1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Need recipe for Johnnie Cake

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Dusty, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Need recipe for Johnnie Cake

Otherwise , I guess is is called corn meal bread. If any of you southerners have one . I would appreciate it. Thanks
  2. This is the most authentic one I could find...personally, I just buy 2 boxes of JIFFY cornbread muffins, and instead of making cornmuffins, I mix both together and bake in a cast-iron pan that has been coated with lots of butter.

2 cups boiling water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup cornmeal

Slowly add the cornmeal to the boiling water and cook for five minutes. Add the sugar, butter and salt. Pour into a buttered ovenproof baking dish and finish cooking in the oven.

3. Thanks Kitsap girl.... I love corn meal and sometimes just make porrage with it.:) I use it instead of flour when doing fish or chicken or pork chops.
  4. I have a good Johnny cake recipe somewhere. I think it is still packed. :(:confused: My recipe fry's them on the stove in oil, similar to making a pancake. Then I make homemade apple sauce with them....... and put butter and applesauce on top of the Johnnycakes.
  5. That sounds good . My mouth is watering.;)