Need help with Luke 23:43

You can search the scriptures for yourself.

Jesus was crucified during Passover, and He ascended 10 days before Pentecost, according to scripture. Therefore, He remained in His resurrected body on earth for 40 days.

Acts 1:3
During the forty days after he suffered and died, he appeared to the apostles from time to time, and he proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive. And he talked to them about the Kingdom of God.
Dope, I stand corrected.

Hello Cturtle and I hope you are well. Yes I've maybe been a bit lazy on my response, I really should have said Spirit and Soul to Paradise with the physical body going to the ground. I believe that man is a being made up of three elements; spirit, soul and body () with two natures; The Holy Spirit of God in which there is no darkness and the flesh in which dwells no good thing. I will be a little more descriptive in the future. Peace and blessings x

God bless you! I fully agree with you! Thank you for taking the time to be thorough and explain. Its very refreshing to see humility and not a rude know it all attitude.

Blessings to you and your family in abundance!

Eph 4:7. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.
Eph 4:8. Therefore it says, "When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men."
Eph 4:9 . (In saying, "He ascended," what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth?
Eph 4:10. He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)
A reasonable question that might be asked by anyone interested in pursuing the matter could be:
"At what time were the (freed) host of hostages led on high?" cf Psalm 68:18.
At the time of the Resurrection or maybe "this day"? (the day of preparation)
When He was taken up in a cloud? Acts 1:9
The resurrected Jesus seems to come and go a lot during the forty days prior to Acts 1:9....where might he have gone?

Just another thought. Why would Jesus say today in the second sense? Are there other scriptures where Jesus talks like that? ''This hour I tell you..... to go and tell nobody that I healed you'' Matt 8:4 :giggle:.

People who believe we will not be in heaven interpret it the second way.
Hi @KingJ,

I believe that my hope is a heavenly one. However, I also believe I will enter into that heavenly hope at resurrection and not when the body goes back to the dust from whence it came and the spirit goes back to God Who gave it. Praise God!

Luke 23:43, 'Verily, I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise' - Is wrongly punctuated. It should be, 'Verily, I say unto thee today ...' ( ... on this day, when all seems lost, and there is no hope; this day, when instead of reigning I am about to die. This day, I say to thee, 'Thou shalt be with me in paradise.').

The words,
'I say unto thee this day' was the common Hebrew idiom for emphasising the occasion of making a solemn statement. and is used in Scripture on several occasions, e.g.,:-

'I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day,
that ye shall soon utterly perish
from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it;
ye shall not prolong your days upon it,
but shall utterly be destroyed.'

(Deu 4:26)

'And he said unto them,
Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day,
which ye shall command your children to observe to do,
all the words of this law.'

(Deu 32:46)

The word paradise is not referring to the heaven above, but to the Edenic paradise regained during the millennial reign.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
God bless you! I fully agree with you! Thank you for taking the time to be thorough and explain. Its very refreshing to see humility and not a rude know it all attitude.

Blessings to you and your family in abundance!

Aw thanks so much Cturtle, I knew instantly how loving and caring a Christian you are and even more so since you gave me those anointed words from the Lord. As the Lord says, You'll know them (True Christians) by their fruit x Bless you from Scotland....

Hi @KingJ,

I believe that my hope is a heavenly one. However, I also believe I will enter into that heavenly hope at resurrection and not when the body goes back to the dust from whence it came and the spirit goes back to God Who gave it. Praise God!

Luke 23:43, 'Verily, I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise' - Is wrongly punctuated. It should be, 'Verily, I say unto thee today ...' ( ... on this day, when all seems lost, and there is no hope; this day, when instead of reigning I am about to die. This day, I say to thee, 'Thou shalt be with me in paradise.').

The words,
'I say unto thee this day' was the common Hebrew idiom for emphasising the occasion of making a solemn statement. and is used in Scripture on several occasions, e.g.,:-

'I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day,
that ye shall soon utterly perish
from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it;
ye shall not prolong your days upon it,
but shall utterly be destroyed.'

(Deu 4:26)

'And he said unto them,
Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day,
which ye shall command your children to observe to do,
all the words of this law.'

(Deu 32:46)

The word paradise is not referring to the heaven above, but to the Edenic paradise regained during the millennial reign.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Chris........isn't the Promised Land (Edenic Paradise) what God promised Abraham and "his" descendants?

Eph 4:7. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.
Eph 4:8. Therefore it says, "When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men."
Eph 4:9 . (In saying, "He ascended," what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth?
Eph 4:10. He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)
A reasonable question that might be asked by anyone interested in pursuing the matter could be:
"At what time were the (freed) host of hostages led on high?" cf Psalm 68:18.
At the time of the Resurrection or maybe "this day"? (the day of preparation)
When He was taken up in a cloud? Acts 1:9
The resurrected Jesus seems to come and go a lot during the forty days prior to Acts 1:9....where might he have gone?

Amen!

Paradise is where those in God died (i.e. OT saints - see Samuel's conversation via the witch) and went to before Jesus went to heaven as the First-fruit. Paradise is where Jesus went to preach to the captives the Good News for 3 days and 3 nights. Paradise is no longer our destination at death. Paradise was spelled out by Jesus in Luke 6 and told to the thief on the cross. Today, according to Paul, when we die, we go to be where Jesus is and He is no longer in Paradise but at the right-hand of the Father in Heaven. Y'all gotta do your homework. :D

Interesting theory with His ascension. I disagree though. He ascended in Mark 16:19 after all His encounters with them. I think Mary was like a typical lady, just being too 'clingy' :giggle:. Euphemia is making an assumption that Jesus was with them for weeks before His ascension. There is no scripture for it. She may be right, but she needs to state it is an assumption.

Your line in post # 10 stands. God the Father was in heaven. He is spirit. God the son (as the word became flesh) was on the cross with the criminal.

Just thinking, this could also be a 'no time' in heaven statement. Today is yesterday and tomorrow in heaven.

Yes i agree that He accended in Mark 16:19
God bless

Paradise is where those in God died (i.e. OT saints - see Samuel's conversation via the witch) and went to before Jesus went to heaven as the First-fruit. Paradise is where Jesus went to preach to the captives the Good News for 3 days and 3 nights. Paradise is no longer our destination at death. Paradise was spelled out by Jesus in Luke 6 and told to the thief on the cross. Today, according to Paul, when we die, we go to be where Jesus is and He is no longer in Paradise but at the right-hand of the Father in Heaven. Y'all gotta do your homework. :D

Yep!

Back