Music in Worship

Hi,

Certainly music was made to serve a holy purpose, perhaps to lift the thoughts and emotions to what is pure and noble, to waken gratitude towards our loving Creator.

Personally I love all sorts of music with many and various instruments. Some of my most heart stirring moments have come at the hands of beautiful music. However, we must not be enticed to think that the world’s music that can often sound extremely loud, harsh and discordant can be the music of the church. Paul says, "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace."

The words of music, one Pastor expressed to me, “can be” more important than the sermon itself. If all one hears is the harsh and discordant instruments and not the congregation singing the words, then is it gratification to God or self-gratification? Has the enemy of all righteousness been successful in bringing the world’s music into the church itself? He certainly has.

We need to know that when many of the young people leave the congregation, they will take the witness of that particular church’s music. If it’s extremely harsh, loud, rock and roll “Christian” music, they will gladly listen to the rock and roll of the world, since after all, it was really not about the “words” but the harsh and discordant instruments, and those words will be brought into their subconscious.

I grew up as a teenager, pre-conversion, listening to extremely loud rock and roll, only in it for the harsh beat and twanging guitars, so I do not speak in ignorance regarding the subject.

Immediately after conversion, I had no more interest in the confusing sounds of total “emotionalism.” Yes, I love the emotion music brings to the soul, but there is a great difference between emotionalism and emotion. One is simply to satisfy the lusts of the flesh (self-gratification), the other is the Spirit of God working the heart.

Just because a whole congregation is jumping up and down, raising their hands, lifting their heads to heaven, does not necessarily mean it’s the Spirit of God. On the other hand, the opposite is true, those murmuring words of song in a non-emotional doom and gloom attitude are not necessarily praising God either. I cannot judge, only God can know the individual heart.

Quote:

“The history of the songs of the Bible is full of suggestion as to the uses and benefits of music and song. Music is often perverted to serve purposes of evil, and it thus becomes one of the most alluring agencies of temptation. But, rightly employed, it is a precious gift of God, designed to uplift the thoughts to high and noble themes, to inspire and elevate the soul.

As the children of Israel, journeying through the wilderness, cheered their way by the music of sacred song, so God bids His children today gladden their pilgrim life. There are few means more effective for fixing His words in the memory than repeating them in song.” ...

There are few means more effective for fixing His words in the memory than repeating them in song. And such song has wonderful power. It has power to quicken thought and to awaken sympathy, to promote harmony of action, and to banish the gloom and foreboding that destroy courage and weaken effort. ...

The value of song as a means of education should never be lost sight of. Let there be singing in the home, of songs that are sweet and pure, and there will be fewer words of censure and more of cheerfulness and hope and joy. Let there be singing in the school, and the pupils will be drawn closer to God, to their teachers, and to one another.

As a part of religious service, singing is as much an act of worship as is prayer. Indeed, many a song is prayer. If the child is taught to realize this, he will think more of the meaning of the words he sings and will be more susceptible to their power. End Quote

blessings in Christ,
John

Back