pancakes made with outdated mix

Discussion in 'Site Showcase' started by freedfromdestruction, May 4, 2007.

  1. pancakes made with outdated mix

    I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son,
    using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but
    ate them anyway
    About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his
    lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on
    the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and
    exhaling. My husband, a volunteer firefighter and EMT, heated up some
    water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear
    his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his
    lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of
    pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated.
    As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability
    to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an
    article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating
    pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old
    pancake mix can be toxic! When we told our friends about my son's close
    call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they
    should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they
    had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at
    warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your
    readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes.
    Also, beware of outdated cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

    PASS IT ON!!!!
    This is TRUE--Check it out! click on the link below.

Share This Page