OT law & New Testament giving

Tithing to the Church is not a law per say, but it is something good which we should do.

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:11 "If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?"

Tithing is not a law, nor is not tithing a sin. Tithe if the Lord compels you.

Where does it say there are three different tithes and various other forms of MANDATORY giving ?

Well, the first fruits offering is separate from the tithes, and is mandatory. I've already linked the scripture that demonstrates this. The temple tax was mandatory, Exodus 30:11-16, and it continued right through to Jesus' time, although the amount was altered (Mat 17). Also, since the tithes only provided the Levites with food, it was required that their other needs, like housing, be met outside of tithing: Numbers 35:1-3.

The three separate tithes are described as follows:
1. Num. 18: 21, 24
2. Deut. 14:22-27
3. Deut. 14:28, 29

But I hope you will agree that it is a good thing to question traditions, and see if they truly reflect Biblical teaching.

Asking a question and questioning are two different actions. OBTW thank you for the spelling correction. I have a bad habit of of writing except whenit shoould be accept...Thanks again.

Tithing to the Church is not a law per say, but it is something good which we should do.

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:11 "If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?"

Tithing is not a law, nor is not tithing a sin. Tithe if the Lord compels you.
Malachi 3:8
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Hello Great Fiction,
Perhaps it is best said this way. A person can over think things and try to disect things and even get caught up in deep understanding in a theologically out look on things OR They can simply Take what the Written Word Of God says and believe it and live by it.
Gods word is not something to get all caught up in theories or go about questioning it.

You as well as any one in this thread knows what the tithe stands for and that it is 10 percent.
One can either except this or not except it but the tithe and the 10 percent is NOT UP FOR DEBATE OR QUESTIONING. See we are called Believers Because we BELIEVE what God has said in His word....

There is nothing more that can be gained from this conversation and I think we all need to move on.....
None of us want to see any more threads closed because of heavy debating, Know what I mean ?

Have a very Blessed and wonderful Day
Jim

I cannot defy my own conscience positioned from my own studies, yet I will respectfully withhold any contention my friend: for my friendship with my brothers and sisters in Christ far outweigh the matter. I am your beneficiary.
Please know that I also pay tithes and respect the scriptural method of tithing.
God Bless

Well, the first fruits offering is separate from the tithes, and is mandatory. I've already linked the scripture that demonstrates this. The temple tax was mandatory, Exodus 30:11-16, and it continued right through to Jesus' time, although the amount was altered (Mat 17). Also, since the tithes only provided the Levites with food, it was required that their other needs, like housing, be met outside of tithing: Numbers 35:1-3.

The three separate tithes are described as follows:
1. Num. 18: 21, 24
2. Deut. 14:22-27
3. Deut. 14:28, 29

I do not see how num 18:21,24 is saying tithes owed to God
21 And behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

I cannot defy my own conscience positioned from my own studies, yet I will respectfully withhold any contention my friend: for my friendship with my brothers and sisters in Christ far outweigh the matter. I am your beneficiary.
Please know that I also pay tithes and respect the scriptural method of tithing.
God Bless

No contention on this side brother........ lol......

Thank you for your encouraging words, GF.

Tithe = tenth. That's the only reason. If one desires or is led by God to give alms or offerings, then that is not a tithe, but is in addition to the tenth, which belongs to God.

I tithe in my church a tenth and respect your position from scripture Euphemia. I believe the church functions properly because of tithing and my contention was not meant to be antagonistic to tithing itself or with you personally.

God bless you and with deep embedded kindness, please forgive me if I was too contentious. :)

In the OT, much more than a tenth belonged to God. Three tenths belonged to God. The first fruits offering belonged to God; it was mandatory giving, not optional. The temple tax belonged to God. Other required provisions for the Levites belonged to God. Where is the scripture that shows where only one tenth started belonging to God?

100% belongs to God, but He in His generosity desires 10%, which is exactly a tithe.

I tithe in my church a tenth and respect your position from scripture Euphemia. I believe the church functions properly because of tithing and my contention was not meant to be antagonistic to tithing itself or with you personally.

God bless you and with deep embedded kindness, please forgive me if I was too contentious. :)

No problem, Great Fiction!

100% belongs to God, but He in His generosity desires 10%, which is exactly a tithe.

Well in the OT, He in His generosity desired three 10%'s as well as other mandatory giving. Where is the scripture that shows that He started desiring only 10%?

I do not see how num 18:21,24 is saying tithes owed to God
21 And behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

That's an interesting observation! Of the three tithes, this is the one people usually reference to justify giving 10% of your income to your local church.

Give me a place in scripture where the apostles commanded tithes.
Have you ever heard about how people draw close to the Lord and pray and talk with Him ?
Perhaps they might be able to get it through to you that we are NOT forced to Give the tithe BUT it still belongs to God.

Those who love Him, will freely Honor Him with the tithes. The out come of either honoring God with the tithe or not honoring God with the tithe is still going to be the same however.
This is the best way I can reply to this..... : )

Have you ever heard about how people draw close to the Lord and pray and talk with Him ?
Perhaps they might be able to get it through to you that we are NOT forced to Give the tithe BUT it still belongs to God.

Those who love Him, will freely Honor Him with the tithes. The out come of either honoring God with the tithe or not honoring God with the tithe is still going to be the same however.
This is the best way I can reply to this..... : )
Yeah, and I agree.

Back