Love Among People -- What Isn't It? What Is It?

If Jack loves Jill but Jill wants nothing to do with Jack, Jack cannot force Jill to love him. And if Jack means what he says, then he will love her enough to leave her alone because that is what she has decided.

Those who go to hell are not put there against their will -- they have made a decision not to accept God. And God loves them enough to not force them into His presence since that is what they don't want.

Unconditional love.

You said it best LS. I would only say that God keeps giving us opportunity to understand our wrong choices and turn around. To Lucas I would say reread the Prodigal Son.

Jesus said, "I can of my own self do nothing" ( John 5:30 ) , and then Jesus also said, "without me you can do nothing." ( John 15:5 )
We can not love anyone on our own, even Jesus could not do that. Only God himself can love another, because only "God is Love" ( 1 John 4:8 )
1Co 13:4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
1Co 13:5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
1Co 13:6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.
1Co 13:7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will

Only God never ends. These are not our works, but God's work in which he performs through us.
Loving someone is the work of God in us to another.

Last edited:
If I sit in a prison cell, was it the police or the warden that put me there? Or was it something I did? If you are a parent, did you let your kid play on a freeway? C'mon. What exactly do you see as love? Love is not about sitting by when someone you claim to love entangles themselves in self-destruction. Or worse, join them in it. Do you know for a fact that God wouldn't forgive a truly repentant Lucifer?

Again you are using a specific word.

Repent.

Just as TezriLi did.

Sure he will love you if you repent.

Will he continue to love you if you remain unrepentant? NO. Therefore conditions.

He will destroy the unrepentant sinner, there is NO love in destruction.

If he can withdrawn love, then there are conditions based on what we do or not do.

Not unconditional love.

I know it is hard to reconcile the feel good yippie Jesus rhetoric that has been around since the 60s.

But God is NOT an unconditionally loving God. He will repay those that have transgressed. The King said just that.

Isa 54:7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.
8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.
9 For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.
10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

I'm interested with this topic but I don't understand.

So unconditional love is accepting, others abusive(verbally,emotionally) behavior?

what if they never change and keep doing it,...

and what if its, not just family or friends ..but a minister or pastor...

to me it seems like an okay for people to treat you however they like, this sorta reminds me of my thread_ about whether we should or shouldn't defend ourselves..

to me such a one sided ,abusive relationship can lead not only to a tremendous drop in self esteem but
probably Stockholm syndrome.. ( probably)

@ mitspa, I acknowledge that God is very kind... but has executed judgment on people( which He full well can do since He is God).

* Sodom& Gomorrah
* Flood
* opened the earth to swallow someone's family
*Even allowed one of ..no two of Aaron's son's to die..

and he says His spirit won't put up with man forever.....

so I'm wondering, why should we?

I'm interested with this topic but I don't understand.

So unconditional love is accepting, others abusive(verbally,emotionally) behavior?

what if they never change and keep doing it,...

and what if its, not just family or friends ..but a minister or pastor...
Not as I understand it, Pancakes. It's loving them in spite of their behaviors, not, at all, accepting their behavior.

to me it seems like an okay for people to treat you however they like, this sorta reminds me of my thread_ about whether we should or shouldn't defend ourselves..

to me such a one sided ,abusive relationship can lead not only to a tremendous drop in self esteem but
probably Stockholm syndrome.. ( probably)
It is never okay to accept abusive behavior, Pancakes. There is no excuse, whatsoever, for abuse.

I'm not trying to confuse anything..just understand...

my brain is hurting trying to understand this....

I know you're supposed to love them but.... without confrontation, to me, it perpetuates such behavior and
makes you a doormat( I only speak out of experience)

Idk, when it comes to unconditional love it seems you aren't supposed to confront such behavior
or else it will cancel out the unconditional portion of God's agape love. we're trying to mimic.
this seems what most believe.

I'm not trying to confuse anything..just understand...

my brain is hurting trying to understand this....

I know you're supposed to love them but.... without confrontation, to me, it perpetuates such behavior and
makes you a doormat( I only speak out of experience)

Idk, when it comes to unconditional love it seems you aren't supposed to confront such behavior
or else it will cancel out the unconditional portion of God's agape love. we're trying to mimic.
this seems what most believe.
The most loving thing one can do is confront bad behavior, Pancakes. G-d confronts ours because He loves us; we confront theirs because we love them.

Only God's love is unconditional, but even that love is limited. That means not everyone will go to Heaven even though He died for us all. Never accept abuse. To turn the other cheek only means to not hold a grudge, to send away (aka forgive) their offense so it doesn't affect you in your heart. It doesn't mean stand there and let them beat you (even verbally). Study how Jesus responded to those that abused Him (exception being His death on the cross as that was His mission and HE laid down His life, no one took it, John 10:17.) Sometimes He was silent and wrote, John 8:6, sometimes he rebuked their hypocrisy, Mat 12:34. To love someone with God's love can only come from God. God will always give you the right words to say in any situation if you learn to lean on Him and trust the information He gives you.

@ mitspa, I acknowledge that God is very kind... but has executed judgment on people( which He full well can do since He is God).

* Sodom& Gomorrah
* Flood
* opened the earth to swallow someone's family
*Even allowed one of ..no two of Aaron's son's to die..

and he says His spirit won't put up with man forever.....

so I'm wondering, why should we?
There is a condition in Jesus Christ, where Gods mercy is guaranteed and cannot be removed...but it takes real faith and real biblical agape to take hold of these promises as the one I posted prior.

Only God's love is unconditional, but even that love is limited. That means not everyone will go to Heaven even though He died for us all. Never accept abuse. To turn the other cheek only means to not hold a grudge, to send away (aka forgive) their offense so it doesn't affect you in your heart. It doesn't mean stand there and let them beat you (even verbally). Study how Jesus responded to those that abused Him (exception being His death on the cross as that was His mission and HE laid down His life, no one took it, John 10:17.) Sometimes He was silent and wrote, John 8:6, sometimes he rebuked their hypocrisy, Mat 12:34. To love someone with God's love can only come from God. God will always give you the right words to say in any situation if you learn to lean on Him and trust the information He gives you.

I was waiting for this, I totally agree..I would bold the words I agree with but my tablet acts up..so I'll just state it here.
I totally agree Gods love, while unconditional and long suffering.... has limits
and like you said, sometimes He was silent but other times he rebukes.... turnt over a table and made a whip .
I think your answer was very insightful.

i

There is a condition in Jesus Christ, where Gods mercy is guaranteed anchristians e removed...but it takes real faith and real biblical agape to take hold of these promises as the one I posted prior.

Yep, I agree... I just wish, those conditions are spoken about the first time along with the love and grace most christians shove on potential believers.

It just reminds me when I was newly saved.... all I heard about was love,love and more love
not much about anything else.

Again you are using a specific word.

Repent.

Just as TezriLi did.

Sure he will love you if you repent.

Will he continue to love you if you remain unrepentant? NO. Therefore conditions.

He will destroy the unrepentant sinner, there is NO love in destruction.

If he can withdrawn love, then there are conditions based on what we do or not do.

Not unconditional love.

I know it is hard to reconcile the feel good yippie Jesus rhetoric that has been around since the 60s.

But God is NOT an unconditionally loving God. He will repay those that have transgressed. The King said just that.

Agreed.

I was waiting for this, I totally agree..I would bold the words I agree with but my tablet acts up..so I'll just state it here.
I totally agree Gods love, while unconditional and long suffering.... has limits
and like you said, sometimes He was silent but other times he rebukes.... turnt over a table and made a whip .
I think your answer was very insightful.

i

If Jack loves Jill but Jill wants nothing to do with Jack, Jack cannot force Jill to love him. And if Jack means what he says, then he will love her enough to leave her alone because that is what she has decided.

Those who go to hell are not put there against their will -- they have made a decision not to accept God. And God loves them enough to not force them into His presence since that is what they don't want.

Unconditional love.

Well what about Jonah... it was more than obvious that he did not want to preach to the people of Ninevah, he hopped on a boat the other way. That was Jonahs free will..but God ✴made✴ a fish swallow him up and set him back on the right path...

Another thing I noticed, when Abraham lied to abimelech He went to abimelech and not Abraham for his own sin..that I don't get, and David when he sinned God dealt with Him personally,and he was a king..Abe was not.

IDK, God certainly doesn't deal with people the same : / yet He isn'tpartial.... idk

Only God's love is unconditional, but even that love is limited.

If love is limited, it means there is a condition.

The two ideas cancel one another.

We have to just accept that God is not going to love without any reservations. If that were true he'd forgive all without Jesus, including every fallen angel.

This relentless desire to have unconditional love is a human construct to try and make themselves feel good when they feel bad. It is to counter shame. Shame is a valid feeling and is needed. To try and cover it up and say well I can do whatever I please and God will still love me is error at the least, heresy at worst.

This is just as error filled as the blanket statement that God never changes. It is just not scripturally supported.

Back