No yeast pita bread

No yeast pita bread

3 1/3 cups flour
2 t. Salt
3 t. Baking powder
1/3 cup of oil
1 1/3 cup of water

mix dry ingredients together, then add oil and water. Mix together till smooth. Let sit for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 525°
While oven is heating break a small amount of dough off (or can roll into a rectangle and use a pastry cutter to cut into an equal amount of pieces), and roll into a ball. Pat (flatten) both sides in a little flour and then begin to use your fingers to shape into a circle about 6inches wide. You want them to be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.

I bake them on the open rack because I have not figured out a good way to cook them so that they get enough heat on both sides and turn out fluffy. I cook them about 3 -4 minutes on each side. Flipping them with a pancake spatula.

Last edited:
No yeast pita bread

3 cups flour
2 t. Salt
3 t. Baking powder
1/3 cup of oil
1 1/3 cup of water

mix dry ingredients together, then add oil and water. Mix together till smooth. Let sit for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 525°
While oven is heating break a small amount of dough off (or can roll into a rectangle and use a pastry cutter to cut into an equal amount of pieces), and roll into a ball. Pat (flatten) both sides in a little flour and then begin to use your fingers to shape into a circle about 6inches wide. You want them to be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.

I bake them on the open rack because I have not figured out a good way to cook them so that they get enough heat on both sides and turn out fluffy. I cook them about 3 -4 minutes on each side. Flipping them with a pancake spatula.

Cturtle, you made a YouTube video just to show us how to properly shape the dough?! That is so sweet! :love: If I were able to cook in any capacity I'd love to try this recipe. (I guess I'll just go bug my mom to do it until she agrees) :ROFLMAO:

Cturtle, you made a YouTube video just to show us how to properly shape the dough?! That is so sweet! :love: If I were able to cook in any capacity I'd love to try this recipe. (I guess I'll just go bug my mom to do it until she agrees) :ROFLMAO:

Awe.. thanks for the encouragement. I kept thinking that my explaination on how to shape them would not click with some people. So I had Jim (fcj) film me shaping one :) He is such a great help!

Blessings to you
Hope your mom makes them for you.

No yeast pita bread

3 cups flour
2 t. Salt
3 t. Baking powder
1/3 cup of oil
1 1/3 cup of water

Preheat oven to 525°

Odd.... I can't see the video on Chrome or Safari...

But I copied the link :) Looks yummy! :D

Thanks so much for your kind words. We really enjoy them in place of bread sometimes. Have used them for open faced sandwiches or even regular sandwiches.

Can use any kind of flour (although we have not tried any nut flours) We have used whole wheat.. I like to mix whole wheat and unbleached when we have the wheat flour. But for the most part we just use unbleached. And i would imagine rye flour would be good also :)

Back