New Zealand

Yep, maori place names can be tricky. We learn to say them correctly or just mangle them in our bad kiwi english.

LOL. I guess it can be similar to how I can be with Welsh place names. The way some letters go is familiar, sometimes you've heard someone else say the name, etc. Dwygyfylchi (at least probably Anglicised a touch) isn't a problem to me.

It can be funny the way some English without my (as I've said before, not speaking and inexpert) experience of having lived there go about things. I'd have lived in "pie dew" for one I can think of.

Still I'm well capable of my own blunders, even in English...

Last edited:
Eek.
Would have no clue how to get my tongue around that.

Mispronunication of placenames is common in even in english.
southwark..well some people look at how its spelt and say..sowthwahk? .
When its meant to be like suthook.

All this does is entertain the angels.

Dwygyfylchi

Eek.
Would have no clue how to get my tongue around that.

Made very English but try "doog - u(u as in dug)- vul - ki"

To my ears, the dwy part is somewhere between "doo" and "dooey", leaning more towards the "doo".

The chi part needs the Welsh ch sound.

See:

Seeing happy birthday in one of the videos. When I was a kid in Wales, it was common to sing it twice once in English and once in Welsh. See:

Wow its soon, cant believe its August already.
Nothing much happens in august, there arent any holidays until Labour Day in October, and then daylight saving comes in and we put our clocks forward.

Wow its soon, cant believe its August already.
Nothing much happens in august, there arent any holidays until Labour Day in October, and then daylight saving comes in and we put our clocks forward.

Your seasons are different to mine. I find it hard to get round both different climates and people like you being "upside down". ;)

Where I am, they have just cut and baled the smaller section of field by the wood garden. I hope to be able to post a picture in the "Where You Live" (or similar) thread when the have the combine on the big field where the veg plot is. We'll see.

So it's a harvest time here. Only thing is none of my tomatoes have ripened yet...

For my own seasons and preferences, I like spring and autumn best. To me, they are the seasons of change. So say March, you are seeing new growth, snowdrops, etc. popping up. The end of September/October, the (deciduous ones anyway) are preparing for winter.

God's nature can be quite incredible.

Don't see many snowdrops in my part of the country as its not cold enough here to snow..the daffodils and jonquils are out though.

Don't see many snowdrops in my part of the country as its not cold enough here to snow..the daffodils and jonquils are out though.

Don't get much snow here really. It varies. Some years none.

Anyway as it is Spring for you, it gives me an excuse for me to baffle you further. And me I can't translate it and really just like it for the tune. I just know the song is something to do with Spring. Hmm, just found an English translation... The chorus is a nonsense line. The pictures in the video at the bottome are from Ireland - those strange words are Gaelic!

Nawr lanciau, rhoddwn glod
Mae’r gwanwyn wedi dod

Now lads, we give praise
The spring has arrived
The winter and coldness has passed
The trees will be wearing their leaves
And the fair warmth of the sun
And the lambs to frolic in the meadows.

We all praise cheerfully
Better times are coming
Ha-ha-lle-lu-jah
And after the bad weather