend enough watching that series on the KCM website with Rick Renner because they detail what exactly Jesus suffered physically and spiritually and it's way beyond anything I ever understood
    Cturtle likes this.

9. I have a few with Rick Renner on mp3...do you remember the title of it?
  10. I think it is Jesus paid it all or it is finished
    Cturtle likes this.
  11. Why do you ASSUME the High Sabbath was on Thursday (and are you thinking in terms of our sense of days which the Hebrews never considered?)...they could have both been on the same weekday in that year
  12. Hey cturtle, it's the April 14th thru 18th series of 2014 AD, as well as the April 7th thru 11th series of last year. In particular I think it's the 2nd and 3rd days of the April 14th set that have such detail in them, but I would watch the whole 2 weeks. You will be in tears, good tears.
  13. Because Jesus, Who cannot lie, said He would be in the belly of the earth 3 days and 3 nights. Night 1 was Wed night, Day 1 was Thursday, Night 2 was Thursday night, Day 2 was Friday, Night 3 was Friday night, Day 3 was Saturday and sometime Saturday evening He resurrected, because before the sun was up on Sunday Jesus was long gone out of that tomb.
    No other day but Wednesday fits the 3 days and nights promise of Jesus.
  14. Oh yawn! That horse has been beaten to death. Hear this...
    Forgetting the name of the exegete who actually gave us this please read

• Ten times it was specified that the resurrection would take place on the "third day" (Mat.16:21; 17:23; 20:19; Mark 9:31; 10:34, Luke 9:22; 13:32; 18:33; 24:7,46).
    • On five occasions they said, "in three days" (Matthew 26:61; 27:40, Mark 15:29, John 2:19-20), same thing.
    • Twice they used the phrase, "after three days" (Matthew 27:63, Mark 8:31) still can mean the same thing as you will see in what follows.
    • And one time only Jesus spoke of His death as "three days and three nights" (Matthew 12:40).
    Without question, all of these various expressions are used to describe the very same event. There seems to be no controversy regarding this point. "The third day," "in three days," "after three days," and "three days and three nights" are equivalent terms used in the scripture in reference to the resurrection. Therefore the last phrase mentioned here is understood differently than one would understand it if judging Hebrew thought and language by the rules of modern grammatical usage in English so I hope the following helps clear it up for you (unless you have gotten stuck in a thinking loop and unable to reason past this one passage to grasp all that is said…this is not meant to be insulting but having been there I know the problem personally)

See now how Jewish people understood these matters. The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume 4, page 475 gives us a perfect example

"A short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day."

Noah: In Genesis 7:4, God said to Noah, "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth." But in verse 10 we read, "And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth." The marginal reading expresses it in the literal Hebrew as "on the seventh day."

Pity the poor chronologer who tries to figure that one out! When did the flood come? In seven days? On the seventh day? Or after seven days? The answer is simple when the Hebrew inclusive reckoning is applied. The day on which God spoke to Noah counted as the first day, and the day on which it started raining was the seventh day. Even if God spoke just ten minutes before the end of that first day, it was still counted as one of the seven. And if it started raining at noon on the last day, it was also counted one of the seven.

Circumcision: The same principle is revealed in the circumcision of babies. Genesis 17:12 specifies "he that is eight days old." In our mind to be eight days old = after 8days (7 or even 7 and a 1/2) does not = 8) But Luke 1:59 reads "on the eighth day." Yet the same Luke 2:21 uses still another expression: "When eight days were accomplished." Yet this is ON the 8th day.

Joseph: Further proof for inclusive reckoning is seen in Joseph's dealing with his brethren. Genesis 42:17-19 says "He put them all together into ward three days. And Joseph said unto them on the third day, This do, and live; ... go ye. ..."

Taxes: Consider also the tax issue between King Rehoboam and the people. 2 Chronicles 10:5,12 says, "Come again unto me after three days. ... So ... all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day."

So if the crucifixion took place on Wednesday, how can we explain why the women waited until Sunday to come to the sepulcher (which would be on the 4th day since the crucifixion)? Did they not understand that on the fourth day His body would be decomposing and would smell, and their work of love would be in vain? The answers to these questions constitute the strongest case against a Wednesday crucifixion.

In view of the amazing weight of biblical evidence to the contrary, how can some still cling to the Wednesday crucifixion idea? The entire scheme is based upon the twisted interpretation of a single scripture text. The "three days and three nights" phrase is forced into artificial conformity with current English forms of speech, instead of the common usage of the people living at that time. Now let’s look further at the implication of this usage….

See Esther 4

15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,

16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and all of you fast for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days and three nights (some translations say “for three days; day and night)

She then says “I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

Now 5

5 Now it came to pass on the third day that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.

An Abandoned Egyptian. 1 Samuel 30:12 speaks of an abandoned Egyptian servant who "had not eaten bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights." The idiomatic usage of this expression is shown by the following verse, where the servant states that his master had left him behind "three days ago" (v. 13). If the "three days and three nights" were meant to be taken literally, then the servant when he arrives should have said that he had been left behind four days before.

Rabbinical Literature. Explicit examples for inclusive day reckoning are also found in Rabbinic literature. Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived about A.D. 100, stated: "A day and a night are an Onah [‘a portion of time’] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it." "It is in this light," writes Gerhard Dilling in the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, "that we are to understand Matthew 12:40."

Jewish Practice. The practice of inclusive day reckoning, according to The Jewish Encyclopedia, a standard Jewish reference work, is still in vogue among some Jews today. "In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning; a short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though on the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day."

Therefore we must interpret the one passage by the many not the many by the one. IF a literal 72 hours was meant, then Jesus rose ON the 4th day and all other passages were lies. The phrase is idiomatic as I have shown above. He was crucified on day one (after the evening time period of the Hebrew day Nisan 14) and rose on day three (before the dawn)…after the sabbaths (which began right after the sun went down)

15. Well the problem again is that Jesus said just as Jonah, so Jonah was in the belly of the great fish 3 days and nights, literally. So yeah, Jesus was literally in the belly of the earth 3 days and nights. And then AFTER that amount of time, He rose, and Mary didn't find out about it until much later.
  16. My two cents: 32 hours or 74 hours? Which one equals "three days and three nights"?

Thursday 8 Nisan - Jesus is anointed by Mary for His death, though she may not have known that
    John 12:3 “Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.”

Saturday 10 Nisan - Jesus has separated Himself from the people
    John 12:36 “While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.”
    Exodus 12:3 “Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:”
    Tuesday 13 Nisan - Jesus tells them to prepare the Passover meal. Think about Jesus’ ministry. He didn’t have a house to lay His head. Therefore, He prophesied, the Spirit prepared and they all celebrated the correct day of the Passover.
    Matthew 26:17Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?”

Wednesday 14 Nisan – The lamb is killed after sunset, and they have the Passover at the appropriate and correct time! They go to Gethsemane and Jesus is arrested. Jesus is tried early in the morning before dawn, brought before the people by Pilate at 6 am - Day of Preparation for the Pharisees' Passover. Jesus is crucified at 9 am, noon the sun is blackened until when Jesus gives up the ghost around 3 pm and is put into the tomb hastily because the sun is going to set within the next couple of hours and that starts the Passover Sabbath. The Lamb of God had been sacrificed just like all the lambs that very day for that night's Passover!

Thursday 15 Nisan - Feast of Unleavened Bread - bread without yeast [life] - because the Bread of Life had died!!! - High Sabbath according to the Pharisees; also the day the Pharisees asked to have the tomb sealed because they knew of the promise of His resurrection, but thought His disciples would steal the body.
    Matthew 27:62-63 “Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.”

Friday 16 Nisan - Feast of Harvest - then with a few hours to prepare for the Sabbath that starts at sunset
    Numbers 28:26 “Also in the day of the firstfruits, when ye bring a new meat offering unto the LORD, after your weeks be out, ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work:”
    Leviticus 23:10-12 “Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest: And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it. And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year for a burnt offering unto the LORD.”

Saturday 17 Nisan - Typical Weekly Sabbath - from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown using Western dating system.

Sunday 18 Nisan - the day Jesus is raised from the dead any time after sundown at the end of the Sabbath on Saturday night. Three days and three nights, Matthew 12:40, in the tomb. Mary and the others go to the tomb on the first day of the week, Sunday, and realize that Jesus is risen, Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1.
    Matthew 12:40 “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
    Matthew 28:1 “In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.”
    Mark 16:2 “And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.”
    Luke 24:1 “Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.”
    John 20:1 “The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.”

Luke 24:21 bears some attention. On the surface most erroneously count from Sunday back to Wednesday declaring “it’s four days!!” However, do not count to Wednesday, just count three days, which comes to Thursday. Since Jesus died around 3pm on Wednesday, some want to count Wednesday as part of the “three days”. Why count an entire day for just two to three hours? At sundown around 6pm, it’s Thursday. Finally, the verse states, “…since these things were done”, completed, finished, all done by sundown. I don’t see a problem adding a couple of hours to the three days and three nights count.

I guess what I really don't understand is why people demand to remain in tradition instead of the facts? The first Passover was also on a Wednesday night according to the scriptures.
    TheCurseOfTheRodain likes this.
  17. Here a table I made of this situation:

Juk, Cturtle, Siloam and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  18. Yes and notice that he said he would resurrect AFTER 3 days and 3 nights were fulfilled (He did not say WITH IN 3 days and 3 nights He would resurrect, but after...).
  19. Jesus was crucified precisely when the penalty for all me sins was paid;).
  20. τετελεσται is the word translated "It is finished" and that's what Google translate gives you too, but it's the word the Greek stamp on your bill when it's paid off!