Luke 4:13

And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ KJV)
When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NASB)
When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NLT)
When was the next opportunity? Was it Gethsemane or Calvary? Possibly when He rebuked Peter causing Jesus to say "Get behind me Satan." Can anyone shed some light on this question?

And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ KJV)
When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NASB)
When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came. (‭Luke‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NLT)
When was the next opportunity? Was it Gethsemane or Calvary? Possibly when He rebuked Peter causing Jesus to say "Get behind me Satan." Can anyone shed some light on this question?
Luke 22:53 (KJV)
When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

John 14:30 (KJV)
Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

I love this last verse! Jesus wouldn't let the devil plant anything in the garden of His heart, so the devil had nothing in Him to use against Him!

Those words were only recorded by Luke, and it does seem to me that they indicate the idea that Satan had it in his mind to attack Christ again and again. It would seem to sit his plan as He had been trying to keep Jesus from being incarnated for a few thousand years. Now that He had failed to do that IMO His plan was to keep Jesus from going to the cross.

It would be IMO the reason why Matthew and Mark then tell us that the angels came to Christ at this point.

Hebrews 4:15 NASB
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

It says here Jesus was tempted in all things. What are these tempatations? 1 John 2:16 describes these temptations and there are three of them.

1 John 2:16 NASB
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.

Jesus was tempted in all these areas throughout his ministry. I believe the one goal satan had was to cause Jesus to sin. If he would have accomplished this then going to the Cross would have been for nothing.

Hebrews 4:15 NASB
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

It says here Jesus was tempted in all things. What are these tempatations? 1 John 2:16 describes these temptations and there are three of them.

1 John 2:16 NASB
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.

Jesus was tempted in all these areas throughout his ministry. I believe the one goal satan had was to cause Jesus to sin. If he would have accomplished this then going to the Cross would have been for nothing.

That is true as well. If he could not keep Jesus from the cross, he may have wanted His sacrifice to be in vain. Good point!

A question from me is, did Satan understand why Jesus became human and that the cross was the vehicle for redemption? Or did Satan think by killing Him on the cross, he had some sort of victory over Jesus? Because Satan was influencing Judas to betray Him. Why help with the betrayal if he knew this would lead to salvation on the cross and resurrection? I think maybe Satan was thinking Jesus was to soon set up His kingdom here on earth and knew little about how Jesus would redeem mankind.

A question from me is, did Satan understand why Jesus became human and that the cross was the vehicle for redemption? Or did Satan think by killing Him on the cross, he had some sort of victory over Jesus? Because Satan was influencing Judas to betray Him. Why help with the betrayal if he knew this would lead to salvation on the cross and resurrection? I think maybe Satan was thinking Jesus was to soon set up His kingdom here on earth and knew little about how Jesus would redeem mankind.
Not according to the makers of "The Passion of The Christ." Satan looked pretty teed off.

G
Took this from Gill's exposition. A nice read.

And when the devil had ended all the temptation,.... Or "all his temptations", as the Syriac version reads; not only the last mentioned, but all the rest, whether inward or outward, in a visible or in an invisible manner; whether during his forty days fast, or after he was an hungered, when he had tried every way, and all sorts of temptations with him; and when he had done this, "in", or "with all his power", as the Ethiopic version reads; "when he had done his utmost", and his best; and as the Persic version adds, "and profited nothing"; could not succeed, or get any advantage over him:
he departed from him for a season; till another opportunity should offer, or till that time should come, when would be the hour and power of darkness; and by means of one of his disciples, he should bruise his heel, and bring him to an accursed death; John 14:30.

Back