Many Will Say "lord, Lord..."

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ Matthew 7:21-23

What is everyone's interpretation of these verses and who is Jesus referring to specifically? Please be specific.

Hi Allie. I like to quote James 1:27 in contrast with this verse. Would Jesus say 'I don't know you' to those that in His name helped widows and orphans in their affliction?' I don't think so. Some actions speak of vanity and others selflessness. I am also reminded of ''If you feed the least of these (the Jews in the tribulation) you are feeding God'' in Matt 25.

Imagine two people at church sharing their testimonies. The one stands up and says 'my testimony to share this weekend is that ...''I cast demons out of two people'' = Congregation applauds and praises him...this great man of God. Then the other guy stands and says ''I changed an old lady's light bulb.....'' = congregation looks on in bewilderment...uncertain if they should applaud. Meanwhile in reality the first guy = A monkey who harassed demons and the second guy = he changed God's light bulb.

I guess a point which both of us will never agree with each other :) This goes hand in hand with election.. Because what I would ask is, can a person leave from Grace of God.. Your response is yes and my response is no.. Because for me, it is God who brought that person into God.. Can man undo what God has done.. No is the answer for me.. And for you, man can leave grace because he had a part in first coming into Grace of God.. Which was his or her response to the invitation from God.. Both of us will show scripture for this (with different interpretations).. We will debate decently for some time and finally start insulting each other because we cannot persuade each other :) So I think it is better I stop arguing now itself! LOL!!
Look Rav...I basically defend the OSAS view..but I cannot ignore the warnings of scripture.. "ye have fallen from grace" means that at one time, these believers were in the true grace of God. So those who hold the OSAS view, do so based upon the absolute promises of God they see and believe as they read His Word. I also believe they are absolute, BECAUSE they are not based upon us but based upon Gods ability to keep us in the power of His Grace. Now just as much as I believe these promises, I also believe the warnings of the scriptures. Both are 100% true and one cannot put aside one without considering the other.

Last edited:
“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ Matthew 7:21-23

What is everyone's interpretation of these verses and who is Jesus referring to specifically? Please be specific.

[for me anyway] Christ is exactly speaking with us professing Christians, because simply we are the only ones in the world who call Him Lord, Lord, the Jews don't, the Muslims don't; but only us. This warning from the Lord He tells us plain and simple, and we are without excuse if we do not listen to Him.

Lu 14:16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.
19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.
20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.
22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.
23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

Lu 14:16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.
19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.
20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.
22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.
23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.
Be sure that on the that Great Day..many will say Lord.. Lord but they have rejected the Table of the Lord, they have made a table for themselves fill with all covetousness, greed and hypocrisy. Many "claim" to cast out devils and to be prophets..its in every religious group.

Lu 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Hi Allie. I like to quote James 1:27 in contrast with this verse. Would Jesus say 'I don't know you' to those that in His name helped widows and orphans in their affliction?' I don't think so. Some actions speak of vanity and others selflessness. I am also reminded of ''If you feed the least of these (the Jews in the tribulation) you are feeding God'' in Matt 25.
Imagine two people at church sharing their testimonies. The one stands up and says 'my testimony to share this weekend is that ...''I cast demons out of two people'' = Congregation applauds and praises him...this great man of God. Then the other guy stands and says ''I changed an old lady's light bulb.....'' = congregation looks on in bewilderment...uncertain if they should applaud. Meanwhile in reality the first guy = A monkey who harassed demons and the second guy = he changed God's light bulb.

Beloved, some people might be in awe at the one who cast out demons, and might might seem a light thing (no pun intended) of the person who changed the light bulb. But, if true, were all three person "helped"? All three were defenseless, and in need of help, not so? But it is the last portion of James 1:27 _ that is most important: "...and to keep himself unspotted from the world." If a sinner helps change a light bulb, that is good; but if a man keeps himself from sin and helps change a light bulb, that's better.

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. (2 Corinthians 4:5 NASB)

For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:17 NASB)

Being nice to mitzpah by agreeing to false doctrine? If you look back at my first response it was very nice...I really had to dig down deep to do it. Because deep inside I realize that what mitzpah is really saying is that Jesus didn't say "it's paid in full" but rather "I made down payment" for my sins. That's a disgusting thing to do, and if he or she is not able to see that's what he believes, he is guilty of intellectual dishonesty. Go back , have a look.

Being nice to mitzpah by agreeing to false doctrine? If you look back at my first response it was very nice...I really had to dig down deep to do it. Because deep inside I realize that what mitzpah is really saying is that Jesus didn't say "it's paid in full" but rather "I made down payment" for my sins. That's a disgusting thing to do, and if he or she is not able to see that's what he believes, he is guilty of intellectual dishonesty. Go back , have a look.

Perhaps the problem is only English 101, Beloved. Some people just don't know how to make an outline of their beliefs for clarity
and to impart/share their doctrine...and stick to the outline. I have heard some very eloquent men (well, good vocabulary) begin
a sermon on one subject, and wander off into the wild blue yonder...where no one knows or even remember what was said.

Incidentally, I like your picture on the place where the avatar should ought to be: you are a very brave (albeit happy) man...you are a man, right?

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. (2 Corinthians 4:5 NASB)

For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:17 NASB)

Here are you words from your comment in #203.........

"Here's what Paul would have you do in regard to my teasin' and dissin'.
First, I knew you would never listen to my OSAS view any more than I would listen to yours so I badgered instead. You can't handle that? Too bad. Romans 15:1-5 put that in your pipe and smoke it.
There is nothing you could say or do to cause me to want you to suffer in any way. I own your criticisms, I resemble your remarks.

When I read words said like that and then I read words like posted above in comment #228, those wonderful words written by Paul lose all of their value and purpose.

You are breaking the set rules of this site and are admitting it in your own words.....
"so I badgered instead. You can't handle that? Too bad. Romans 15:1-5 put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Now why don't you begin fresh and try and show respect to all members here and allow the love of Christ to be see in your actions and your words so that we all can get along????

Here are you words from your comment in #203.........

"Here's what Paul would have you do in regard to my teasin' and dissin'.
First, I knew you would never listen to my OSAS view any more than I would listen to yours so I badgered instead. You can't handle that? Too bad. Romans 15:1-5 put that in your pipe and smoke it.
There is nothing you could say or do to cause me to want you to suffer in any way. I own your criticisms, I resemble your remarks.

When I read words said like that and then I read words like posted above in comment #228, those wonderful words written by Paul lose all of their value and purpose.

You are breaking the set rules of this site and are admitting it in your own words.....
"so I badgered instead. You can't handle that? Too bad. Romans 15:1-5 put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Now why don't you begin fresh and try and show respect to all members here and allow the love of Christ to be see in your actions and your words so that we all can get along????
Sure. I'm sorry.

Whether that is the truth or not, I do not know because I am not going to look it up. You brought it up so you needed to do the work. Had YOU gone to the trouble of posting the comment #, I would have read it.

But that is not really the question is it?? There is an accepted way to discuss any differences that we may have. BADGERING someone is NOT one of those ways. Friendly discussion with the heart of Christ is the way to make friends my brother, not the way you choose to do it.

So are you saying this is directed to "lukewarm" Christians?

Because lukewarm Christians don't usually try and cast out demons or prophecize (<----not a word lol)

Sorry just trying to understand .

that spirit of asking the question is what we should be doing (imo)
i think when you said lukewarm christian don't cast out demons
is getting us closer to the meaning

imo ---good job

Some will Say. "Lord, Lord..."

Everyone seems to be missing the point. The keys words here are "...I never knew you...".

"And Adam knew Eve and she conceived...". Now the Apostle Paul would speak to us: "Husbands, love your wives even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave Himself for it...". The Lord Jesus gave Himself for us: and he expects them that believe to also give themselves over to Him. Do you not remember your vows to your husband/wife: "...until death you do part"? Did you not promise to give yourselves ...for richer or for poorer; in sickness and in health..."? I hope I am making the scriptures clear.

Well, those people who said, "Lord, Lord...", never gave themselves to the Lord (although He had given Himself for the Church).
But they were never a part of the Church; hence, not even "lukewarm christians"!
Why not, Mr. Villa? They were like the young girl who had many young men who courted her. She loved the attention, and the idea that they loved her: and she only loved them from her teeth out, but not from her heart.
So now she is before the Lord, and she sees the True Love: how the Lord has given Himself completely: how she has even received the Holy Spirit to keep her in His ways. She proclaims her love for Him, calling Him Lord (even as Sarah called Abraham Lord). But the Lord says, "I never knew you." She never developed the intimacy required in a marriage.

Upon repentance, we have confessed our sinful ways and acknowledged His righteousness. That did not save us: repentance alone cannot save: "Except a an be born/conceived from God, he cannot see...". The Israelites saw the Promised Land, but did not enter in because of unbelief. They crossed the Red Sea, but griped and complained all the way to the Jordan River. You see, repentance only does not save; baptism only, does not save; it takes the death (repentance); burial )(baptism for the remission of sins); and the resurrection (receiving the Holy Spirit), to save us. The people that cried "Lord, Lord...", rejected one of those truths, and thus were not married to the Lord. Therefore, only the five wise virgins celebrated the marriage feast.

Some will Say. "Lord, Lord..."

Everyone seems to be missing the point. The keys words here are "...I never knew you...".

Well, those people who said, "Lord, Lord...", never gave themselves to the Lord (although He had given Himself for the Church).
But they were never a part of the Church; hence, not even "lukewarm christians"!

thou I disagree a bit ; I think this is close
but what you posted below brings out the point

Why not, Mr. Villa? They were like the young girl who had many young men who courted her. She loved the attention, and the idea that they loved her: and she only loved them from her teeth out, but not from her heart.
So now she is before the Lord, and she sees the True Love: how the Lord has given Himself completely: how she has even received the Holy Spirit to keep her in His ways. She proclaims her love for Him, calling Him Lord (even as Sarah called Abraham Lord). But the Lord says, "I never knew you." She never developed the intimacy required in a marriage.

instead of marriage ; I would say "family"

these who cast out demons ; never became "family"
"family" is known
"family" has that intimacy you are speaking of
Jesus came "to make" children of God --{or family
}

just adding in some thoughts

Back