Our Words Really Do Matter

Words are important, but even more important is what is really in our hearts, for it is from the abundance of our hearts that we speak. If our hearts are pure, filled with the Spirit, the love, joy, and peace of God then good flows from our hearts like a river through our words and actions. If however our hearts are filled with hate, bitterness, and selfishness, then it's best to keep our mouths shut because we only hurt others and sow destruction for our lives. So, bi filled with the Spirit of God!

So true Sherman . But if we are spirit filled Christians we would want to put only pure thoughts into our minds in order to glorify our Lord . If the Holy Spirit is convicting of us of stuff that is not edifying to the spirit , then don't do it . We have to be very careful what we fill our minds with .

If our hearts are filled with as you say hate , bitterness , and selfishness then the Holy Spirit cannot live there .

So true Sherman . But if we are spirit filled Christians we would want to put only pure thoughts into our minds in order to glorify our Lord . If the Holy Spirit is convicting of us of stuff that is not edifying to the spirit , then don't do it . We have to be very careful what we fill our minds with .

If our hearts are filled with as you say hate , bitterness , and selfishness then the Holy Spirit cannot live there .

I've found that the Lord will come wherever He is invited, though it be filthy. He gladly fellowshiped with publican and Pharisee alike (though the later was the most wicked). It's the presence of the Spirit in our lives that empowers us to repent from hatred, bitterness, selfishness, etc.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, perseverance, etc. And fruit takes time to grow and rippen. Yes what we say is important, what we choose to dwell upon is even more important, but the most important of all is our attitudes. Our attitudes are the ground from with the fruit of our words grow. And attitudes of pride and self-righteousness are the most destructive of all negative attitudes. (I'm certainly not implying this towards anyone in particular, only speaking rhetorically.)

Words are important, but even more important is what is really in our hearts, for it is from the abundance of our hearts that we speak. If our hearts are pure, filled with the Spirit, the love, joy, and peace of God then good flows from our hearts like a river through our words and actions. If however our hearts are filled with hate, bitterness, and selfishness, then it's best to keep our mouths shut because we only hurt others and sow destruction for our lives. So, bi filled with the Spirit of God!

Yes what ever our heart is full of is going to come out of our mouth. It doesn't take long talking to someone to see what condition their heart is in. So you're right about being filled with the Spirit. And we need to stay filled.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live

We can choose what to say and I choose to agree with God and say what He says. We will give account for every idle word we speak. Idle words do not produce anything good.

Matthew 12:36But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

That can sure cut down on our talking. So let’s choose the words we speak wisely

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, perseverance, etc. And fruit takes time to grow and rippen. Yes what we say is important, what we choose to dwell upon is even more important, but the most important of all is our attitudes. Our attitudes are the ground from with the fruit of our words grow. And attitudes of pride and self-righteousness are the most destructive of all negative attitudes. (I'm certainly not implying this towards anyone in particular, only speaking rhetorically.)

Great message , Sherman . Self righteousness and pride cannot live in our spirit if the fruit of the spirit has grown and ripened and I love that expression .... grown and ripen .

And yes definately our attitudes will change as the Holy Spirit works in our lives . I like to think that we are a work still in progress and that God is not finished with me yet.

And yes definately our attitudes will change as the Holy Spirit works in our lives . I like to think that we are a work still in progress and that God is not finished with me yet.

He's not finished with any of us yet. And when a person thinks he has arrived, that's when he can't be used of God effectively. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble

Luke 6:44For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. 45A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. 46And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say.

Jesus said what is in our heart will come out of our mouth. We need to make sure our heart is good and what we put in it is good. The Pharisees came to be baptized by John thinking they would escape the wrath of God by water baptism, but he said that was not so, it takes repentance. (Matthew 3:7-8)

Psalm 39:1I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Originally Posted by GodSpeaks
James 3:8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Proverbs 17:4A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips; and a liar giveth ear to a naughty tongue.

Proverbs 17:20He that hath a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue falleth into mischief.

Psalm 52:3Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. 4Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.

Psalm 12:2They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak. 3The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things

Psalm 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity

Psalm 52:3Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. 4Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.

What comes out of a person's mouth shows what is in their heart in abundance. And the things they speak can get them into alot of trouble. We cannot tame the tongues but if we yield our tongue to the Lord He can tame it. When we put right things in our heart good things will come out.

These verses show how our words can work for us or against us; how life and death and life are in the power of our tongue ( Proverbs 18:20)

Proverbs 10:31 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out

Proverbs 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
19The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Proverbs 15:12A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. 2The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

Proverbs 15:4A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Our words should be used for right and for good.

Job 27:4My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit

Psalm 119:172My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

Psalm 120:2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.

Really the only way to control it is give it to the Lord just like we yield everything else to him. Thats one the last things most people let the Lord control. And its easy to tell by how some talk.

GodSpeaks said:
God created the world and everything in it with His words. Several time in Genesis He spoke everything that is created into existence. A few are.
GodSpeaks said:
In Gen. 1:3
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
in verse 11
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass,
in verse 26
And God said, Let us make man in our image.

Speaking things into existence is a principle of God. He lives you and in me and his power flows through us because we were made in His image. When we let Him speak through us instead of just saying what our carnal mind can think of, what we say affects our life, those around us and our world.

Proverbs 18:19 A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled. 20Death and life are in the power of the tongue

Remember, whether good or bad, our words really do matter!

The Lord gave Adam authority over all He created.When we act on that authority, He will do great things.

I just watched a video and I have known many of God's children that has done what his man did and so have I .
http://www.godvine.com/

I can't find a way to copy a link to the video but on the right side search for this video where it says 'looking for something" go>.
Type in these words if its not on this page:

Man Rebukes Tornado in the Name of Jesus Christ

Ok , a quick story . I have a niece who was having a Birthday party for one of her kids and the weather forecast was saying rain and she wanted to have the party outside .

She prayed and commanded the rain not to fall on her party and it rained all around the yard but not in her yard .

I know we have the authority to do that but I am still not sure that I have the faith to believe that it will happen . I guess I am still a doubting Thomas . :smiley170:

Revelation 12:11 (NKJV)
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID OF WHAT YOU SAY

Back