Luke 1:1-4 (first in a series)

Luke 1:1-4 Devotion
Luke was a Greek physician and a companion of Paul on some of his missionary journeys. He also wrote the book of Acts, which is a companion to his Gospel.

Luke was the only Gentile writer of the Bible and was probably not an eyewitness of Jesus’ life and ministry, but depended on testimony from eyewitnesses. Nevertheless, he was very thorough and dilligent in his work, and of course was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Lukes Gospel was addressed to "Theophilus", whose name means"friend of God". I am uncertain who this was, but what an awesome blessing that we can be called friends of God. (John 15:14-15)

It has been said that…

Matthew emphasizes Jesus as Messiah and King.
Mark, Christ as Servant.
Luke emphasizes Jesus’ humanity.
John emphasizes Jesus diety.

While John emphasises Jesus' Deity, Luke emphasises His TRUE HUMANITY. I think it was important for both Jesus' Humanity and His Deity to be clearly set forth because there would later be false teachers who would deny one or the other- one side would deny Jesus' Divinity, ( Arians) and the other side would deny His True Humanity, ( Gnostics, Docetists). The Gospels show Jesus as fully God and Fully man in one person. Jesus had to be both human and Diety in order to provide salvation for humanity. Luke also speaks much about salvation and redemption in Christ.

One of the things I really like about Luke is that it has several parables not found elsewhere in the Bible. Luke 15 is one of my favorite chapters of the Bible. The parables of the Lost Sheep, lost Coin, and Prodigal son reminds me of the day that Jesus, the Bishop and Shepherd of my soul brought me back into His fold.

Last edited:
Luke 1:1-4 Devotion
Luke was a Greek physician and a companion of Paul on some of his missionary journeys. He also wrote the book of Acts, which is a companion to his Gospel.

Luke was the only Gentile writer of the Bible and was probably not an eyewitness of Jesus’ life and ministry, but depended on testimony from eyewitnesses. Nevertheless, he was very thorough and dilligent in his work, and of course was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Lukes Gospel was addressed to "Theophilus", whose name means"friend of God". I am uncertain who this was, but what an awesome blessing that we can be called friends of God. (John 15:14-15)

It has been said that…

Matthew emphasizes Jesus as Messiah and King.
Mark, Christ as Servant.
Luke emphasizes Jesus’ humanity.
John emphasizes Jesus diety.

While John emphasises Jesus' Deity, Luke emphasises His TRUE HUMANITY. I think it was important for both Jesus' Humanity and His Deity to be clearly set forth because there would later be false teachers who would deny one or the other- one side would deny Jesus' Divinity, ( Arians) and the other side would deny His True Humanity, ( Gnostics, Docetists). The Gospels show Jesus as fully God and Fully man in one person. Jesus had to be both human and Diety in order to provide salvation for humanity. Luke also speaks much about salvation and redemption in Christ.

One of the things I really like about Luke is that it has several parables not found elsewhere in the Bible. Luke 15 is one of my favorite chapters of the Bible. The parables of the Lost Sheep, lost Coin, and Prodigal son reminds me of the day that Jesus, the Bishop and Shepherd of my soul brought me back into His fold.
This opening to Theophilus makes me think of all the stories of the actual events with Jesus that these eyewitnesses who had walked and talked with Jesus would have shared after Pentecost. Even decades later, the desire to hear about the Savior must have been intense.

Back