Playing Nice

Discussion in 'Important Things To Consider' started by revlynn, Oct 13, 2011.

1. There are two problems that prompted this thread initially. Probably more, if I thought about it some more, but two that I'm thinking of at the moment. Anyway, one problem is that it is rare to find someone who is able to correct another in a loving, gracious, respectful way. The second is that some people feel that any instance of someone else not agreeing with their viewpoint means they must be corrected. This attempt at correction often includes any or all of the following: a flat insistence that the other person is wrong, saying they are deceived, insisting that they are deliberately spreading false teaching, name calling, telling the other person their belief is silly, suggesting (or flat out telling them) that they are less spiritual/enlightened/educated/discerning/etc., and the list goes on. This is not loving correction. It is actually a form of bullying.

One of our most contentious topics is that of end-times scenarios. It's amazing the amount of bickering over things like pre/mid/post-trib rapture, which have been debated by learned men for ages. For some reason, people seem to find it impossible to state their views without insisting that other views are indefensible and unacceptable and that those who hold those views are spiritually, intellectually, or morally deficient. I don't think this is what Paul was talking about in the Scriptures above. Or, it applies in that the brother who is continually contentious is the one who needs to be corrected and, if he won't accept correction, is to be avoided. Not on the basis of his pet eschatalogical view, but on the basis of his behavior toward his brother.

2. That would fall under judging the poster as in condemning the believer and not correcting the error. Believers need to remember that the weight or the burden of the ministry is on God.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

That means we are not to argue the point even to those we deemed as snared by the devil, but the reproof towards the error should be known.

2 Timothy 2: 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
    In that regard, you can always refer the debaters to this post for the above correction and below, because the rapture doctrine is hidden.

Matthew 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
    Since it is hidden, believing or not believing in the rapture is NOT a requirement to attend the Marriage Supper, but abiding in His words is, so then the scripture below shall come to light with His help in how we are to correct one another in love, leaning on God to minister.

1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
    5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.