Poll on hell

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KingJ, Oct 23, 2014.

?

What do you believe?

1. Universalism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Annihilation

17.6%
  3. Eternal torture

55.9%
  4. Eternal torment / limited suffering

26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WARNING: Soul Sleep is false doctrine and banned on this forum. Please cease immediately.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/topics-which-may-not-be-discussed.39785/

2. It is because man is simple that the metaphor for death is "sleep".

3. When our born again spirits leave our bodies, we stop breathing. Our spirits go immediately to heaven.

4. I thought so as well and was surprised even at the name of the thread........"Poll on Hell".

IMO the only reason why there are 3 people named is because they are the only ones who matter in the story.

Is Luke 16 a parabel??? NO!

Is the lake of fire isolation and torments eternally???? IMO, YES!

Psalm 9:17 WARNS...
    "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."

Now if "hell" only means the grave, then this Scripture makes absolutely no sense at all, because the righteous and the wicked would go to the SAME place. Why would God say that the wicked are going to Hell, if the righteous are going to the same place? Obviously, "hell" (Hebrew: Sheol) means much more.
    We can infer that the wicked are going to be punished in eternity. This is clearly evidenced by other Scriptures, such as Matthew 25:46.........
    "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

5. Genesis 2:7......
    "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,
    and man became a living soul".

Seems to me that is saying God gave man a physical , psychological and SPIRITUAL makeup. We have built into us the capacity to have a relationship with God because we are spirtual as is He. Is n't that what seperates us from everything else????

Euphemia likes this.
  6. Sheol is OT, Sheol is translated Hades in the NT. Both refer to "grave" or the "realm of the dead".

What are your thoughts on post 376.

Because it was only a story about the demise of the priesthood.

Deut 32:18-22 YLT The Rock that begat thee thou forgettest, And neglectest God who formeth thee. 19And Jehovah seeth and despiseth — For the provocation of His sons and His daughters. 20And He saith: I hide My face from them, I see what [is] their latter end; For a froward generation [are] they, Sons in whom is no stedfastness. 21They have made Me zealous by ‘no-god,’ They made Me angry by their vanities; And I make them zealous by ‘no-people,’ By a foolish nation I make them angry. 22For a fire hath been kindled in Mine anger, And it burneth unto Sheol — the lowest, And consumeth earth and its increase, And setteth on fire foundations of mountains.

The Priesthood - I'm thinking that he used Hades instead of Gehenna or the Lake of Fire, so we would make the distinction between the priesthood in this life vs. the afterlife. If Luke used Gehenna or the Lake of Fire, then we would be certain he was referring to the afterlife, but he didn't. So we know he was simply telling a story about the demise of the priesthood and has nothing to do with the afterlife. Luke could of wrote it like this, but he didn't......

Example 1: Verse 22-23 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Gehenna, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Example 2: Verse 22-23 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In the Lake of Fire, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Let's take a look at Luke 16:19 NIV “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day.

1. Purple is a color which is used in Scripture for the following: priestly garments (Ex 39:2, 24, 29); royal apparel (Judges 8:26; Esther 8:15); and is synonymous with wealth in Rev 18:16.
    2. Fine linen was used extensively in the priestly garments such as the ephod, robe, mitre, and bonnet. (Ex 39). Linen is used as a symbol of wealth in Rev 18:16.
    3. Only one class in Israel was habitually clothed in purple and linen and fared sumptuously every day4 - the High Priestly class of Sadducees.

Yes, let's all stop learning and asking questions about scripture. That is a no no.

What are your thoughts on post 376.

Again, why didn't Luke use Gehenna or the Lake of Fire in his story then? Since spirits are considered breath and wind, how does breath and wind have a finger and a tongue?

I believe he was using picture language similar too..

Dan 12:2 / Isa 66:24 SCRIPT

The "worms" are mentioned in connection with the dead bodies, because they hasten the decomposition and represent the ignominy of corpses deprived of burial (Jer 25:33; Is 14:11; Job 7:5; 17:14; Acts 12:23). The figure of the fire that is not quenched is used frequently in Scripture to signify a fire that consumes (Ezek 20:47-48) and reduces to nothing (Am 5:5-6; Matt 3:12).

The Hebrew term deraon translated "contempt" also appears in Isaiah 66:24 in which it is translated "loathsome". The image of an unquencheable fire is simply designed to convey the thought of being completely burned up or consumed. It has nothing to do with the everlasting punishment of immortal souls. The passage speaks clearly of "dead bodies" which are consumed and not of immortal souls which are tormented eternally.

Isa 66:24 NIV "And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome (deraon) to all mankind."

Dan 12:2 NIV Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt (deraon).

- ATP

7. Due to the poor behavior taking place in this thread in the past 3 or 4 pages, this thread is being halted at this point. If the original thread starter wishes to discuss options in re-opening this thread, please PM any Moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.