No confidence in the flesh

Philippians 3:
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation!

This was about circumcision, and those who wanted to require it of new Christian men. But now, I think we can all see the reference as a warning of what those in the gender change movement want for teens and even younger children to cause them to consider mutilating their bodies to somehow find peace for their confusion. If it wasn't ok to mutilate the body for salvation, I'm pretty sure it is not ok for gender dysphoria.

3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

Here we see even more, those who are "the circumcision", or God's people, are those who worship God in the Spirit and rejoice in Christ Jesus. Having no confidence in the flesh has to do with not ascribing changes to your body to have anything to do with pleasing God nor salvation. Don't take into account that changing your body structure will gain you anything to have peace, which comes from God. Peace will not be found by altering your body. This goes for weight loss as well. You won't have peace of mind just by losing weight. Get the peace from God and then control over your body's cravings can be achieved. It boils down to, does your body control you as a slave, or does the Holy Spirit make you free from the worries about looks, weight, gender, and any alterations of your body. Do not put your confidence in your body/flesh.

4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so:

Paul here lists things that he could be proud of or prove his worthiness, if we were to have confidence in the flesh, i.e. use what we do with our bodies as a proof of our good deeds and willingness to change our bodies to be right in other people's eyes.

5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee;
6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Listed are all the things the religious snobs of the day required for being considered a righteous child of God.

7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

All these things that he was taught by the religious snobs to do, changing the use of his body to do and be things that harmed God's people. These things also kept Paul from knowing Christ. Jesus had to have an intervention to teach Paul of this, that faith in Christ which is from God is what has real power over your body, brings you peace, and so powerful that Christ has power over death. Now that is something you should seek after.

Back