Moabite Stone - Extra Biblical Sources

I thought I might go through some of the extra Biblical sources which corroborates the Biblical record.

The first is Omri. He was the sixth king of Northern Israel and father of Ahab. The Bible records his ascent to the throne in 1 King 16:21-28, after that little else is recorded about him. The second is Mesha king of Moab.
Mesha Stele.gifScreen Shot 2024-01-15 at 11.09.52 AM.png

(1) Outside the Bible the Moabite Stone (i.e. Mesha Stela) records Omri's subjugation over Moab (under Mesha's father), and Mesha's rebellion against Joram.

The relevant potion of the inscription read:

"Omri was king of Israel, and oppressed Moab during many days, and Chemosh was angry with his aggressions. His son succeeded him, and he also said, I will oppress Moab. In my days he said, Let us go, and I will see my desire upon him and his house, and Israel said, I shall destroy it for ever. Now Omri took the land of Madeba, and occupied it in his day, and in the days of his son, forty years. And Chemosh had mercy on it in my time. And I built Baal-meon and made therein the ditch, and I built Kiriathaim."

This is the same King Mesha found in 2 Kings 3. (whole chapter).

"Now Mesha king of Moab raised sheep, and he had to pay the king of Israel a tribute of a hundred thousand lambs and the wool of a hundred thousand rams. But after Ahab died, the king of Moab rebelled against the king of Israel. So at that time King Joram set out from Samaria and mobilized all Israel. He also sent this message to Jehoshaphat king of Judah:

'The king of Moab has rebelled against me. Will you go with me to fight against Moab?'

'I will go with you,' he replied. 'I am as you are, my people as your people, my horses as your horses.'”

Several translation of the Moabite Stone can be found on the net, if you want to read the whole stela.

(2) Below I have underlined some key names.
Blue - the name "Mesha" (king of Moab)
Orange - the name "Omri" (king of Israel) The last letter of Omri's name is carried over to the next line.
Purple - "Israel"
Red - the divine name "YHWH"
Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 6.46.29 PM.png

There is one last point I would like to note about the inscription. Please note line 31
Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 11.59.36 AM.png
(3) That could be a reference to the "House of David." If the reading "House of David" is correct, it is only the second time this phrase (so far) has been found outside the Bible.

This section of the Mesha Stela's inscription is very damage and difficult to read. There are scholars who come down on both side of the issue.

See blueskies thread on the Tell Dan inscription (i.e. House of David).

I thought I might go through some of the extra Biblical sources which corroborates the Biblical record.
This is a very interesting read. I enjoyed going over this discovery again, refreshing my memory, and learning some information that escaped me before.

Thank you Origen for putting this together and posting it to the forum.

Back