New Here And Can't Seem To Have That Relationship With Jesus That Others Speak About

It seems to be endemic to the human condition that we desire step by step instructions, repeatable processes, and rules. Sometimes I think that has more to do with our desire to break them than follow them, but it is one of those things we can examine throughout history. The Pharisees really did have a hard time understanding Jesus' message. They were corrupt, this is true, but the more honest of the Pharisees sought out Jesus and asked him for the 10 step program that they should follow. His answer always confounded them, even when they honestly sought out the truth.

The reason for this is that there is no step by step process. We all follow the same route to Heaven through Jesus, but it isn't always an identical journey. I would certainly never recommend the journey that I took for anyone as my road was paved with tears and heartbreak. I had to go the hard way. Your journey is a bit different. I don't know if you are looking for a particular feeling or emotional response, but our relationships are always defined by what we put into them, not so much by what we get out of them. If you feel that your relationship with Christ isn't what it should be, then I would think that you would just need to invest more of yourself into it.

I believe that there is more to a relationship with Jesus than salvation, yes.

My wife gets comforted by Him at times, and she gets answers to questions from Him. She has a relationship with Him that I can't seem to find and she does all the same things that I do.
Then its not in what your doing but in what you are believing. Do you think thats correct?

No, I do not think that is correct.

I do not think that the only thing we should be seeking in a relationship with Jesus is our salvation.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious we can't 'see the forest through the trees' if you will. If you are 100% that salvation is not the issue, then we are left with a 'doubt' being a problem. The way to fix that is through faith building. 'How do you do that'; you might ask? Well that's different for everybody. The Bible teaches that 'doubt' is of the enemy and also that we need to 'remember' the things that gave us our faith to begin with. Meditate on what Christ has done for you, think on the moment of your salvation, focus on the blessings the Lord has given you ('...count your many blessings, see what God has done...').

As the Spiritual leader of the home as the Husband; you are responsible and accountable for the spiritual life in the home. Sometimes God is quiet because something is missing; or He is allowing you to lead, or He is testing/ trying/ waiting for you to take some action...

Recipe for success: Worship, pray, read/ study your Bible, meditate on the Word, fast when necessary, fellowship with Bible believing Christians, seek good counsel, and repeat.

Read your favorite Gospel, 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious we can't 'see the forest through the trees' if you will. If you are 100% that salvation is not the issue, then we are left with a 'doubt' being a problem. The way to fix that is through faith building. 'How do you do that'; you might ask? Well that's different for everybody. The Bible teaches that 'doubt' is of the enemy and also that we need to 'remember' the things that gave us our faith to begin with. Meditate on what Christ has done for you, think on the moment of your salvation, focus on the blessings the Lord has given you ('...count your many blessings, see what God has done...').

As the Spiritual leader of the home as the Husband; you are responsible and accountable for the spiritual life in the home. Sometimes God is quiet because something is missing; or He is allowing you to lead, or He is testing/ trying/ waiting for you to take some action...

Recipe for success: Worship, pray, read/ study your Bible, meditate on the Word, fast when necessary, fellowship with Bible believing Christians, seek good counsel, and repeat.

Of course its doubt, its so simple when you put it that way.

I have done those things, except for fasting. I am unable to fast from food as I am hypoglycemic.

I have done those things, except for fasting. I am unable to fast from food as I am hypoglycemic.

'Fasting' isn't always about food alone:you could 'fast' from technology/ the influence of the world for a couple days. The point of fasting is 'starving' yourself from things that distract you from God. Quite often it is our own bodies and their condition that keep us from focusing on the Lord. Nowadays, we have so much we could 'fast' from with technology: gaming, internet forums, television, books (not the Bible), family issues, work environment, etc....

If something is taking more time than you are spending with the Lord-try going without. Do you have a good Bible believing Church home? Do you have a way to 'serve others' in the community?

Yes, we have a Bible believing Church home, but as I mentioned we haven't been able to attend in a few weeks and we're unable to attend this week as well because of the condition of our car. It needs brake work on the front and rear brakes, two rear wheel cylinders, a clutch and transmission work. Over $2,000 worth of repairs. We just do not have that much money at this time. It really needs more work than what I have mentioned. As it needs the rear main seal replaced and the timing belt replaced as well. This car has over 190,000 miles on it and is 18 years old.

The person who was going to buy it from us, is now unable to do so and as I mentioned, my wife cannot tolerate my mom's car since it has no A/C. With our church being 25 miles away and we're now in the midst of the Florida summer, it's just too hot for my wife and her multiple sclerosis.

I do help out my neighbors each week and when we do get back to church, I plan on serving with my wife in the nursery as I have been asked to do that.

I emailed our church with a request for help regarding our car problems, so I am hoping and praying that someone will help.

Why do you have to drive 25 miles to go to church? Is there no option for a closer church that you could attend temporarily until your situation changes? Sometimes I like to visit other churches just to get a fresh perspective/appreciation for my home church.

I have visited the other churches and I do not really like any of the other churches. Not to mention that I edited my last post to include what else the car needs. We're looking at over $3500 worth of work on her car when it's all said and done.

When I visited the other churches, I felt as though the Holy Spirit was telling me that I need to stay within my own church, that these churches are not where I/we belong.

Not only that, but my wife hates church hopping, even if it's temporarily. Until I found our church, we tried 4 other churches and she didn't like going from church to church trying to find "home" church. She has requested that we only stick with this one and she doesn't want to church hop.

Our church does put out a recording of the sermon, so my wife and I do listen to that.

Yes church attendance is a good thing; however, fellowship is living the life with other Christians. Does your Church visit you? Bus/ van route?

As I mentioned, I have emailed the church and asked for help. I know that they have a fund for helping it's church members as well as the community.

I am just waiting on a response back.

I have visited the other churches and I do not really like any of the other churches. Not to mention that I edited my last post to include what else the car needs. We're looking at over $3500 worth of work on her car when it's all said and done.

When I visited the other churches, I felt as though the Holy Spirit was telling me that I need to stay within my own church, that these churches are not where I/we belong.

Not only that, but my wife hates church hopping, even if it's temporarily. Until I found our church, we tried 4 other churches and she didn't like going from church to church trying to find "home" church. She has requested that we only stick with this one and she doesn't want to church hop.

Our church does put out a recording of the sermon, so my wife and I do listen to that.
Simple solution, have church at home....worked for the early church.

Back